Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:46 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times

Advertisements

I ask this, as I'm 35 and having lived in Montana, Wyoming, and North Dakota, three states where hunting would seem to be an activity to do, I have found VERY few people who hunt under the age of 40. Is it not that popular for people under the age of 40 these days? Any of you under the age of 40 who hunt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,243,328 times
I'm 40+ and I hunt, although rare because as an urbanite it's quite expensive. I was raised in a rural area, though, with access to lots of hunting land. Venison, rabbit, and squirrel was our primary source of meat during a few lean years in the early 80's. Keeping a hunting rifle in my vehicle at school was a standard thing that just can't happen these days. I'm afraid my son's just won't develop into hunters because it's so hard to take them.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:47 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I ask this, as I'm 35 and having lived in Montana, Wyoming, and North Dakota, three states where hunting would seem to be an activity to do, I have found VERY few people who hunt under the age of 40. Is it not that popular for people under the age of 40 these days? Any of you under the age of 40 who hunt?

I am 53 and hunt, both of my daughters ages 16 and 19 both hunt as well.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:27 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
I grew up subsistance hunting as a teenager. But haven't hunted in probably 35 years.

I was thinking of moving to Montana so I could shoot a moose without having to get off the sofa. Just open the front door, rest a bipod on the foot of the recliner and blast away.

My hunting friends at the gun club are all late 50's to 70's.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:42 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
My first firearm was a Winchester MDL 74, semiautomatic .22 Cal rifle that I got at the age of 9 in 1941. I hunted rabbits, squirrel, dove with that gun all through WWII........the game taken was an important part of our menu and my mom was a great cook. At age 11, I acquired a used LeFever 12ga sidexside, which enabled me to supplement the game taken with the rifle.......grouse, pheasants, ducks and geese were frequently on the menu.
I still use the .22 rifle and the LeFever (and as you probably suspected I have added several other firearms to the original two.).... I started my big game hunting with white tail deer at age 17, and over these many years have added antelope, black bear, elk, moose, muledeer, caribou, Kodiak bear and wolf.
I still actively hunt and this coming fall season will be my 75th year taking some form of game animal and/or game bird (this fall I will hopefully get my annual whitetail deer within sight of my house with my .243 handload -- 100gr Nosler partition over 43.5grs of 4350.
I'll keep on doing this as long as I can.......

Old 08-25-2016, 05:33 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Reading these posts it does seem that it's not as popular among those under 40. I wonder why that is.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:37 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Reading these posts it does seem that it's not as popular among those under 40. I wonder why that is.

both of my daughters under twenty hunt, they just are not part of the cd community. they both think this forum would be a waste of their time.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:06 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,612,996 times
I am 57 and I have been hunting near 45 years. I have younger cousins hunting that are in their 20's.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:32 PM

125 posts, read 114,225 times
Quote:
It's not as easy as it once was and less and less people are growing up in a lifestyle where hunting is normal. (More people now live in suburbs and cities than ever before, and it's continuing trend)

Anyways OP, I am working on getting the permits and all for hunting.. I don't have land and public land hunting doesn't always work out, but worth a try. (Not alcohol age yet)

I should add, hunting seems to be increasingly something people do for fun/as a hobby over being something people do for food.

It also takes time to hunt, sitting out in the field being still from sun up to sun down takes a lot of dedication, and time which many young people in their 20s and 30s do not have.(but can play videogames??)

Old 08-29-2016, 09:51 PM

417 posts, read 345,541 times
My husband and I hunt, we are in our late twenties, and mid thirties. It is very expensive to hunt; yes, you can do it cheaply, but it is not easy. If I think about how much my husband and I have spent on hunting in the last couple of years, we could probably buy a mansion. Also the reason hunting doesn't appeal to the younger generation is because it takes a lot of time and I have noticed a lot of people in my generation do not want to sit and hunt for hours, they get bored, most people want constant stimulation since the age of cell phones. Both my husband and I grew up hunting. I hope my children one day also gets into hunting and trapping, eating wild venison,bear,pork ect. is better than any meat you will buy, it needs to be passed down from generation to generation so the skill is never lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting