Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 02:42 PM

7,910 posts, read 12,614,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I remember watching Miami Vice,tubbs had a neet looking little shotgun,looked like this=
File:Tubbs Remington.bmp.jpg - Internet Movie Firearms Database - Guns in Movies, TV and Video Games
Serbu Firearms

You would need a 5 dollar tax stamp to go with it since it is considered a "AOW".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 04:06 PM

76 posts, read 56,427 times
For me its a 9mm with a hi cap mag. At least 15 rounds. For CCW at least 10 rounds.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:22 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,773,580 times
Yeah I have to agree with the other poster, the term "car gun" is denotes a level of irresponsibility in gun ownership. There is no such term as "car guns" in the gun community, your gun should either be carried on your person or properly secured, a parked automobile is not considered proper security unless you have what is essentially a locking safe in your car (and I do, for those rare cases where I cannot carry a gun into a facility such as court houses or post offices, this safe of course should be secured to the frame of your car).
Basically a car gun should simply be your carry weapon, an exception perhaps for long gun if you have the need to maintain one in your car, but again those should be in secure areas.

This just bugs me - car break-ins occur all the time and I would say the number one source of gangbanger illegal guns is those idiots that keep guns in glove compartments and they end up stolen. It's irresponsible. If you can't keep your weapon on your person and not in your car when it is unoccupied, you should not be a gun owner. Do not keep a gun in an unoccupied car, I just can't stress that enough.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:37 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,237,241 times
For the times when we have to leave a gun in the car,
on a revolver a case hardened padlock thru the top strap makes it where it would take a torch to remove the lock and the heat would then destroy the firearm.
On a semi auto pistol, magazine removed, the slide locked back and a case hardened long padlock would do the same.
Best "car" gun-capture-lock.jpg

Old 07-24-2016, 08:36 AM

19,446 posts, read 22,362,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah I have to agree with the other poster, the term "car gun" is denotes a level of irresponsibility in gun ownership. There is no such term as "car guns" in the gun community, your gun should either be carried on your person or properly secured, a parked automobile is not considered proper security unless you have what is essentially a locking safe in your car (and I do, for those rare cases where I cannot carry a gun into a facility such as court houses or post offices, this safe of course should be secured to the frame of your car).
Basically a car gun should.
There is a term that is used out here quite often- 'truck gun'. Generally a truck gun is a firearm, usually a rifle, that is not pristine and is handy in size and caliber to be available at a moment's notice for an 'opportunity' shot.

Depending on what I am hunting and where I am at I may have my Marlin .45-70 or my JC Higgins .270 Mauser in the truck.

Neither of them are locked or secured in the vehicle, but they are always unloaded but with ammo relatively close at hand.

Obviously I am not sure if this meets the OP's requirements or needs, seeing as though this section is generally more concerned about non-hunting guns and 'things'.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:52 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,773,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
There is a term that is used out here quite often- 'truck gun'. Generally a truck gun is a firearm, usually a rifle, that is not pristine and is handy in size and caliber to be available at a moment's notice for an 'opportunity' shot.

Depending on what I am hunting and where I am at I may have my Marlin .45-70 or my JC Higgins .270 Mauser in the truck.

Neither of them are locked or secured in the vehicle, but they are always unloaded but with ammo relatively close at hand.

Obviously I am not sure if this meets the OP's requirements or needs, seeing as though this section is generally more concerned about non-hunting guns and 'things'.
Yeah I'm from the south, the obligatory gun racks are, or used to be, a common pick-up truck feature in rural areas. My post mentioned long guns as an exception, but I don't think that's what the OP had in mind and I suspect his needs are for an urban environment.
Long guns are ironically not as valuable to thieves, who are looking for the more concealable and thus more easily sold on the black market hand guns. Theives and gangbangers have no use for a lever action Marlin, no market for them, they will sell them for pennies on the dollar. But a used glock sells at a premium. One must always remember only two items in the world are more valuable used/stolen then brand new - 1.) drugs, 2.) handguns.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,589,747 times
Depends on your purpose. A pistol that doesn't leave the vehicle needs to be able to be stowed well and still accessible. Make and model are personal opinions, it helps if they are reliable and cheap.
I always used to toss a rifle in a rack or behind the seat, but that was for multi purpose use.

Personally, for a trunk or truck gun, which would just be a secondary option for me, I would use a M92 pistol, or mini Draco. But you know.... opinions, everybody has them.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:46 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,891,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Basically a car gun should simply be your carry weapon, an exception perhaps for long gun if you have the need to maintain one in your car, but again those should be in secure areas.

This just bugs me - car break-ins occur all the time and I would say the number one source of gangbanger illegal guns is those idiots that keep guns in glove compartments and they end up stolen. It's irresponsible. If you can't keep your weapon on your person and not in your car when it is unoccupied, you should not be a gun owner. Do not keep a gun in an unoccupied car, I just can't stress that enough.
You are spot on. About 35 years ago, I had a job which took me to some dicey neighborhoods so I kept a small pocket pistol in my glove compartment. Sure enough, my car stereo got stolen and they also took the gun. I included it in the police report (it wasn't that big of a deal back then) and a few years later I got a call from the police. They busted a drug dealer and recovered my pistol. Probably traded to him for drugs. The good news is that the dealer bought a holster for it . The bad news is that I was an idiot and will never do that again.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:26 PM

593 posts, read 1,372,818 times
I have a S&W Bodyguard 380. I love it bcuz I carry and keep in my truck. Its small and conceals well, doesnt take up room in my center console either. 5+1 is all u need when really u just need one bullet to make a difference. Most assailants gonna leave the second they see a piece much less hear the first round go off. BTW its very accurate out to 25 yards (75ft) and very easy to control. Im 5'6" and 150 lb and fits well in hand but I also have a 40 cal so hand size and strength are not an issue. I also like the fact that I can keep a round in the chamber and feel comfortable with the safety on. Its one of the very few compacts that come with a standard safety. Good luck in your search.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:36 AM

76 posts, read 56,427 times
If its a gun your not going to carry CCW then I would get a Ruger p89, they are tough, reliable and as of yet still inexpensive. 15 to 18 rounds depending on the mag you get. So you have a lot of fire power for a around 200 give or take for a blued model. The other gun is a Smith and Wesson SD9ve. If you like the poly guns. Its a reliable gun and you can pick one up new for around 275 if you look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting