Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 11:54 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Remember, the OP's budget was $200 - $300.

Here's another 9mm option under $300 - a 17+1 Ruger full size semiauto SR9E. Very easy & comfortable to shoot, and Ruger's customer service is second to none:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/374
OK my final opinion on this.

+++1 what Scopro said. You will not go wrong with an SR9, unless you have tiny hands. I have three for "class guns." Roughly ten thousand rounds on each with zero gun caused malfs. They all need a spring set, but I'm kind of waiting to see how far they go without failure. They are regularly cleaned and lubed after each shoot.

As for budget, if you only have $200 get a HiPoint. Better yet save for a Ruger or save more for a Glock or XD, or even a Sig. You won't go wrong with any of them.

I've also had amazing service from my Canik "Shark" 9mm from Turkey. Paid $350, it's my "fun gun," though I've considered carrying it. But great quality for an inexpensive gun. If you can find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 12:03 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
OK my final opinion on this.

+++1 what Scopro said. You will not go wrong with an SR9, unless you have tiny hands. I have three for "class guns." Roughly ten thousand rounds on each with zero gun caused malfs. They all need a spring set, but I'm kind of waiting to see how far they go without failure. They are regularly cleaned and lubed after each shoot.

As for budget, if you only have $200 get a HiPoint. Better yet save for a Ruger or save more for a Glock or XD, or even a Sig. You won't go wrong with any of them.

I've also had amazing service from my Canik "Shark" 9mm from Turkey. Paid $350, it's my "fun gun," though I've considered carrying it. But great quality for an inexpensive gun. If you can find one.
The sr9e is a good choice too. I forgot about that one, I saw it for sale for $299 not long ago. Agree that ruger's customer service is 2nd to none.

Edit: check out the smith & wesson sd9ve

Last edited by ShiverMeTimber; 12-01-2016 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-01-2016, 12:50 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
I disagree. A $200 mossberg maverick 88 (fits right in with the OP's price range) oaded with LOW RECOIL BUCK is a breeze for any woman even one handed if for some unfathomable reason she would need to do that (never) LOL. The police almost exclusively use low recoil buckshot.

Also everything I've ever read on home invasion specifically stated NOT to go investigating around with a flashlight. You're supposed to make the hallway or stairs a "last stand" area, sit and wait. If you go around in the dark with a flashlight, an intruder will have the jump on you every time. Imagine being dark and hearing footsteps and then seeing a flashlight waving around.

A shotgun with low recoil 00 buck is probably THE most effective and cost efficient self defense gun there is.

I appreciate your comments. Certainly shotguns have a purpose in home defense. And I had forgotten the op's budget. My gun budget is basically unlimited. But nothing wrong with a Maverick 88, I use one in classes. I like the Maverick for the traditional stock. You need a stock, not a pistol grip. The pistol grip slams your hand, where a traditional angled grip on a stock transmits recoil to your shoulder.

But, ahem... my go-to home scattergun is an1890's style coach gun. So, do as I say, not as I do. LOL But nothing says "get off my lawn" like a double barrel 12ga!

I have numerous preferences for handgun over shotgun though. One, you can conceal it, I have a walled, gated home. A couple of times I have answered the gate with my pistol in hand, hidden behind my leg. Moving in a house a handgun is easier and frees a hand for other needs. A shotgun in an untrained hand is unwieldly and easy for a bg to grab.

Low recoil is fine for practice. I load 3" magnum buck for real. But the recoil is, epic.

Regarding taking a stand, yes. I teach, as most instructors do, call 911, retreat to the bedroom (grabbing your shotgun on the way) barricade behind the bed, state, "I have a gun, do not enter, go away." Blow them in half if they enter. (At least in my state, that will usually be reasonable and legal.)

BUT, you may not have the shotgun handy. Mine is in a closet. But my pistol I put on a table or in a drawer by the entry when I come home. Some folks carry at home, but I wouldn't live where I felt I had to be armed at home. Also, you may not be able to make it to the bedroom, or the shotgun.

Tom Givens of Rangemaster did a study with interesting results. About 90% of gunfights in their study occurred in and around commercial locations, not at home. Which may be an anomally.

But again, in a home situation I feel it is easier, and a better chance of success for an untrained or limited trained person to use a two hand grip on a pistol, front sight on target, pull trigger.

I'm not big on revolvers, but this would be a classic use, and there are plenty of 70 & 80 year old grandmothers out there who have blown away robbers in their homes with grandpa's old .38 revolver.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I appreciate your comments. Certainly shotguns have a purpose in home defense. And I had forgotten the op's budget. My gun budget is basically unlimited. But nothing wrong with a Maverick 88, I use one in classes. I like the Maverick for the traditional stock. You need a stock, not a pistol grip. The pistol grip slams your hand, where a traditional angled grip on a stock transmits recoil to your shoulder.

But, ahem... my go-to home scattergun is an1890's style coach gun. So, do as I say, not as I do. LOL But nothing says "get off my lawn" like a double barrel 12ga!

I have numerous preferences for handgun over shotgun though. One, you can conceal it, I have a walled, gated home. A couple of times I have answered the gate with my pistol in hand, hidden behind my leg. Moving in a house a handgun is easier and frees a hand for other needs. A shotgun in an untrained hand is unwieldly and easy for a bg to grab.

Low recoil is fine for practice. I load 3" magnum buck for real. But the recoil is, epic.

Regarding taking a stand, yes. I teach, as most instructors do, call 911, retreat to the bedroom (grabbing your shotgun on the way) barricade behind the bed, state, "I have a gun, do not enter, go away." Blow them in half if they enter. (At least in my state, that will usually be reasonable and legal.)

BUT, you may not have the shotgun handy. Mine is in a closet. But my pistol I put on a table or in a drawer by the entry when I come home. Some folks carry at home, but I wouldn't live where I felt I had to be armed at home. Also, you may not be able to make it to the bedroom, or the shotgun.

Tom Givens of Rangemaster did a study with interesting results. About 90% of gunfights in their study occurred in and around commercial locations, not at home. Which may be an anomally.

But again, in a home situation I feel it is easier, and a better chance of success for an untrained or limited trained person to use a two hand grip on a pistol, front sight on target, pull trigger.

I'm not big on revolvers, but this would be a classic use, and there are plenty of 70 & 80 year old grandmothers out there who have blown away robbers in their homes with grandpa's old .38 revolver.
Lol all good points! I remember an article in the news earlier this year titled "entire family kills intruder". Practically every family member grabbed their gun and filled him full of lead after the robber climbed through the window. I don't know if this is right but those types of stories make me a bit joyful. Especially with everything regarding guns in the news being negative these days.

I envy your coach gun! I hope to own one myself one of these days. I think you're right that a hand gun is more practical and easy to obtain than a shotgun.

My brother in law snuck a 3" turkey mag in the tube full of birdshot one day as a joke when he asked me to try out his new shotgun. That was NOT fun at all. I've never hurt from a shotgun like that before and I'm a regular slug shooter lol. Those 3" magnum shells are no joke.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:45 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
No it won't. I speak from experience. And you don't have time to rack a slide. And you can't carry one around. And they aren't convenient in a house like a handgun. And you may need one hand for a light, phone, etc. Ever fire a 3" mag buckshot with one hand? You'll only want to do that once.
This is true.

Racking the slide to scare the bad guy?

Criminals will attack with either stealth or surprise or both in their favor. Planning to need time for thinking of extra steps or taking extra steps to defend against a surprise attack is dumb.

That's television myth. Why the heck would someone enter a conflict not having already put a round into the chamber?

Old 12-01-2016, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I disagree. A $200 mossberg maverick 88 (fits right in with the OP's price range) oaded with LOW RECOIL BUCK is a breeze for any woman even one handed if for some unfathomable reason she would need to do that (never) LOL. The police almost exclusively use low recoil buckshot.
I disagree, having fired a few, and I'm a man, but I guess that's something each woman will need to try out before buying one.

Quote:
Also everything I've ever read on home invasion specifically stated NOT to go investigating around with a flashlight. You're supposed to make the hallway or stairs a "last stand" area, sit and wait. If you go around in the dark with a flashlight, an intruder will have the jump on you every time. Imagine being dark and hearing footsteps and then seeing a flashlight waving around.
The intruder already has the jump on you.

I agree with the strategy of staking out a hallway or stair "kill zone" (if your house design permits one--my current house does not).

But the problem is that the intruder already has the jump on you. They (and "they" is more common these days than not) will enter the house and move with blinding speed.

The home owner, on the other hand, will wake up groggy and spend several moments wondering what's happening. Even with a "kill zone" plan of defense, the homeowner is at a disadvantage.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
A 380 hollow point center mass can't be much different than a 9mm. People get shot in the chest with a 9mm and bigger daily and survive. Look how many criminals have survived a 40 cal to the chest from a police shooting.

For the sake of proving my point, MANY countries military's have carried 380, 32 auto, makarov, 38 special, etc. If the round were not effective, it would not have been the issued side arm for these military armies and police. This was before modern bullet technology such as hollow point too.

For a lot of inexperienced people, the 9mm is jumpy and also the loud supersonic crack is startling. The logic being a hit with a 380 is better than a miss with a 9. The OP clearly states low recoil as a requirement and a $200-$300 price tag. There are only a few quality guns that fit that criteria.
The military doesn't consider a pistol to be a soldier's primary weapon, thus other factors such as weight have higher priority than they would if the pistol were considered the primary weapon.

Most (if not all) modern .380 pistols are small and light, which substantially increases their felt recoil. One can purchase a full-sized 9mm that will have less felt recoil than a small, light .380.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
No it won't. I speak from experience. And you don't have time to rack a slide. And you can't carry one around. And they aren't convenient in a house like a handgun. And you may need one hand for a light, phone, etc. Ever fire a 3" mag buckshot with one hand? You'll only want to do that once.

[mod cut]
[mod cut]

I guess my concern is that if a woman is afraid of a handgun, a shotgun is a good starter weapon. It forces 2 hand use, and it is easy to control. I have a 12 gauge with 2 3/4" shells that my wife could easily handle. I still believe in the case of home defense, it's a great tool--as I thought the OP was asking.

Having said that, if a woman is looking for a concealed carry weapon, I absolutely understand that it isn't exactly viable. I also realize that one-handed, it's difficult to use. I fired mine once one-handed and I dropped it. I realized it was stupid to do so, and never will again.

With all that said, I'm not anti-handgun. I've stongly considered in the past buying a 357 Mag to use for deer hunting, as well as to have on hand for defense.

Last edited by volosong; 12-02-2016 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: deleted off topic political commentary

Old 12-01-2016, 02:51 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Best option is a short barrel 12 ga shotgun. Hard to miss, awesome stopping power, wont go through the walls and kill your neighbors when you miss (or at least less likely to). An added advantage is big unmistakable sound - scare them away if you miss, and all your neighbors will call the police. Even the sound of chambering will sometimes scare off intruders (or make them open fire). I do not think there is anything better for home protection, especially for someone who is not going to spend a lot of time getting comfortable with a high powered handgun.

for concealed carry - get a black leather duster and an arm holster.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is true.

Racking the slide to scare the bad guy?

Criminals will attack with either stealth or surprise or both in their favor. Planning to need time for thinking of extra steps or taking extra steps to defend against a surprise attack is dumb.

That's television myth. Why the heck would someone enter a conflict not having already put a round into the chamber?
Years ago I caught 2 crackheads outside my bedroom window and actually overheard them discussing breaking in through the AC unit. Being a teen at the time, I was scared. I grabbed my shotgun which was my only gun at the time and walked right to my window and racked the slide so loud they had to hear it. They fled. Several weeks later my AC unit got torn out of the window and I returned home to my belongings stolen except my shotgun which was tucked deep in the closet. I'm pretty confident me racking that slide is what caused them to abort their attempt to rob me that night. They waited until i left one evening to do it but at least it wasn't while I was home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting