U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 03:11 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times

Advertisements

Does anyone reload this round?

Iím about to start and I would like to use these two bullets as they seem economical:

https://www.xtremebullets.com/45-70-...nfpc-b0250.htm

https://www.xtremebullets.com/458-30...8rf300b250.htm

Just looking for opinions and tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 03:55 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
The 45-70 comes into its own with cast bullets. Jacketed bullets in this size (.457) tend to be rather pricy.

I shoot the 45-70 in an original Springfield rifle (trap door) and a (real) (not Miroku) 1886 Winchester. I don't much want to shoot jacketed bullets in either. What rifle are you shooting?

If you are buying cast bullets, make sure the diameter they are sized to matches the throat of the chamber in *your* rifle. I would buy a small batch, or ask for samples.

CBA website has a lot of good discussions on how to match diameter. https://castbulletassoc.org/forum

Old 10-17-2017, 03:58 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,837,023 times
I load for 6 of them. Depends on what you're looking for in a load. The factory load was a 405gr lead bullet at 1200'ps. There's a variety of ways to hit the factory load but I use Unique powder to do it. They're pretty much just plinkers. I'd skip the lead bullets and the copper plated. Performance wise they are the same. I'd look at the newer coated bullets. The lead bullets will leave a greasy mess to clean up, the coated won't. No advantage to load the plated at all. If you are using the Hornady dies, the bullet seat die has a sliding sleeve that will not load most plated bullets as they are a few thousands larger than a jacketed bullet. The bullets will not fit in the sleeve. If you decide to load for hunting bullets, buy a 300gr jacketed HP and use 48.0grs IMR3031. That's the Lyman accuracy load and you'll get much better accuracy a lot easier and faster than with other powders. Burns pretty clean too. All kinds of loading data out there for the 45-70. The Lyman Manual is yer friend with the 45-70. The above data you can shoot in any 45-70. If you have a newer rifle rated for more pressure than the original, you can obviously load a lot hotter. Again, the Lyman Manual is yer friend for that too.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...ategoryId/938?

Old 10-17-2017, 04:13 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,474,824 times
I am looking to eventually hunt with this rifle, so that’s a consideration. It’s the Marlin 1895 by the way.

I probably won’t make it into a range toy. Just occasional practice, sighting in, and hunting.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:52 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,725,773 times
To add to what TrapperL says, if you decide to load the lead bullets, remember to keep the velocities down. If you go much over 1500fps, you'll be putting a lot of lead in the bore and you will lose a lot of accuracy. Also, the newer 1895s have microgroove rifling which doesn't work well with black powder, in case you decide to try it.

I would say that the factory Buffalo Bore hard cast lead ammo is very good for hunting.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
To add to what TrapperL says, if you decide to load the lead bullets, remember to keep the velocities down. If you go much over 1500fps, you'll be putting a lot of lead in the bore and you will lose a lot of accuracy. Also, the newer 1895s have microgroove rifling which doesn't work well with black powder, in case you decide to try it.

I would say that the factory Buffalo Bore hard cast lead ammo is very good for hunting.
This is not necessarily true. If you buy some soft, undersized commercial cast bullets, you may have trouble at higher velocity. But the 45-70, with a properly sized cast bullet that actually fits the ball seat, can do all it is going to do with a cast bullet.

The idea that Microgroove rifling won't handle cast bullets is actually a myth. Microgroove barrels typically take a larger diameter bullet to give good accuracy. If you just size to .457, and load into a Microgroove equipped rifle, you may indeed find they lead and give poor accuracy. Cast bullets that lead the bore are almost always undersized.

If Microgroove wouldn't handle a bare lead bullet, then Marlin .22 rimfire rifles would be inaccurate - which they ain't.

Again a lot more information than I have time to get into here, is available on the Cast Bullet Association website.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:53 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,837,023 times
I'm gonna semi-disagree with ya Mitch. I bought an H&R Buffalo Classic off of guy that said it quit shooting. Most any idiot could see that the barrel was leaded up but apparently he didn't have a clue how to remove it. So I bought it cheap. His data that he related to me would have a 350gr lead bullet at 1600'ps. He was shooting Meister bullets as I recall. Regardless, the barrel was leaded to beat the band and that is not a micro-groove barrel. I've loaded for the micro-groove barrel and frankly, it doesn't take well to lead or plated bullets of any diameter. At least the rifles I've loaded for but I understand having the right size is important. I also load for several 38-55's that are original Winchesters and bullet diameter is critical if you want anything called accurate. I also use a gas check bullet. Lead bullets are like anything else, they have their place. But in my rifles, that's a max velocity of 1300'ps or slower. Anything above that gets a gas check bullet or jacketed. Plated or coated follows the same rules as lead.

The 22 LR is not a good example as most of the 22LR that has an exposed lead bullet has a max velocity of just under 1300'ps. The max performance bullets, those loaded faster, are either copper plated or have a coating on them. You'll also find that the 22 LR comes in various diameter sizes just like the chamberings. I assume you're aware that the 22 LR comes in 3 distinct chamberings. Match grade rifles will normally have a Bentz chambering which is much tighter than a normal 22LR like the Marlin which is chambered 22 LR Auto. Most commonly, the high performance ammo like Stingers, won't even chamber in a match grade 22 LR rifle. You can force it but don't expect any accuracy. The higher velocity performance ammo has a much larger diameter bullet to seal in the gases.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,034,103 times
gas check will fix your higher velocities. It is also a good idea to slug your bore if you aren't exact on how tight/loose it is.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:11 PM

I have shot my own cast bullets in my 1886 45-70, I don't remember the load exactly, but the 293 grain Lyman bullet, backed by a moderate charge of I think IMR 3031. I'm going to guess it's about a 1500 FPS load. This load does not lead, because the bullet fits the throat, and the alloy is compatible with the pressures generated. The load is beyond the starting load for 1886, so beyond what's safe in a trapdoor, but not near max even for the '86. My 86 is a special lightweight takedown rifle, and I don't think I am calling myself out as a sissy to say I just worked the load up till the recoil was verging on obnoxious, and called it a day.

Not a 45-70, but, actually shooting cast in a 220 Swift, even light loads of Unique go about 1800-1900 FPS, and will ding up a steel gong more than you might expect.

Go on over to the CBA website and you can see loads being used, including Microgroove guns, that give good power, accuracy, and don't lead.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:12 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,725,773 times
M3 Mitch--if you'll reread my comments, my complaint with the microgroove rifling is when shooting black powder, I never said it wasn't accurate with smokeless shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting