U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 12:14 PM

10,945 posts, read 14,589,323 times

Advertisements

My Mossy has been my cold weather goose gun too. Just takes a beating and keeps on shooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 04:38 PM

30,881 posts, read 24,200,485 times
as with automobiles, condition is the most important thing to consider when buying a used shotgun. the indicated remington and mossberg are excellent guns new, and they tend to be excellent guns used as well. personally i would go with the mossberg 500. but as with any used gun, have a gunsmith check it over before buying if possible.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:18 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
You can find all sorts of Remington 870's out there, they are hard to wear out. If you are willing to spend a bit more and look harder an old Winchester Model 12 is a damn nice gun, have not been made in years, they are solid and very well made.

Really the only people who wear out shotguns are professional trap and skeet shooters.

A dedicated gun shop should have more knowledgeable floor people and have some new as well as used guns. A pawn shop will tend towards better prices on used guns, but they are generally sold as-is, and you need to be able to evaluate condition before you buy.

If you use a credit card to buy, if the gun turns out to have immediate problems the first time you try it, if you still owe the card for the gun, if you give the pawn shop an honest chance to make the deal right, you can "charge back" the cost, give them back the gun, and you are done.

All that said, I have bought more than 50 used guns over the years, most worked fine from the get-go, a few needed minor tuning and repair to get right. Most gunny people are basically honest (in my experience) and won't try to sell you a broke gun intentionally.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:46 PM

13,752 posts, read 18,393,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Isn't the Maverick the down market 500?

I have a 500. I found that it is much lighter than either the 870 or BPS (which I also have) and has much greater felt recoil. For full disclosure I also have to admit that the only shells I really shoot are heavy goose loads.
A few months ago I bought a Maverick 88 in 12 gauge with the 20" barrel. It's been a very solid gun in the time I've used it and the reviews from others have been very good. It feels just as solid as other 500s and 590s. The only visible difference between the 88 and 500 is the position of the manual safety.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/42628

The price is currently $230 on Bud's. It was $200 when I bought mine and can probably still be found for that price if you look around.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Really the only people who wear out shotguns are professional trap and skeet shooters.
Or guys shooting at geese with 3.5" magnum rounds that tend to miss a lot..

Old 08-16-2016, 11:52 AM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Or guys shooting at geese with 3.5" magnum rounds that tend to miss a lot..
Nahh. Mine aren't worn out yet. Of course I shoot 3 inch shells. And if you have a Benelli it will just click a lot.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nahh. Mine aren't worn out yet. Of course I shoot 3 inch shells. And if you have a Benelli it will just click a lot.
Shoot more geese!

Old 08-16-2016, 03:02 PM

32,106 posts, read 39,170,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Shoot more geese!
If I were to do that here you wouldn't see me on the streets for decades.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:01 PM

345 posts, read 290,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
General purpose and home defense. In terms of actual use, probably skeet shooting.
You say skeet shooting. Now do you mean just for fun or are you serious about it? Remember skeet does require doubles at station 1-2-8. I have shot skeet using a Remington 870 with interchangeable chokes without any problems. However, I would have preferred a over-under like I used in trap shooting but I think that is probably out of your budget. If you really want to get serious in skeet it can require 410-28-20-12 gauge shotguns (preferably O/U) but again I don't think that is the route you are looking at. You also say home defense, in all actuality I would go with any well maintained pump 12 gauge. Now are you going to be bird hunting with the shotgun? Skeet shooting or trap shooting is an excellent way to develop skills needed for hunting. So being partial to the Remington 870 I would go with it and interchangeable chokes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting