U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 AM

6,098 posts, read 2,508,465 times

Advertisements

Does anyone own a .338 lupula? How do these compare to a .50 bmg (barrett M82, etc) as far as deflection from objects or pentration of metals etc.

I have been told that the .338 is better in every way to a .50 but I am not quite sure about. I have seen a .50 penetrate an engine block and stop a vehical and I am not convinced that a .338 can do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 09:23 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
What you want is the .416 Barrett

Old 02-04-2016, 10:06 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,617,577 times
You're getting into some serious boutique items at that point. Better define and understand the use, budget, etc. before you bite into that.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:02 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,778,501 times
I don't own a rifle in either 338 Lapua or 50 BMG, but, the 50 is a much bigger cartridge. They are not really in the same class regarding power, although both have been used as long-range sniper rounds. The 50 rifles are really BIG. They are big, long, and will wear you out carrying them far unless you are in really good shape, and it wouldn't hurt to be a big guy over 6' tall as well as in great physical condition. Neither rifle is exactly cheap, either. Even if you hand-load, ammo is not cheap either. I think the 50 has been shot with reduced loads and cast bullets, which could tame the cost at least some.

As JWG noted, your intended use and budget will probably dictate if one of these or something else is what you want.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:46 PM

16,177 posts, read 27,465,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Does anyone own a .338 lupula? How do these compare to a .50 bmg (barrett M82, etc) as far as deflection from objects or pentration of metals etc.

I have been told that the .338 is better in every way to a .50 but I am not quite sure about. I have seen a .50 penetrate an engine block and stop a vehical and I am not convinced that a .338 can do the same.
The .50 BMG is more powerful then the .338 Lapua. A .50BMG works quite well on hard targets and armor piercing rounds, while the .338 Lapua can be used as a long range sniper rifle. However, some versions of the .338 Lapua are used for hunting. Savage and several gun manufacturers offer the .338 Lapua.

Story of .338 Lapua Magnum - Nammo Lapua

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LEe-RQmpJg

By the way, the rifles shown above have muzzle brakes. The recoil isn't too bad unless you don't set the butt pad solidly on your shoulder. In this case, the rifle slaps your shoulder, which in turn scares you

The Savage .338 Lapua (click on the right caliber):
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...ONGRANGEHUNTER

A longer shot with a .338 Lapua:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emJ0RToUYGE

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-04-2016 at 09:10 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 AM

806 posts, read 555,410 times
A friend of mine ( now deceased ) owned both . The Barrett was far less accurate but would stop a soft skinned vehicle at longer ranges . The .338 was so accurate at 1000 yds that it was like cheating .

Old 02-05-2016, 09:41 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I don't own a rifle in either 338 Lapua or 50 BMG, but, the 50 is a much bigger cartridge. They are not really in the same class regarding power, although both have been used as long-range sniper rounds. The 50 rifles are really BIG. They are big, long, and will wear you out carrying them far unless you are in really good shape, and it wouldn't hurt to be a big guy over 6' tall as well as in great physical condition. Neither rifle is exactly cheap, either. Even if you hand-load, ammo is not cheap either. I think the 50 has been shot with reduced loads and cast bullets, which could tame the cost at least some.

As JWG noted, your intended use and budget will probably dictate if one of these or something else is what you want.
The single shot and semi bmg that fits on a standard upper brings the weight down quite a bit but it's still heavy.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:54 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,595,785 times
These are specialty rifles with distinctly different uses.

FWIW - the .50 cal. round was derived from a WW1 Mauser anti armor rifle. The cartridge was later refined for use in the Browning Machine Gun. Now it has been adapted as a long range sniper anti vehicle round. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM

2,774 posts, read 3,683,653 times
It depends on what you want to use it for.

The .50BMG was developed/intended as an medium- to long-range anti-materiel/anti-armor caliber. It can be used as an anti-personnel firearm at extreme ranges using specialized projectiles; it reaches those ranges by extreme power, not by advanced aerodynamics. It can also be used for hunting, but unless you are going after African big game (elephants, lions) it's stupidly overpowered. Also, firearms in this caliber are massive, heavy, and insanely expensive, not to mention illegal in several states.

The .338 Lapua was developed/intended as an extreme-range anti-personnel caliber and is highly regarded in that role. Similarly, it is an excellent extreme-range medium to large-game hunting caliber (anything human sized or a little larger). It can be used as a medium- to long-range anti-materiel caliber, but it's limited by small projectile weights. Several manufacturers make hunting and "sniper-style" rifles in this caliber. Various types of ammo is somewhat readily available.

If you want the best of both worlds, maybe consider the .416 Barrett as mentioned above. It was designed as a compromise between the .338 Lapua Mag and the .50BMG. Larger, heavier bullets than the .338 for better anti-materiel effectiveness; along with high-tech aerodynamics, lighter recoil, and lighter firearms than the .50 BMG for better accuracy and easier transportation.

If you just want to punch holes in paper at extreme ranges, go with the .338 Lapua. Much better firearm and ammo selection along with the lightest recoil of the three. If you have dreams of holding off the might of the Fed Guv'mint during a Waco-style siege (or invading forces during a Red Dawn scenario), then go for the .50 BMG or .416 Barrett. It won't work in the long run, but you might stop a few APC's with the larger calibers before then get to you.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,778,501 times
50 BMG *can* be accurate, but realize that standard GI ammo is not particularly accurate, it actually is intended to have a certain minimum dispersion for use in Ma Deuce. A match quality 50 bullet is probably out there, not certain as I don't have one, have not really researched it. The .338 Lapua was intended for extreme accuracy from the git-go, so I would expect most any factory ammo available for it to be capable of really good accuracy. I think you can get "proper" hunting bullets for the .50, in general a soft point or hollow point bullet is more accurate than a full metal jacket.

I'm not certain if bullet swaging equipment is out there for the .50, probably it is. In that case, you can, within reason, make whatever you want in terms of a jacketed bullet. A cast or cast with gas check bullet could be made up, there are all sorts of custom mold makers out there. A cast bullet with a decent meplat could probably be used to hunt most any big game in North America in the .50. Maximum velocity would probably not be needed since cast bullets would be in the 800 to 600 grain range. I think the standard hardball bullet is 750 grains. The .50 has about the same proportions as a 30-06, just bigger, so it probably is a good but not ideal cast bullet round.

The rifle would still be long and heavy, but if you want to hunt like a sniper rather than still hunt, the weight and length would not be that much of a disadvantage. All this assumes you want or actually need a .50 for some other reason, but you want to hunt with it, just because.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting