Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 10:42 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
All,
Received a 500$ gift card from cabelas but I hate to waste it on those pricks high dollar guns. Anybody know anything re: crossbows?Don't know what I' do with it really I don't bow hunt or anything. I can't think what else I'd want from those turds....
Thanks
I use a Barnett Recruit Crossbow. In my state (Nebraska), it's legal to use them during archery season. In many states they are only allowed during gun season unless you're disabled. In my experience, Cabelas is very high priced when it comes to crossbows. My Recruit cost me $250 on Amazon.com. You would be doing well to get a good crossbow under $500 at Cabelas.

How about ammo? Clothing? A blind? Tree stand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 03:15 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
All,
Received a 500$ gift card from cabelas but I hate to waste it on those pricks high dollar guns. Anybody know anything re: crossbows?Don't know what I' do with it really I don't bow hunt or anything. I can't think what else I'd want from those turds....
Thanks
You should easily be able to sell the gift card for $450. You could then buy something nice by private sale. Why shop at the BATF franchise?

Old 10-15-2016, 04:16 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You should easily be able to sell the gift card for $450. You could then buy something nice by private sale. Why shop at the BATF franchise?
dingdignding! we have a winner!

Old 10-15-2016, 05:44 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
You could use it to kill Walkers.
Doubtful. Runners, on the other hand...

"Carousel," all!

Old 10-16-2016, 10:20 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
All,
Thanks
I lookd into crossbows here just a month or so back. Couldn't justify one, after handling several types. They're clunky, many are heavier than a loaded Garand, and I can't imagine packing one in brushy country. They're certainly cool, but I codnt find a niche. I can have my longbow strung, and two arrows out, before I could even get a crossbow in loading position.

Maybe, for use as they were designed for, fixed position, armor piercing. ? For hunting, especially in ...crowded..co editions, I'd rather have a short, powerful recurve. Bolts for a crossbow are expensive, too. I make my own arrows for my longbow, force my own tips, a d I favor wood shafts. That's not an option with modern crossbows, or even compounds, . The string velocity tends to split wood. Especially bamboo. 500 clams will vet you some thing(s) far more useful than a crossbow. A VERY nice conventional bow, a nice stash of 5.56 or .45, even a nice new rifle or handgun.

I agree with you about Cabelas. My issue stems from service at the gun counter. When my son was about 12, be worked his tail off, after school and through the Summer, doing everything from shoveling horse poop, to cleaning hards, weeding, Anything and everything, to save up, and bought a 308 AR. He bought the rifle, and still had about close to 500 bucks, and wanted a scope. We were in Cabelas, and he was really excited, but when he tried to get help at the counter they were most rude. Basically "go away kid, we're busy with real customers". When I heard these clowns, I up and spoke over the counter, told them they were azz bats, and that my son would be far better served, spending the five Benjamin's in his pocket elsewhere, since they couldn't be bothered with a young shooter.

That changed the attitude, but we went to Scheels, anyway. Where he was treated very well, and found what he wanted. Haven't been to Cabelas since.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I lookd into crossbows here just a month or so back. Couldn't justify one, after handling several types. They're clunky, many are heavier than a loaded Garand, and I can't imagine packing one in brushy country. They're certainly cool, but I codnt find a niche. I can have my longbow strung, and two arrows out, before I could even get a crossbow in loading position.

Maybe, for use as they were designed for, fixed position, armor piercing. ? For hunting, especially in ...crowded..co editions, I'd rather have a short, powerful recurve. Bolts for a crossbow are expensive, too. I make my own arrows for my longbow, force my own tips, a d I favor wood shafts. That's not an option with modern crossbows, or even compounds, . The string velocity tends to split wood. Especially bamboo. 500 clams will vet you some thing(s) far more useful than a crossbow. A VERY nice conventional bow, a nice stash of 5.56 or .45, even a nice new rifle or handgun.

I agree with you about Cabelas. My issue stems from service at the gun counter. When my son was about 12, be worked his tail off, after school and through the Summer, doing everything from shoveling horse poop, to cleaning hards, weeding, Anything and everything, to save up, and bought a 308 AR. He bought the rifle, and still had about close to 500 bucks, and wanted a scope. We were in Cabelas, and he was really excited, but when he tried to get help at the counter they were most rude. Basically "go away kid, we're busy with real customers". When I heard these clowns, I up and spoke over the counter, told them they were azz bats, and that my son would be far better served, spending the five Benjamin's in his pocket elsewhere, since they couldn't be bothered with a young shooter.

That changed the attitude, but we went to Scheels, anyway. Where he was treated very well, and found what he wanted. Haven't been to Cabelas since.
It really depends on the situation. In a tree stand 15-20 feet up, a compound bow is great. In a ground blind with limited room to draw, a crossbow is awesome. I shot 2 does one morning in about 3 minutes time with my crossbow. I hit one, and heard the leaves shuffling, so I got it reloaded and plugged the next as she stepped out from behind a tree. If you're familiar with it, it can be a great tool.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:57 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
I've always thought they would be good for poaching the kings deer. But since meat comes in a plastic tray I'll probably stick with a gun and a silencer if I have to hunt.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:19 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It really depends on the situation. In a tree stand 15-20 feet up, a compound bow is great. In a ground blind with limited room to draw, a crossbow is awesome. I shot 2 does one morning in about 3 minutes time with my crossbow. I hit one, and heard the leaves shuffling, so I got it reloaded and plugged the next as she stepped out from behind a tree. If you're familiar with it, it can be a great tool.

Oh, I'm not knocking a crossbows potential for usefulness. I just couldnt, personally, find a niche for one. I'd love to have one, and could justify the purchase, quite easily. A guy can always find a reason. I did so with my longbow, cuz I always wanted one, since I was young, when the opportunity arose I justified it all over the place. Lol. I could as easily do the same with the right crossbow.

But, if I had 500bucks to spend on gear right now, I'd probably spend it on ammo and reloading components.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh, I'm not knocking a crossbows potential for usefulness. I just couldnt, personally, find a niche for one. I'd love to have one, and could justify the purchase, quite easily. A guy can always find a reason. I did so with my longbow, cuz I always wanted one, since I was young, when the opportunity arose I justified it all over the place. Lol. I could as easily do the same with the right crossbow.

But, if I had 500bucks to spend on gear right now, I'd probably spend it on ammo and reloading components.
I hear that. I'm actually wanting a new crossbow right now, to be honest...but I can't justify it because I am considering a move and it might be to a state that thinks crossbows are guns and will only allow them to be used during gun season. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why a person would want to use a bow with a < 50 yard range and that takes a minute or more to reload during gun season when I could instead use my bolt-action 30-06 from 200-300 yards or more.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:33 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I have a Parker Bushwhacker- their base model. I think it's like 300fps or something. Came with a scope, 4 bolts, a quiver and I think I paid $350 on sale.

It's quite handy I've dispatched a few critters with it. Mine like the solid G3 broadheads- 120gr variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting