Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:08 AM

20,266 posts, read 36,997,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
I don't have as many guitars as guns, but those things can be deadly if not grounded!
Quite funny

Old 07-15-2017, 12:01 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,892,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Statics that relate only to law-abiding Americans. How about the "not law-abiding"?
Amen. Brother. The anti-gun States turn a blind eyes on gang members and criminals who carry high capacity assault weapons yet instead they turn around oppress the law abiding citizens who pay their salaries. It is a total hypocrisy.

Take the city of Chicago, it's a total embarrassment on its democratic mayor and the entire city council. They bow to racial groups like "Black Lives Matter" yet 99% of its citizens being kills are blacks with a majority are blacks-on-blacks crimes. They don't talk about how guns in the right hand can prevent horrible things from happening to good & innocent people, the right hands such as a police officer, a fragile woman facing would be rapist or an abusive husband, or an average man who can stop his loved ones from being hurt.

The State I am currently in is a pro-carry State. Out in the country it could take as long as 20 minutes for the Sheriffs to get here. But even in the city, I see people open-carry all the time and nobody blinks an eye. Guess what? This is a pretty safe city. It ain't no Chicago for sure.

How many guns do I own? It's none of your business.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:22 PM

20,266 posts, read 36,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Amen. Brother. The anti-gun States turn a blind eyes on gang members and criminals who carry high capacity assault weapons yet instead they turn around oppress the law abiding citizens who pay their salaries. It is a total hypocrisy.

Take the city of Chicago, it's a total embarrassment on its democratic mayor and the entire city council. They bow to racial groups like "Black Lives Matter" yet 99% of its citizens being kills are blacks with a majority are blacks-on-blacks crimes. They don't talk about how guns in the right hand can prevent horrible things from happening to good & innocent people, the right hands such as a police officer, a fragile woman facing would be rapist or an abusive husband, or an average man who can stop his loved ones from being hurt.

The State I am currently in is a pro-carry State. Out in the country it could take as long as 20 minutes for the Sheriffs to get here. But even in the city, I see people open-carry all the time and nobody blinks an eye. Guess what? This is a pretty safe city. It ain't no Chicago for sure.

How many guns do I own? It's none of your business.
It's about the same in Alaska, since we can carry concealed or not (it's not illegal either way), although a lot of people still go through the training for concealed carry.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:34 PM

18,139 posts, read 15,553,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
a handgun gives off an entirely different message though doesnt it...
Like a couple others I am genuinely curious about this. What message does a handgun give off? Oh I believe you see some message but I'm talking reality not propoganda induced fantasy. Personally, I don't see any firearm being capable of giving off any message, or anything else that doesn't require human input to impart. It's just a mechanical device.

Shooting is a discipline. A martial art. And all aspects of that art are applied to many different sports and real world sithations. Just like all the other martial arts. Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Judo etc. Is there a message contained in someone who studies these disciplines? Oh, I know full well what message it is you read into someone owning a handgun. But I'd like you to state it in your words. I would probably add a bit of sarcasm into it.

The United States has a Constitutionally guaranteed right for the people to keep and bear arms in it. We ha e a choice to excise that right or not as we see fit and for whatever "need" we deem appropriate. This right has been instrumental in the shaping g of our nation and culture. It allows us to take our personal security and that of our loved ones personally. We are not reliant on the state. Independent self reliance is an integral part of our culture. Ownership and use of arms is a part of that.

Personally, I feel no obligation to justify why I choose to own firearms, or what type or number. That I can and do choose to do so is enough. My guns don't send any message, nor do I use them to do so. I have them, I use them for a variety of purposes and in a variety of situations. I enjoy shooting and have taught my son about firearms from an early age. He can now surpass me in a few different disciplines.

I'm hardly alone in this. Like it or not that's just the way it is. You claim that we in the shooting community don't listen. To who? You? Why should we? You don't listen to us either.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:53 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,892,891 times
I think there an increasing majority of population who did not grow up with guns. Their idea of guns come from movies or the news reports which cast a negative light on gun-ownership. Their initial reaction toward gun is "why do you need one?". This type of question immediately put a gun owner on the defensive. Now I need to explain and justify my "needs". It gets worse when gun owners attempt to deflect the issue by using non-offensive justifications such as for hunting or just the shooting "sport", upon then it gives the opposition party the platform to define what you "need" for your "sport", such as no reasonable "sportsman" need more than 10 round magazine, pistol grip, and a flash suppressor. Wait what? No Sir, you have absolutely NO NEED for a silencer!!!

The title of this thread is doing exactly just that, putting the gun owners on the defensive because the natural follow up question is "why would anyone "need" so many guns?" No matter what that politically correct number is.

In this growing "gun-ignorant " society, most ignorant public associate guns with "bad" as in your intend to do bad things with guns such as robbery or threatening to kill others. They often fail to associate gun-owners with the good guys, like police officers, because somehow having a uniform separate them from average citizen gun-owners. (Yes there is a difference, LEO enforce laws, average citizens are not required to do so) But they don't associate with the idea that perhaps with more "good guys" owning guns maybe we don't need as many police officers. A big part of it is "they", those who argue against gun-ownership, cast doubt that we can trust the average law-abiding citizens with guns. Who are "they"? Liberal politicians and big city police chiefs. Why? Just follow the money.

So be on the alert, my fellow gun owners. We are on an ideological battle against those who wants to take away our 2A rights. You see, unlike owning a drivers license, gun-ownership is a right protected under the Second Amendment and we do not need to show a "need" to own guns. We do not need to demonstrate our proficiency by taking a test and have a little card to say someone "approved" me to own guns and I pay a fee every 4 years to have that approval to own guns.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:54 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,950,878 times
Quote:
I think there an increasing majority of population who did not grow up with guns. Their idea of guns come from movies or the news reports which cast a negative light on gun-ownership.
A lot of this is true but at the same time there is an increasing surge in gun ownership. I think a lot of gun curios people jumped during the Obama years and the fastest growing segment of gun consumers is women. A good number of them are buying CC guns. I think this is awesome. I think the gun owning community is larger and more diverse than ever, making the stereotype of the white male gun nut in his 40s even more further from accurate than it already was.

Quote:
Their initial reaction toward gun is "why do you need one?". This type of question immediately put a gun owner on the defensive. Now I need to explain and justify my "needs". It gets worse when gun owners attempt to deflect the issue by using non-offensive justifications such as for hunting or just the shooting "sport", upon then it gives the opposition party the platform to define what you "need" for your "sport", such as no reasonable "sportsman" need more than 10 round magazine, pistol grip, and a flash suppressor. Wait what? No Sir, you have absolutely NO NEED for a silencer!!!

The title of this thread is doing exactly just that, putting the gun owners on the defensive because the natural follow up question is "why would anyone "need" so many guns?" No matter what that politically correct number is.
Generally I'll only engage in gun debate with someone I feel is being intellectually honest and open about the discussion. As indicated already on this thread, I've yet to actually encounter that and when I detect they're not interested in honest dialogue I break contact.

With that said, I never did justify my "needs." Rights aren't about needs. If that were the case then the First Amendment wouldn't apply to social media and all the platforms we use to consume it because none of that was around with the amendment was written. Besides, nobody "needs" to send tweets or FB posts. When asked about how many guns I own, my initial response (unless I've already indicated I'm a gun owner) is to reply "what makes you think I'm a gun owner? You don't need to be a gun owner to be pro-Constitution and pro-2A. All you need is a reasonable and fair mind." That response has actually put quite a few people on the defensive and the best part is it's a legitimate, intellectually honest observation.

Finally, if I've already indicated I'm a gun owner and can't go that route, if the situation dictates this applies:

https://www.amazon.com/Nobody-Needs-.../dp/B00XU8VAD0

Quote:
In this growing "gun-ignorant " society, most ignorant public associate guns with "bad" as in your intend to do bad things with guns such as robbery or threatening to kill others. They often fail to associate gun-owners with the good guys, like police officers, because somehow having a uniform separate them from average citizen gun-owners. (Yes there is a difference, LEO enforce laws, average citizens are not required to do so) But they don't associate with the idea that perhaps with more "good guys" owning guns maybe we don't need as many police officers. A big part of it is "they", those who argue against gun-ownership, cast doubt that we can trust the average law-abiding citizens with guns. Who are "they"? Liberal politicians and big city police chiefs. Why? Just follow the money.
Lawmakers often pursue the most visible solution and rarely the right solution. Or the solution that best suits their agenda.

Quote:
So be on the alert, my fellow gun owners. We are on an ideological battle against those who wants to take away our 2A rights. You see, unlike owning a drivers license, gun-ownership is a right protected under the Second Amendment and we do not need to show a "need" to own guns. We do not need to demonstrate our proficiency by taking a test and have a little card to say someone "approved" me to own guns and I pay a fee every 4 years to have that approval to own guns.
At the same time always be ready and willing to help a new gun owner learn the ins and outs of gun ownership, responsible handling and employment of his/her weapon, and what types of firearms are best suited for what applications. A gun range snob is one of our own worst enemies. We should always be willing to assist new beginners because the more responsible and competent gun owners there are the better off we will be.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 AM

12,898 posts, read 13,230,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I live in NYC. I own a LOT more than most of my fellow residents here. To be honest, I probably have more guns than my whole neighborhood combined.
So you think... lol

Guess in some places this pic of my 12 year old grandson plinking with his great grandpa's old H&R .22 would be grounds for imprisonment... (shooters take note - the eye protection glasses would not fit with those ear muffs)

Most definitely seeing him shoot my evil black rifle with its standard 30 round magazine...

Old 07-16-2017, 09:01 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,472,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
A gun range snob is one of our own worst enemies. We should always be willing to assist new beginners because the more responsible and competent gun owners there are the better off we will be.
Yes indeed. They take the fun out of shooting.

I've seen it quite often. So has spiller... I'll probably see it shortly when I go to the range later... I don't let it get to me. When someone waltzes in with a $1000+ rifle/pistol and bashes what you have... it's their way of justifying spending that money to feel secure about their purchase...
Rarely does nickle boron this top of the line that make for a better shot.
Or its a brand elitist. You know the type. If it's not a ______ it's junk.

And then there's the type that feel if it's not a bolt or lever action it's pointless...

Common enemy is those who seek to ban anything pertaining to arms out of incessant fear...

Sooner we get NFA repealled and Hughes Amendment nixed the better.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:02 AM

OMG!!! My 6 year old grandson shooting a .22 single shot rifle! Put the little budding mass murderer in a reeducation camp and his daddy in prison!

Old 07-16-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Yes indeed. They take the fun out of shooting.

I've seen it quite often. So has spiller... I'll probably see it shortly when I go to the range later... I don't let it get to me. When someone waltzes in with a $1000+ rifle/pistol and bashes what you have... it's their way of justifying spending that money to feel secure about their purchase...
Rarely does nickle boron this top of the line that make for a better shot.
Or its a brand elitist. You know the type. If it's not a ______ it's junk.

And then there's the type that feel if it's not a bolt or lever action it's pointless...

Common enemy is those who seek to ban anything pertaining to arms out of incessant fear...

Sooner we get NFA repealled and Hughes Amendment nixed the better.
Here here!

The mall ninja gun snobs are very tiring, and the NFA is nothing but infringement.

Hated to see that left coast liberal Reagan sign the oppressive Hughes bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting