U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 12:59 PM

13,398 posts, read 42,750,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
M3 Mitch--if you'll reread my comments, my complaint with the microgroove rifling is when shooting black powder, I never said it wasn't accurate with smokeless shooting.
OK fair enough. There are a *lot* of people who have had negative experiences with cast or other bare lead bullets in Microgroove rifles, I mistook you for one of them. I would not expect for example factory lead bullet loads in .357 or .44 Mag to shoot real well in a Marlin carbine with a Microgroove barrel - by dumb luck you might find some big enough diameter or they might slug up and do OK. But factory swaged lead bullets tend to be pretty soft, and probably not enough lube on them for hotter loads.

Me, personally, black powder makes such a mess that I have never tried it in a cartridge firearm. I know a lot of guys do though.

Good point that Microgroove won't do well with black powder though, I didn't know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 03:22 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,728,139 times
We shoot Cowboy Action Shooting and regularly use Goex bp in our cartridge guns.

If you use a bottleneck cartridge, bp is actually a joy to clean up versus smokeless. Of course the caveat is that you need to do the cleaning within a couple of days of shooting. I have an 1886 Winchester made in 1891 in 40-82 (I have had the bore relined) that has never seen that "modern" stuff. Shoots very well with bp. Pistols and pistol-caliber rifles are in 44-40 or 38-40. These bottleneck cartridges leave very little residue in the actions.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 PM

576 posts, read 449,687 times
Maybe my rifle is blessed.My H@R has shot everything I have bought and shot, Really well. I would get into reloading cast bullets. I use trap door power level loads and feel confident shooting about anything. Trail boss is one thing i would like to try.it has good write-ups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting