Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:54 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Yeah, I don't know if it would even be legal in TX to ban guns in vehicles. I think we have some law that allows gun owners to have them in vehicles but allows businesses to ban them inside their business, excepting schools and such. Maybe government parking lots also.
This is the case detail - pretty interesting...

Court: Man wrongfully terminated for having gun in vehicle at work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 10:40 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The scenario you described is ridiculous. It's the argument I hear made all the time by fat guys in 5.11 pants and Oakley sunglasses who couldn't get their fat asses over a fence if their life depended on it.

If you're this worried about defending against a home invasion, the solution isn't more capacity. The solution is a shotgun. They're much better at convincing intruders that they've made a mistake.

I can see plenty of reason for wanting more than 6 shots in a gunfight. Its my main reason for wanting a semi , more ammo for a guy that's never been in a gunfight and will be running on high adrenaline if one comes around.I'd much rather have 8 rounds I didn't need left as opposed to being 1 round short and still facing a bad guy. While I would prefer to have my 12 gauge in my hands as the initial response to a home invasion , again, after 5 shots you are empty unless you have a mag extension, which gets back to the point of having a semi auto handgun. And what about getting sidewise with a few gangbangers or bikers on the highway, or a group of meth heads while out camping, hiking or biking?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:57 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
The scenario you described is ridiculous. It's the argument I hear made all the time by fat guys in 5.11 pants and Oakley sunglasses who couldn't get their fat asses over a fence if their life depended on it.

If you're this worried about defending against a home invasion, the solution isn't more capacity. The solution is a shotgun. They're much better at convincing intruders that they've made a mistake.
Yeah, sure as if everything in life could be so predictable.

You sound just as ignorant as Joe Biden: "Buy a shotgun".

Quote:
“Kate, if you want to protect yourself, get a double barreled shotgun,” Biden responded. “I promise you, as I told my wife, we live in an area that’s wooded and somewhat secluded. I said, Jill, if there’s ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out, put [up] that double barreled shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house.”

The vice president said that by firing two shotgun blasts, anyone who might be trying to break in would be scared off.

“You don’t need an AR-15,” he said. “Buy a shotgun! Buy a shotgun!”
That coming from a man who was surrounded with bodyguards armed with automatic and semi automatic firearms and their high capacity magazines. I know, I know he was the vice president and his life was more important than that of the average citizen.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 09-20-2017 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 PM

3,868 posts, read 4,079,169 times
Racking a shotgun can also give away your position, which can cause the intruder to train his fire where he heard that sound. I'm starting my AR build next month, looking forward to it.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post
Racking a shotgun can also give away your position, which can cause the intruder to train his fire where he heard that sound. I'm starting my AR build next month, looking forward to it.

Well , if a shell is already loaded in the chamber then the first sound a bad guy will hear will be the blast. Simultaneous with feeling the shot if your aim is true.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:49 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Quote:
I can see plenty of reason for wanting more than 6 shots in a gunfight
Dude, you've been watching WAY too much TV. The average confrontation usually last 3 seconds. Once the perp hears a gunshot, his legs get put in high gear and he's gone faster than a jack rabbit. Your expectations are grossly out of line even if confronted by a gang. After your first shot, they scatter like quail and don't bother to look back. Frankly, a single shot pistol is just as good as a semi with a 19 round mag. This is real life here, not TV. The bad guys are not as stupid as you apparently think. They aren't going to stand and fight. Once the SHTF, they're done and gone.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Dude, you've been watching WAY too much TV. The average confrontation usually last 3 seconds. Once the perp hears a gunshot, his legs get put in high gear and he's gone faster than a jack rabbit. Your expectations are grossly out of line even if confronted by a gang. After your first shot, they scatter like quail and don't bother to look back. Frankly, a single shot pistol is just as good as a semi with a 19 round mag. This is real life here, not TV. The bad guys are not as stupid as you apparently think. They aren't going to stand and fight. Once the SHTF, they're done and gone.

How many of such events have you personally been involved in to speak with authority?

BTW, I watch 1 TV show a week. And its a cooking show.Or Survivor. Depends on the season, as they replace each other . I don't need a TV show to tell me that I would rather have 15 bullets than 6 bullets in a life or death situation. If I didn't use most of them, then fine. Just as I would rather go on vacation to some remote place where cards weren't accepted with double the cash I thought I might need and bring back the rest, as opposed to taking just what I expected to use and then find myself short if special circumstances arose.

In reality, I don't expect to ever need ANY gun to ward off bad guys. But if I am going to get one for insurance purposes, why not get one with double the ammo to work with? Whats your issue with that that you feel the need to lecture on the subject?

Old 09-20-2017, 05:37 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Quote:
How many of such events have you personally been involved in to speak with authority?
I traveled the Texas border with Mexico for years. It's war zone. You're safer in downtown Baghdad than on the Texas border. There are people down there that will kill you for your truck so they don't have to walk. Folks in the country on ranches down there let the kids play in the yards as long as there is someone watching over them with a gun. It's not uncommon for the drug mules to kidnap one, hold them for ransom of money and a vehicle only to return a dead body of a kid. For most of the Zetas, your death is a trophy for them. The more they kill, the higher standing they have in the gang. Why don't you hear about it? Because the life expectancy of a reporter publishing a story on it is about that of a police chief in Mexico....a matter of hours. Anybody with the brains of a moron is not going to post, How many. I can only assume you've lead a very sheltered life and have never heard of the Texas 3 S's.

Owning a gun for personal protection isn't fun and games. I hope you're never in a position to have to shoot someone. You never get over it even when your life depends on it. There's a lot of bravado in this thread and others just like it. Too many clown boys that THINK they have the solution only they've never been in the position to know. That's why the double action revolver is the best platform for personal protection especially if you think you'll have to use it. No brains required to run it, just pull the trigger. Few, and I'm including law enforcement, have the ability to focus when the guns go off. Your primal instincts go off and focus is gone. Lack of focus gets people killed.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:42 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,352,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Dude, I think you've been watching WAY too much TV, or living in a fantasy land of your own. Probably both.

I had a cousin that was in prison. Before that he was in the service and went AWOL. He drifted around the country. No one knew where the hell he was until he got arrested. He was in and out of trouble for most of his life. He was mad at the world, didn't care about, and wasn't afraid of a God damn thing. He stabbed someone multiple times during a fight and did 10 years for manslaughter. He had no remorse. He told me that he just went a little nuts and lost it. As far as he was concerned his life was over and he died shortly after he got out. Although it was drugs that killed him. From him I gained some insight into the mind of a criminal. Criminals have an uncanny sense of who will become a victim or not. They can sense fear and whether or not someone will be willing to defend themselves.

Criminals are not afraid of guns, getting shot, beaten or stabbed. It goes with their territory. Many are involved in gangs that are at war with each other. Very few get out of that unscathed. Those are the risks they take when they get involved in criminal activity especially when dealing drugs and in possession of large sums of money and narcotics. Criminals committing crimes against criminals and anyone else that gets in their way. They're certainly not afraid of the police who are well armed as many of them do not go peacefully when confronted by them. They have nothing to lose and are not afraid of death. For some they'd rather be dead than go to prison. Prison life is no picnic, many come out of it more violent than before they went in.

If a single shot pistol were adequate and criminals are as cowardly as you say. Then why do the police carry semi automatic handguns with high capacity magazines? You'd think that just the sight of a gun would make their knees wobble and they'd run like scared little jack rabbits?

While engaged in criminal activity many are all doped up and out of their minds on drugs especially pain killers. They're not able to think rationally. Depending on what drugs they are on they may not even realize that they've been shot and will continue to engage their potential victim after they've been shot. Even after they've been shot multiple times.

If an assailant comes after me, I'm certainly not going to have the time to analyze whether they are all doped up or not. I'm gonna' keep on firing until that individual is down. It's not like you're out on a target range where you take carefully aimed shots. It's center mass all the way until the gun is empty.

It ain't like the freakin' movies where the good guy drills one through the bad guy's forehead and they fall dead on the spot. Far from it.

I'd suggest that you educate yourself in the real world. Before you post and make a fool out of yourself. It's quite obvious that you have absolutely no idea of what real life is all about.

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 09-20-2017 at 06:15 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 06:01 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
as if the intruders being talked about here are the bad guys like in John Wick movies. most intruders just want to break in and steal. if they are shot upon, are they going to shoot it back or ran away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting