Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:19 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,427 times

Advertisements

Agreed, depends on the rifle and ammo. My 60+ year old Remington Model510 will outshoot all of my 10/22's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 09:51 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, objectively, dead stock, they don't have that great inherent accuracy, and the trigger is not very good. Both can be fixed with aftermarket parts.

I am sort of surprised Ruger does not just break down and install these aftermarket "fixes" at the factory, this would get a better rifle out there for less money than buying what they make now and then "fixing" it.

Particularly the trigger.

Agreed. A 22 rifle is not a piece that I would buy with the intent of installing aftermarket parts on. Let alone some of the totally wild customizations I've seen on 10/22s. I know a guy who has very close to if not over$1000 into his 10/22. The thing is just over the top. To each their own. I have more into my custom 1911, but I built that gun with serous competition in mind while still having a gun I don't hesitate to use for CCW. He just uses this 10/22 for plinking.

The thing looks like an M248 SAW. It's almost as awkward to carry around, and it's just a 22 at the end of the day. My old Springfield 87A will run circles around it accuracy wise, and is far more ergonomic and way easier and more practical to carry in the field. It's purtier too . I got it for Christmas when I was 12. It was totally mechanically sound with a mint bore, but had been somewhat abused in that the stock was dinged up and someone had scratched their initials in it and the blueing was wore out.

My Dad put the condition on it that I couldn't use it till I had refinished the stock and redone the blueing. So he could teach me how to do these things right. The stock is a gorgeous piece of black walnut and the receiver and barrel assembly is just....cool. Took me almost three weeks to gussy it up spending at least 2-3 hours a day on it. It had to be to my Dads satisfaction. No corner cutting. It sorta reminds me of a Garand at first glance. It has a Garand sling on it that works just perfect. The stock glows and I spent hours putting on coats of fresh blue after a mirror polish of all the metal. I handed it down to my son and he will probably hand it down to his. He's making me a granddad looks like around October. Of course it may be a daughter he hands it off to as well.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:02 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
My .223(technically a 22) is very accurate out to 300 yds, LOL.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:08 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
My .223(technically a 22) is very accurate out to 300 yds, LOL.
We are talking about a rimfire 10/22, not an AR15. You are trying to compare these two...

Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 AM

136 posts, read 129,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I routinely shoot prairie dogs from my kitchen window out into the field at 75-100 yards with match grade lead head ammo. Sitting at the window, 12" sill, long sandbag. I only shoot Winchester target .22's- that is all that old gun ever sees.

But you are correct- if the wind is blowing it do require a little Kentucky windage, lol.

It makes a cool sound when hitting a PD too.. Kinda like a 'wump' sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Go to a small-bore silhouette match and you will see how wrong you are. 100 meter shots are routine.

You need to get out more. Plenty of people have rifles that will do that. That you may not have experienced it with your own rifles and your own shooting doesn't change that.
I suppose I should clarify a stock 10/22 isnt really built for that. I can hit pine cones or golf balls at 100 yds with mine, but without a match barrel and some other mods it would not be capable of that.

And outside of a true benchrest rifle, I have yet to see these 1/4 MOA wonders, in any caliber. I know they exist, I just dont believe they are as common as people say they are. I shoot at a gun club almost weekly, and I've seen some very nice, high dollar rifles, just none with that kind of repeatable accuracy---group after group, no discarding the 'flyers'.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:42 AM

10,733 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
We are talking about a rimfire 10/22, not an AR15. You are trying to compare these two...
I think the "LOL" in his comment meant that he was making a joke.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:19 AM

3 posts, read 2,234 times
Quote:
Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle. Basically - everyone that is a shooter should have at least one. It's just plain fun, ammo is cheap, etc.
For my .22 questions I usually go to this forum:
Athens admiral bowstrings
Anything and everything regarding the 10/22 is discussed there.

My 10/22 has a walnut stock and I purposely wanted to keep it traditional looking. None of these appearance mods for me, AR15 look - I have an AR15, no need. M1 look - on my list of purchases for 2017 otherwise I have some other milsurp rifles. I also saw a Tommy Gun mod that looked really cool. But nahhh, appearance wise I will keep it mod free.
I did do the bolt release mod, which involves filing away the internal bolt release. Now I simply pull back the bolt slightly to release the bolt instead of always fumbling with the switch on the bottom of the gun. MUCH better. I also got a scope - Nikkon prostaff at x9 which is probably overkill for a .22 but it works excellent and is specifically designed for a .22.

That being said, modders should know the limitations of a .22. I don't really get all these accuracy mods, special barrels, trigger modifications, etc. It's a .22 - in stock form it's extremely accurate at 50 yards and has a limit of about 100 yards. No modification can change those limitations of a .22 cartridge. If you want a rifle to modify for long range accuracy get a Ruger American.

I'm not a big fan of the accuracy models. Been sticking to older style models recently

Old 04-25-2017, 06:20 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
I was joking. Relax.
ANd here is the site I go to, very well regarded.
RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

Old 04-25-2017, 12:58 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I was joking. Relax.
ANd here is the site I go to, very well regarded.
RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!
Ha, yeah I was about to pop a blood vessel in my left temple over that comparison.

That's what I tried to reference to in one of my first posts - Rimfire Central, in the link quoted in the post above yours my link got changed to something on bowstrings...how strange.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:41 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Agreed. A 22 rifle is not a piece that I would buy with the intent of installing aftermarket parts on. Let alone some of the totally wild customizations I've seen on 10/22s. I know a guy who has very close to if not over$1000 into his 10/22. The thing is just over the top. To each their own. I have more into my custom 1911, but I built that gun with serous competition in mind while still having a gun I don't hesitate to use for CCW. He just uses this 10/22 for plinking.

The thing looks like an M248 SAW. It's almost as awkward to carry around, and it's just a 22 at the end of the day...
Yeah, that's definitely not my thing but when it comes to firearms, to each their own! I can see why someone would want to customize a 10/22 if that was where their interests were. I'd rather spend my $$$ on other firearms, accessories, storage assets or ammo.

With that said, I STILL don't have my 10/22! I was on the brink of getting it but decided to hold my cash and get a shotgun instead. That cleaned out my personal spending stash and then some, so I've had to refrain from giving myself an allowance until I make up the difference. Thankfully I'm at the break even point so I'll be able to skim some off the top starting next month. I'll probably order my 10/22 in the late summer/early fall.

I've seen a couple quality complaints mentioned along the way in this thread and sadly that seems to be a recurring theme with a lot of big names these days. (I suppose the same can be said of other industries too: I grew up hearing people everywhere complain Ford and Chevy didn't make cars remotely as good as they did back in the day.) I have a couple thoughts on quality. First, unless I'm buying a match grade rifle, I don't necessarily expect a .22 to be a top of the line gun. I think for me there's a basic understanding that it's a fun gun for plinking and a cost effective way for my kids to be able to shoot. Between the initial investment (the model I want is going to cost $300) and the ammo slowly becoming available again at reasonable prices, the 10/22 is an inexpensive way to get a lot of trigger time. Also, I'm not likely going to be shooting past 75 yards. Most of my plinking will be at closer ranges than that, and I'm confident the quality will be sufficient to that point. Finally, even in the face of some quality complaints I've seen enough positive reviews on newer models to feel confident in my purchase.

I'll revisit this subject once I've actually added one to my collection and had a couple range dates. Meanwhile, happy shooting to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting