Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
Here is my old 80s PWA built like an original colt M16. The stocks are old M16 take offs.
That's cool.
That's what I want to do. The retro geeks in the Ar15.com will remark that the flashhider, slip ring, and maybe the barrel (heavyweight?) are wrong if you want to approach A1 clone territory but it's close enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 05:23 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Can you literally just take a bonified M4 (as used by the navy seals) and do the paper work to make it a "pistol" and voila your legal without having a tax stamped, sign away all your legal rights (class 3) weapon?

If that is the case that is genoius and I am now going to get a cut down AR-10 M4 style

Do they make 30-06 M4 "pistols"? Can you have a custom stellite barrel cast and if so do those normally thread onto the main chamber of the gun?
We're obviously talking about different things. I was addressing how to somewhat bypass the SBR paperwork requirements by just building or buying a pistol. The differences between a pistol and the M4 would simply be the select fire components and the stock.

I don't know what you're referring to re 30-06 M4 pistols! There are no M4s in 30-06 caliber. The magazine well wouldn't accommodate a magazine that would hold 30-06. Perhaps the AR-10 would but then that wouldn't be an M-4!

Oh, and if one legally owned an M4 with s 14" barrel, you would legally be able to change to a shorter barrel without any additional paperwork. Study the law!

Last edited by SpencerMtn; 06-16-2017 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-16-2017, 05:53 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Do you have to get a special permit for the M4 variant that basically lets law enforcement into your home at any time and gets you put on a list?

Special permit? No. It's just a semi auto carbine. No special permits needed. Not in NV anyway. The piece is illegal in CA.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Here is my old 80s PWA built like an original colt M16. The stocks are old M16 take offs.

Cool build. DPMS used to make original A1 style "slick side" uppers. No shell deflector or dust cover. They made it in carry handle and flat top. I had a flat top. The main differences twixt the A1 and A2 are the shell deflector, forward assist (a useless addition IMHO) dust cover and the forend. Oh and the muzzle brake on the A1s is the three prong style.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:38 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Cool build. DPMS used to make original A1 style "slick side" uppers. No shell deflector or dust cover. They made it in carry handle and flat top. I had a flat top. The main differences twixt the A1 and A2 are the shell deflector, forward assist (a useless addition IMHO) dust cover and the forend. Oh and the muzzle brake on the A1s is the three prong style.
Up until a year or so ago, the S&W Sport was made without the shell deflector & dust cover. I bought one of those "slick sides" about 3 years ago for $570. The newer Sport II has both of those features and is selling for $100 less online. Saw one place offering them for $399, but sold out before I could order one.

The S&W and Remington rebates continue - as noted earlier last month I bought a Remington R1 5" 1911 .45 for $499 (before $100 cash rebate). Liked it so much I just bought the Commander 4.25" version for $563 (before $100 cash rebate). Both guns are very well made and are a great value at those prices. Might order a 5" in stainless next. The Commander:

My "old" slick side S&W Sport (upgraded the uninsulated hand guard to a $20 Magpul):

Old 06-18-2017, 11:03 AM

This is my slickside with my 1911 when it still had its micarta grips and Ed Brown barrel. I put a collapsible stock on a 20" upper just to be different. The AR started life as a standard A2 Bushmaster. The 1911 is one of the first run of the Noricos that were being brought in in the early 90s. I paid right at about 250 for it out the door and tossed everything but the frame and slide. As it is currently, and even when this pic was taken, I'd stack it up against any high $ Kimber, Colt or SA. Currently it has a 1965 make Colt Camp Perry NM barrel and bushing. I lucked into that brand spanking new and unmodified in the original military foil paper wrapping. I had a noted gunsmith do the final fitting of that addition as I was taking no chances with it. Not something a guy finds everyday.
Attached Thumbnails
As terrorists attack, the west ammo up-2013-01-09_19-07-43_204.jpg  

Last edited by NVplumber; 06-18-2017 at 11:20 AM..

Old 06-20-2017, 12:18 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
We're obviously talking about different things. I was addressing how to somewhat bypass the SBR paperwork requirements by just building or buying a pistol. The differences between a pistol and the M4 would simply be the select fire components and the stock.

I don't know what you're referring to re 30-06 M4 pistols! There are no M4s in 30-06 caliber. The magazine well wouldn't accommodate a magazine that would hold 30-06. Perhaps the AR-10 would but then that wouldn't be an M-4!

Oh, and if one legally owned an M4 with s 14" barrel, you would legally be able to change to a shorter barrel without any additional paperwork. Study the law!
Im not as interested in the full auto/burst option as I am in the cut down barrel. I talked to a lot of gun enthusists over the years and I have always been told that you have to do the whole tax stamp paper work dog and pony show to get that cut down barrel. But it sounds like all you have to do now is get it qualified as a "pistol"?

I should not have brought up the AR-10 thing as that was a distraction, I simply dislike the .223 caliber but that has nothing to do with the barrel length.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:24 AM

448 posts, read 365,561 times
Quote:
Im not as interested in the full auto/burst option as I am in the cut down barrel. I talked to a lot of gun enthusists over the years and I have always been told that you have to do the whole tax stamp paper work dog and pony show to get that cut down barrel. But it sounds like all you have to do now is get it qualified as a "pistol"?

I should not have brought up the AR-10 thing as that was a distraction, I simply dislike the .223 caliber but that has nothing to do with the barrel length.
Not sure if you can change a rifle into a pistol with any paperwork. But you can buy a AR pistol lower and snap on a short barrel. I just did the stamp. PITA but when done I have a nice 10 inch rifle. The laws on the SBR are more restrictive in moving it than a suppressor.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:56 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Can you literally just take a bonified M4 (as used by the navy seals) and do the paper work to make it a "pistol" and voila your legal without having a tax stamped, sign away all your legal rights (class 3) weapon?

If that is the case that is genoius and I am now going to get a cut down AR-10 M4 style

Do they make 30-06 M4 "pistols"? Can you have a custom stellite barrel cast and if so do those normally thread onto the main chamber of the gun?
06 case length is even too long for a 10. They do make a mag AR with a long battery. I don't see the reasoning of a pistol that would simply be blowing burning powder out of the short barrel.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:58 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,109,847 times
Quote:
Not sure if you can change a rifle into a pistol with any paperwork. But you can buy a AR pistol lower and snap on a short barrel. I just did the stamp. PITA but when done I have a nice 10 inch rifle. The laws on the SBR are more restrictive in moving it than a suppressor.
Yea once you do the tax stamp your on a list, that's not a good place to be. That is what I want to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting