Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 04:06 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
That's a fun little plinker. Picked up one last year, just because it was a good price. They are said to be finicky with the type of ammunition used. Stingers should be fine.

A couple of notes:

Get a copy of the Walther P22 Bible. Lots of good info on the firearm and a couple sections on how to make a nice gun even better. There is also a Walther forum with a specific P22 sub-forum. Some good YouTube videos about mods too.

I have the 3.4" barrel version and have found it to be incredible inaccurate. It might just be my form, but I have no problems with my Ruger Mark II. There is an option to have a 5" barrel, and the barrel length can be swapped in the same frame. That is only if you are outside of CA. The CA version has loctite on the barrel nut because threaded barrels are not permitted in the state. (When I move out of state next Spring, one of the first things I'm going to do is visit a gunsmith in my new state and have that fixed so that I can us the longer barrel.) However, the 3.4" version is a lot smaller, and probably easier to maneuver or swing around, ("better" for personal protection purposes?).

The only thing I really don't like about the gun, other than not being able to hit the side of a barn from ten feet away is putting the thing back together after cleaning it. I just haven't found the secret to easily holding the spring when re-attaching the slide. Frustrating! Every gun should be as easy to field strip and reassemble as a Glock. The magazine disconnect is a pain too, but I understand that can be "fixed" also.

edited to add:
Forgot to mention, picked up a Walther laser sight off the Bay, but not very impressed with it. It fits nice on the rail, but it's a green laser and not really visible during daytime, (at an outdoor shooting range). Might be okay at night or indoors. Outside? Don't waste your money.

Yes I've found the reassembly process to be a bit annoying as well. Don't like the mag release either but it works for my lady. Accuracy wise I've taken it out gunning jackrabbits and haven't had any trouble there. On paper it groups quite well, not a Hi Standard Citation by any means, but it puts then in decent groups at the distances in mind for its use. Hers is the shorty, as dropping it in her haversack,(what I call her purse which it seems I wind up carrying a bunch lol) is part of the plan. I have'ny had any malfunctions but I've only used quality ammo in it. Stingers, mini mags and some Fiochii stuff and its gobbled it all. I even sacrificed some of my precious Winchester Expediters I've been hoarding for a ...long time, and for defensive use for her stoking with those is possible as well. Been saving those, ever so carefully , for just such a purpose. They blow Stingers away, and that's saying something. I wish they still made them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 01:42 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiverMeTimber View Post
The safety is between your ears and the little hook on the hand

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
No problem. My bad.

Old 12-06-2016, 03:11 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
I'm late to this conversation and haven't read all through but I'll add my suggestion.

I'm a 60s woman, 5'3" and had been practicing with husband's when I decided to get my ccp and my own gun. I found the S&W M&P shield, 9mm is perfect for me and doesn't have a big kick. I have small hands and the single stack fits quite well. I now carry all the time unless with husband when he is carrying.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:43 PM

153 posts, read 144,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Get a taser and call it a day.

A Taser for self defense? Worst idea on earth. Good way to get yourself killed.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
At that price range , maybe a Bersa .380 . I have no experience with Bersa but I do know people that are fans .
I have that gun.

Cheap, reliable, and just works.

My wife has a Smith and Wesson 38 revolver. It's a nice one. And revolvers don't jam.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:49 PM

153 posts, read 144,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd say a 12 gauge pump shotgun. Easy to shoot and effective at close range. The pumping sound alone will make most thieves run.

More gunstore salesman myths...........

Old 12-07-2016, 06:39 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Built View Post
Revolvers are obsolete? LOL Is that you James Yeager?

A self defense pistol is for personal protection to get yourself out of a jam. Not to get yourself into one. A revolver is fine. You are not serving search warrants at the Branch Davidian Compound. You are not law enforcement or military.

The Glock 19 is a great gun and probably ideal. But to say "revolvers are obsolete" for personal protection is laughable.

Tell that to the Georgia woman who found herself facing three home invaders. There are numerous instances where a citizen has been faced with multiple threats. Fortunately for her, she had a semi-automatic and was able to successfully defend herself. Another Georgia woman a few years ago found herself trapped in an attic with only a revolver, which she emptied at the invader. It didn't kill him, and lucky for her, he didn't have a firearm and was unable to press on the attack. But that woman was out of ammo and could have been at the mercy of the assailant. A revolver is fine for plinking away on a weekend. It should not be considered as a primary defensive weapon because you only have five or six rounds and you will not be able to reload while under attack. My Glock 23 can put 14 rounds down range before it needs to be reloaded. And I can reload it in a second or two and have 13 more rounds at my disposal. A revolver will never be able to match that.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The military doesn't consider a pistol to be a soldier's primary weapon, thus other factors such as weight have higher priority than they would if the pistol were considered the primary weapon.

Your primary duty weapon depends on your rank and your MOS/AFSC/Rating. It can be a pistol. My primary duty weapon was the M-9 pistol. It was all I carried, even when I was in Afghanistan.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
A glock has no safety as well as many other striker fired guns.

The Glock has three passive safeties. That is why they don't have an external active safety. Keep your nose picker off the bang switch and it will never go "Boom". If you have an inadvertant discharge, it is due to negligence, and cannot be considered accidental.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:59 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Depends on where you live I guess. Can't have more than a 10 in some states and at least one is only 7. Really stupid people coming up with these laws.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting