Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 01:24 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,890,449 times

Advertisements

Walther's P99 trigger breaks like a dull knife through a sack of sand. That's why they aren't popular to a large extent. Their branding looks kind of cartoony also. But back to trigger, that disgrace will open up groups a good foot. Just no way to be on point with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 10:05 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,107,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I am almost 85 yrs old and have been been shooting various brands and types of handguns for approx 65 years. Regarding "pistols" in say the last 10 years,. My question is this:
Why aren't Walther pistols as popular as many of the top 5 or 6 pistol brands that we all can name immediately.
To my way of thinking, they have:. an excellent reputation for accuracy, reliability, price point, state of the art engineering and quality and "comfort-in-the-hand".
I now have, or have had in the past: ..Colt, S&w, hi standard, Sig, Ruger, Remington, Kimber, Beretta and Walther.
If I had to choose to keep just ONE pistol....... I would keep the Walther P99 AS, In my opinion, the AS trigger system is the best DA/SA with the decocker feature available in a striker fired pistol.

Any constructive, intelligent and respectful opinions and comments are welcomed. Thank you.

....Thank You to all the guys that responded to my original post (and question).

Old 02-27-2017, 09:04 AM

18,146 posts, read 15,562,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I don't own one but my brother has 2 Walthers. One is the P22 which is a handful of crap. You can shoot a box of any brand, any type of ammo thru it and yer done regardless if you want to or not. You'll have to clean the thing as it won't run any longer until you do clean it. He also has a Walther 99AS, 9mm. While his seems to be well made, fit and finish are great, you're lucky if you can hit your truck with it at 50 yds with a full 15 round mag. It would be an odd hit for sure. We generally shoot steel plates at 25 yds with pistols. The plates are 16" square and are hung from chains that has the plate tilted towards the ground so rounds end up in the ground. With a full mag, you might be able to hit the plate 3-4 times out of 15 rounds. One of the worst shooting pistols I've ever had in my hand. Like most folks, I always consider Walther to be a premium gun, at least, they were at one time. I wouldn't buy one, not after shooting my brothers 2 Walthers.

Never have had any issue with my lady's P22. Well, once I did, using some el cheapo supremo fodder it didn't like. And I don't like it's disassembly and reassembly. That does suck. But all in all it's done what it needs to do. It's no Hi Standard Citation by any stretch. But with the Stingers it's always loaded with, it runs like a champ and puts the rounds on target. I've heard of issues with them. It seems perhaps quality control may be lax. Some are good, some just suck.

Old 03-01-2017, 10:10 PM

6,344 posts, read 7,711,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Never have had any issue with my lady's P22. Well, once I did, using some el cheapo supremo fodder it didn't like. And I don't like it's disassembly and reassembly. That does suck. But all in all it's done what it needs to do. It's no Hi Standard Citation by any stretch. But with the Stingers it's always loaded with, it runs like a champ and puts the rounds on target. I've heard of issues with them. It seems perhaps quality control may be lax. Some are good, some just suck.
I have a P22 also and have never had ammunition problems with it. A lot of what I shoot is the stockpile of .22 that I inherited from my dad. Must be at least 20-30 years old, but shoots fine.

On assembly and disassembly . . . get one of those "'Captured' Spring Guide Rods". Makes putting the slide back on effortless. Well worth the $20, for the lack of frustration at trying to put the silly thing back together.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Walther-...Rod_p_239.html

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-02-2017, 03:48 PM

17,148 posts, read 56,864,778 times
I think the only Walther I have is an older PP, in .32 ACP. Well made, it's a bit heavy for a .32, but I like it anyway.

A lot of the .22 ammo made recently has not had the QA that the pre-Sandy Hook stuff got. You can thank the hoarders for that, when a plant runs 3 shifts 6 days a week like there was a war going on, it's harder to maintain quality. Shooting a little Bernardelli M90 I picked up recently, .22 LR, some Federal Champion black bullet ammo gave me one complete failure to fire, and one (probably under-loaded) round fired but the empty didn't eject, so the slide "caught" it against the rear side of the barrel. I don't think I should fault the gat for either malfunction.

I would certainly like to get a PP in .22 LR, but when I see one at a gun show, the owner is always asking a scalper's price for it.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:21 AM

6,344 posts, read 7,711,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
...I would certainly like to get a PP in .22 LR, but when I see one at a gun show, the owner is always asking a scalper's price for it.
M3 Mitch, most retailers will sell the P22 for pretty close to $300, plus or minus. That's not bad for what it is.

One of the first stops I make after I move into my retirement home next month in Idaho is to visit a gunsmith. The state laws in my current state of residence has resulted in my CA-compliant P22 having a 'cemented' barrel nut. I want to be able to swap back and forth between the 3.5" and 5" barrels.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-04-2017, 03:20 PM

30,204 posts, read 23,614,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I am almost 85 yrs old and have been been shooting various brands and types of handguns for approx 65 years. Regarding "pistols" in say the last 10 years,. My question is this:
Why aren't Walther pistols as popular as many of the top 5 or 6 pistol brands that we all can name immediately.
To my way of thinking, they have:. an excellent reputation for accuracy, reliability, price point, state of the art engineering and quality and "comfort-in-the-hand".
I now have, or have had in the past: ..Colt, S&w, hi standard, Sig, Ruger, Remington, Kimber, Beretta and Walther.
If I had to choose to keep just ONE pistol....... I would keep the Walther P99 AS, In my opinion, the AS trigger system is the best DA/SA with the decocker feature available in a striker fired pistol.

Any constructive, intelligent and respectful opinions and comments are welcomed. Thank you.

I have a Walther P99. It fits my hand perfect. It's like it was molded specifically for my hand. I have shot many handguns and rifles in my life, and while some handguns came close, the Walther P99 is the ONLY handgun that fit absolutely perfectly. My shot groups were already pretty tight, but it took me longer because so many grips are too big. The Walther P99 is so much easier to handle, for me.

I've never had a problem with the trigger, or any other part of the gun. It's a great handgun. My accuracy is REALLY good with it - and while I do love going to the range, when it truly matters, that accuracy is what I will need in a stressful situation.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:22 PM

30,204 posts, read 23,614,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Price could also be a factor, as most real Walther's and not the Smith & Wesson Walther's can be on the same price page as Sig Sauer or Heckler & Kosh firearms. They are excellent but they are not on the cheep end.

And I am sure part of it is personal preference. I gravitate closer to Sig Sauer, Heckler & Kosh, Kimber; and Smith & Wesson. But that is just me.
That's a very good point. Mine was not even close to cheap.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:10 PM

231 posts, read 249,376 times
For the OP. I've never owned or shot a full size Walther but I owned, shot and carried CCW a PPK/S for quite a few years. It was very concealable and fit in my front slacks pocket quite well without printing too bad. It had a horrible DA trigger but SA was pretty good. The gun was very tight and wasn't easy to reload. Plus, the slide could bite on the way back. I ended up selling it and bought a Glock 42 & 43 because I'm very familiar with that weapon platform and am used to it in stress situations. With the blue light special I got on both Glocks, selling the Walther almost paid for both. I think a lot of others already posted a lot of reasons why they don't carry a Walther. Again, my comments are strictly on the PPK/S Walther and not the full size P99.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:07 PM

24,365 posts, read 22,964,334 times
I fired a Walther maybe 30 years ago and thought it was the best ergonomically designed pistol I'd ever held. I didn't have much firearm experience then and still don't today. But I know guns that I liked and didn't. I hated firing an AK 47 and an AR 15. Mini 14, same thing. I held a cop friends service Glock and hated the feel. That was 25 years ago. A WW2 Walther p 38 held very nice. An M 1 carbine was a hoot and the one gun I regret giving up more than any other.
Bersa makes Walther clones and while they are much cheaper they are highly rated. That's probably why Walther's don't sell like they did.
And there are gimmicky offerings from other companies to the CC market. Ruger, Taurus, SW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting