Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 04:58 PM

676 posts, read 931,495 times

Advertisements

I didn't know I could sell handguns on FB..someone else said this too..Really ? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Sell it on Craigslist or a FB forum.

Don't give it to the police, what a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 06:21 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,139,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Call your local law enforcement agency. They can best tell you how to get rid of them.You may not get any money but at least you know that a legit person will be taking them off your hands.

wrong, calling a cop to come steal your goods is not the way to go. better totake it to a gun store or look up the info on the net than to give legally owned goods to a so called public servant.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:09 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,302,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
I don't know what part of the country those of you that think one would have a problem with any of the LEO. We seem to have an excellent rapport with the city police and country sheriff in our neck of the woods.
That's just the paranoia showing by some people when you mention guns and LEO.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:11 AM

806 posts, read 869,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
wrong, calling a cop to come steal your goods is not the way to go. better totake it to a gun store or look up the info on the net than to give legally owned goods to a so called public servant.
Those two sentences speak volumes about your character .

Old 03-29-2016, 07:46 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,522,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
Those two sentences speak volumes about your character .
It certainly does. He has common sense.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:05 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,611,983 times
Default First instinct of police will be to take everything "for safety".

Quote:
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean somebody isn't actually out to get you.

Cops aren't magically more ethical than the average Joe, and the average police officer doesn't know much, if anything, about ammunition. A gun store owner will have a better grounding in firearms laws and values than police, and won't be able to use the power of the uniform to argue that you should just hand your stuff over for free.

Police can make you think they're doing you a favor by taking these "unwanted" items off your hands and "disposing" of them, and won't mention the value -- potentially hundreds of dollars for ammo, thousands for firearms.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,514,876 times
Quote:
Gun owners and more importantly 2nd Ammendment advocates for the most part extremely independent and very protective of that most important of Constitutional right.

It has nothing to do with paranoia.

As a former LEO and Active RKBA advocate I understand that paradigm very well.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:06 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,767,018 times
Quote:
Yeah it's not paranoia, it's more of a philosophical viewpoint - why involve the government into something that we as individuals can do ourselves? All of us, I assume, own weapons because we recognize our rights as individuals to assume personal responsibility without the need for government interference unless it's an extreme emergency, and then as, essentially, a "second" responder after ourselves.

You go to your local PD and it might be cool, or they might have you fill out multiple forms and sign this and that and require you to answer some probing questions. It's a hassle, it's beaurocratic, and it serves no practical purpose to the legitimate citizen.

Old 03-29-2016, 02:09 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,548,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah it's not paranoia, it's more of a philosophical viewpoint - why involve the government into something that we as individuals can do ourselves?
You go to your local PD and it might be cool, or they might have you fill out multiple forms and sign this and that and require you to answer some probing questions. It's a hassle, it's beaurocratic, and it serves no practical purpose to the legitimate citizen.
Of course it serves a practical purpose. It help you ensure you are handling it the proper way in the eyes of the law. It prevents possible misunderstandings in the future should something happen with either the ammo or the owner.

Seems like a prudent course of action to me.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:22 PM

14,986 posts, read 23,767,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Of course it serves a practical purpose. It help you ensure you are handling it the proper way in the eyes of the law. It prevents possible misunderstandings in the future should something happen with either the ammo or the owner.

Seems like a prudent course of action to me.
I hate to bring the topic into this direction but this is generally the same argument used for government mandated gun control in general - in fact that is the entire argument for gun control.
In fact it takes it to even a further extreme as you seem to endorse government regulation and control of ammunition to prevent "misunderstandings" and distribution within "the eyes of the law", something that is in place only, I think, in California.

This is something you will not get much support for here. Citizens can and will distribute ammo within the eyes of common sense, no "law" needed.

Edit: Maybe the above is too strong saying you endorse this or that. I know you are saying in so many words "hey why not, just in case". The great thing about the US is that you have the option I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting