U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 07:22 PM

285 posts, read 1,003,505 times

Advertisements

I would like to purchase a gun for protection in this crazy world and trying to have something to help try to protect myself. I went to a gun range for the first time awhile ago. So I am new to the gun world. Ive tried out a couple of guns yet I have no idea what were called but one and that was a glock.

My question is what are list of guns that have less recoil?

Thanks You guys!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 07:30 PM

3,832 posts, read 1,636,205 times
Default Bond, James Bond

.22 caliber - but most people prefer a bigger caliber. For minimal recoil, I think they still make GyroJet weapons - expensive, though, as I recall. See 1960s Gyrojet Concept Reinvented as Less-lethal Gun | OutdoorHub

GyroJet guns are still around - but scarce ammo. See the above - a less lethal, updated version. Best of luck with it.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:34 PM

9,735 posts, read 5,412,497 times
Well, right off the bat, I would say those which are single stack.

It's not so much the recoil but the force on the body over the years. After having fired double stack for much of 16 years, I am beginning to feel it in the joints.

Caliber has a lot to do with it as well. For example, at times at the range, I'll be shooting my .308 AR-10 and using the range's Rutger .22 to pass the time as the former's barrel cools. The .22 goes ping ping ping while the -10 goes WHOMP with a recoil that is better than sex!

So for whatever pistol you are using, what size round will have a lot to do with it. Ie for me, whether it is my H&K USP or my Kimber Ultra Carry, at a .45 round, it is still a greater take off than my Sig P239 9mm.

Finally, I did test fire the Glocks, found them undesirable to my taste. One of the smaller Glocks, I don't recall which, takes a finger out of holding it steady. With less of a grip on it, IMHO, it is probably going to feel like a heavier recoil when it is fired.

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:36 PM

3,819 posts, read 8,874,904 times
My first suggestion would be to try several different models/calibers at a range if able to see what you handle and shoot well. I happen to prefer 9mm, have a S&W Shield that will be used for any potential carry needs that shoots easy and the ammo can be affordable. My wife who only shoots occasionally does well with the Shield.
Others like a revolver for a first gun for their simplicity.
The most important thought i would have is to get some training and practice. And practice some more. And enjoy it.

I can add my first handgun was a .22 which is very easy to handle and cheaper to shoot. Great for training but as .22 rimfire can be finicky and may not run 100% without any ammo issues (failure to fire or eject) i would not use it for defense. Not saying it cant be used i just would not have complete confidence it would always go bang when the trigger is pulled. Just my .02

Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 PM

11,815 posts, read 15,408,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I would like to purchase a gun for protection in this crazy world and trying to have something to help try to protect myself. I went to a gun range for the first time awhile ago. So I am new to the gun world. Ive tried out a couple of guns yet I have no idea what were called but one and that was a glock.

Thanks You guys!
Home protection only or do you want to carry a firearm?

For home I'd say a .410 pump shotgun- there are a lot of other options but that one comes to mind.

As far as a carry- well that opens it up quite a bit.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 PM

4,555 posts, read 4,391,081 times
Probably the combination that has the least amount recoil using 'traditional' rounds, (casing, primer, gunpowder, bullet), would be a Single Six loaded with .22 Shorts. However, that's not going to do anything against an attacker other than tick him off.

I second the recommendation of a M&P Shield in 9mm. That's probably the smallest caliber you want for protection. A .38 would work also. Recoil isn't too bad, but you'll need to learn to hold your wrist firm. My concealed carry firearm is a 9mm Shield.

You mention that you are new to firearms. Please, please, please pay the hundred bucks or so to get some professional training. These things are not toys and I'd be willing to bet that more people are injured or killed with firearms because of stupidity and not knowing how to properly handle a firearm than by those with less than honorable intentions. Your range can help you find a qualified instructor.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-20-2016, 08:04 PM

1,623 posts, read 819,842 times
Quote:

Thanks You guys!

The problem with recoil is indirectly proportional to the weight of the firearm, the more the firearm weighs, the less felt recoil you will have. Letís say a firearm recoils with 6 pounds of energy, if that same firearm that recoils with 6 pounds of energy weighs 16 ounces (1 pound) that is 5 pounds of recoil that will be going into you. Now if that weapon weighs in at 40 ounces (2 and 1/2 pounds) that is only 3 1/2 pounds of recoil going into the shooter.

So the lighter the weapon is, the more pleasant it will be to carry, the more you the shooter will feel the recoil of the weapon when it is shot. And the heaver the weapon is, the harder it will be to hold steady when shooting, the less it will recoil in your hand making it more fun to shoot.

Caliber also has allot do to with it as well. Small caliber firearms like 22, has a very light recoil, while calibers like the 500 Smith & Wesson, will feel like they want to break your wrist. The trick will be finding the right combination of weight and caliber that works best for you, it might sound like a copout, but it is true, what works best for me, most likely will not be best for you. Good Luck in your search, and once you decide on what you are getting, practice allot.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:00 PM

9,519 posts, read 10,822,100 times
Quote:

Thanks You guys!
But what is comfortable for you. That means a heavier gun shooting relatively light loads. A light gun means the lightest loads. There are light revolvers chambered for .22. Plenty of people have successfully defended themselves with these. Beretta makes a very nice little .22 auto. You need nothing more.

Glock makes guns in several different chamberings. Consider a .380. In fact, there's no reason to carry anything more powerful. The Browning BDA fires the .380; it's a heavy gun. No longer made, you may find one at a show. There are other suitable guns in .380 and .32.

Visit some gunshows. Talk to folks who have a few used guns for sale. Tell them what you want. Avoid the flashy dealers who have the most powerful guns.

If need be, carry a .22 short. It won't make anyone mad, but just the sight of it will send a criminal running.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:12 AM

2,892 posts, read 5,256,247 times
Quote:

Thanks You guys!
For a given caliber, guns with longer barrels and more weight will reduce the recoil you feel.

An interesting test for you would be to shoot a few mags of a CZ75 SP-01 in 9mm. All Steel. 41.6 ounces. Then fire a tiny polymer concealed and carry gun, like a Glock 43. <18 ounces.

Sam cartridge. Same powder charge. But when that primer is struck and the explosive gasses emerge, it is the design of the gun that will determine what you ultimately feel.

One way to think of it is in this order

1) what will it be used for? How many rounds are necessary?
2) How will be it used/carried?
3) what is your budget? Consider all costs.
4) which guns fit your hands comfortably?
5) All necessary features
6) Minimum recoil within the list of guns that make it through 1-4.

Choose an easy to buy cartridge. 9mm is an easy default.

This will get you started...from there you will find more spirited debate than in an election year!

Sub-Compact
Glock 26 or 43
CZ 2075 RAMI

Compact
CZ 75 P01

Full
CZ 75 SP01
Glock 19

Good Luck!
S.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,379 times
Default less recoil

I shoot revolvers, a 22 magnum has great penetration, with little recoil. They penetrate as well as 9mm or 38 spcl. with out the recoil. Drawback, no knock down force. I recommend the magnum, your likely to be more accurate if your not worried about recoil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting