Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 08:38 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
It was an issued weapon, so I didn't have a choice.
Then I'd have had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with the armorer.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 09:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Then I'd have had a "Come to Jesus" meeting with the armorer.......
We were eventually issued semi-automatics because the government agency we contracted with didn't like the idea of us having six shooters with speed loaders. Obviously, though, the OP may not need a high capacity weapon with magazines that are easy to change out. That is a concern for security, corrections, and law enforcement.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post

Academy as noted - but I'd price check them, then Nagle's and The Powderhorn (inside Loop 410, between Marbach and Hwy 90) for decent used guns. Only drawback is that they'll both be closed tomorrow and Monday.
I don't know if a used gun is a great idea for a complete novice. My husband bought a used gun a couple months ago from a reputable gun shop (not going to mention which one), and they had put so much oil on it that it was dripping. He asked if they could take the slide off so he could look at it and they said no. He bought it anyhow, and when he took it apart to clean it, the slide was almost impossible to remove. It turned out they had put the spring in backwards. It was easy enough to correct but someone less familiar with guns would have had more of a problem with it. He said either the shop knew something was wrong with it or they hadn't gone over it at all before they sold it.

A used gun is fine for someone who knows a lot about guns or someone who is just going to use it for target shooting at the range but for someone who doesn't know anything at all about guns and wants one because they think they may need it in a specific self-defense situation, it's better to buy new rather than used.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:44 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't know if a used gun is a great idea for a complete novice. My husband bought a used gun a couple months ago from a reputable gun shop (not going to mention which one), and they had put so much oil on it that it was dripping. He asked if they could take the slide off so he could look at it and they said no. He bought it anyhow, and when he took it apart to clean it, the slide was almost impossible to remove. It turned out they had put the spring in backwards. It was easy enough to correct but someone less familiar with guns would have had more of a problem with it. He said either the shop knew something was wrong with it or they hadn't gone over it at all before they sold it.

A used gun is fine for someone who knows a lot about guns or someone who is just going to use it for target shooting at the range but for someone who doesn't know anything at all about guns and wants one because they think they may need it in a specific self-defense situation, it's better to buy new rather than used.
A novice should NEVER buy a gun alone, new or used, IMO. You really need someone that's experienced and knowledgeable to give GUIDANCE (note I did NOT say "tell you what to buy!"). I always tell folks that I'm helping that I'm them to give them input, but it's ultimately their choice - and unless they're getting ready to do something COMPLETELY out of line, I'm gonna let them make their own choice.

It's just that semi-auto's and newbies don't mix - and you're not going to "practice" them out of in a a few weeks. It's time on the firing line, time dry firing, time tearing down and learning how things work - THAT is what will make the difference. That's also why I don't suggest cheap....er...."economy priced models - you get what you pay for. When I want a plinking gun, fine - whatever I like. But when it's to protect me and mine.......I'll pay extra.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:38 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
The biggest problem is folks keeping their fingers off the trigger.

Folks think that the heavier pull of a revolver gives them a modicum of safety. However, human factors research shows that under stress people will accidentally pull a double action revolver trigger as easily as something like a Glock trigger.

I understand emergency purchases but one should get to a basics class pronto!!

Semis do jam with poor handling. Folks have trouble correctly positioning their hands on either type of gun, leading to problems.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:14 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times
S.A.P.D. officer recommended I buy a shotgun.

The reason he gave me:
“The chances of hitting the intended target is greater.”

Also to make sure the target was inside “ my property”.

He added, "call me & I will help you drag it to your property.”

Not making it up, this conversation happened.
It never occurred to ask if he was kidding or not.
I was too upset when someone broke into my house &
stole several items.
I now own one.
I will not hesitate to use it & will sleep comfortably afterwards.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:08 PM

283 posts, read 254,918 times
I don't live in San Antonio so I can't comment on the local SA gun store prices but as mentioned, Academy typically has the best prices of the "big box" retailers, although selection is sometimes limited. Cabela's in Buda has a great selection but prices are a little higher.

There is a gun show next weekend at Freeman Coliseum. If he can wait that long, he'll have a chance to handle just about every gun on the market under one roof. I have found the gun shows to be relatively competitive on pricing, but others disagree. Bring cash and the dealers are often willing to deal.

I understand why people recommend revolvers for beginners, but if your co-worker is considered getting a CHL (now called "LTC") and carrying, I would just go ahead and get a semi-auto. I find them much easier to conceal for a variety of reasons and they aren't really complicated once you get the hang of it.

A Glock 19 is never a wrong answer but there are dozens of great options in that category. Seriously, anything that feels comfortable in the hand and is not a Hi-Point or Jimenez would be fine. I would look hard at Kahr, Bersa, and the Ruger SR series for a quality but inexpensive pistol.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:10 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,448 times
Rancho - I don't know if you are making this up but if a police officer said this - He doesn't have the slightest idea what he is talking about.

It's standard internet uninformed blather to suggest a shotgun to untrained people. Dragging someone inside will be quickly discovered and both of you go to jail. You can miss with a shotgun quite easily.

To the OP and listening public, take a quality class and ignore Internet commando BS.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:17 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Rancho - I don't know if you are making this up but if a police officer said this - He doesn't have the slightest idea what he is talking about.

It's standard internet uninformed blather to suggest a shotgun to untrained people. Dragging someone inside will be quickly discovered and both of you go to jail. You can miss with a shotgun quite easily.

To the OP and listening public, take a quality class and ignore Internet commando BS.
Perhaps ranchodrive meant inside property line but yeah, illegal either way. My grandpa kept a sawed off shotgun by his bed after a 14 year old kid broke into his home and stabbed him. Fortunately the injuries healed but he was a nervous wreck for awhile after that. A cop advised him to buy the shotgun and modify it that way. This was years ago and that kid (now a man) is still in prison to this day. We would get notices whenever he was up for parole.

After my grandpa passed away, none of us wanted the shotgun at first but my brother ended up taking it. Not sure what he did with it.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:08 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,619,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post

So by your reasoning, “ I don’t know if you are making this up......”
then it must be “ Internet commando BS”.

Amazing is your ability to make such determinations, even if totally wrong.

First of all, it was not made up.
This was part of a conversation with S.A.P.D. when I was making the police report when
they broke into my home.

I did state in my first reply that it didn’t occur to me to find out if the officer was kidding or not.
I was mostly concern with the breaking in of my home.
I was not making a suggestion. Just sharing what I experienced.

It is your prerogative to interpret it however you want.
But don’t assume you know me.
You only think you do.

Btw:
Good Luck Elnina !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting