U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,031 times

Advertisements

Ok so I am almost 16 and will be getting a truck soon. I have an old double barrel shotgun that I would like to keep in my truck so that my nephew and nieces don't see it(they are all the ages of 1-3) but that's not gonna be the problem. I drive a lot to my family's home up in northern Oklahoma especially to hunt in the fall and winter. I'll have to drive for a couple hours so I need to know if I can legally keep a unloaded shotgun on a rack in my truck while I drive. And if I need to have a license to keep it in the truck since I'm only gonna be 16. P.S. I live in southern Oklahoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 08:15 PM

16,573 posts, read 28,689,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelNicholeC View Post
Ok so I am almost 16 and will be getting a truck soon. I have an old double barrel shotgun that I would like to keep in my truck so that my nephew and nieces don't see it(they are all the ages of 1-3) but that's not gonna be the problem. I drive a lot to my family's home up in northern Oklahoma especially to hunt in the fall and winter. I'll have to drive for a couple hours so I need to know if I can legally keep a unloaded shotgun on a rack in my truck while I drive. And if I need to have a license to keep it in the truck since I'm only gonna be 16. P.S. I live in southern Oklahoma.
Check your State laws about guns and minors. Search for the local NRA class instructor, and he or she will point you in the right direction. More than likely you would have to be 18 years old, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-19-2017, 04:29 AM

6,920 posts, read 2,821,388 times
Even if you can legally do this, remember that you will also be creating an attraction for thieves. Are you ready for the possibility that some criminal will break into your truck just to grab your gun? Use it for who knows what? Also check your insurance liability....there may be premium consequences for carrying firearms on drives when they are not being used. Whatever you do, NEVER NEVER NEVER forget to check that it is unloaded every time you drive with it. There have been more than a few fatalities from loaded guns carried in truck racks. Gun gets dragged out of the rack while someone stands in the vehicle doorway, trigger snags on the rack, someone gets shot point blank.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:01 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,426,615 times
Quote:
I would say no you cannot keep it in a rack, based on the below.
Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess in Oklahoma | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
Last updated November 16, 2017.
Oklahoma prohibits a child (person under age 18) from possessing any firearm except for participation in hunting animals, hunter safety classes, education and training in the safe use and handling of firearms, target shooting, or skeet, trap or other sporting events or competitions (provided the child is not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms).1

Old 12-19-2017, 08:30 AM

5,900 posts, read 1,679,640 times
In Illinois, you need to have a FOID card...yes, the state actually makes you register as a gun owner. And for a 16 year old to get a FOID card is dang near impossible.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:42 AM

8,231 posts, read 2,185,405 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
I would say no you cannot keep it in a rack, based on the below.
Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess in Oklahoma | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
Last updated November 16, 2017.
Oklahoma prohibits a child (person under age 18) from possessing any firearm except for participation in hunting animals, hunter safety classes, education and training in the safe use and handling of firearms, target shooting, or skeet, trap or other sporting events or competitions (provided the child is not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearms).1
Seems like as long as there is a Hunting License to prove possession for hunting purposes, this wouldn't be an issue.

Far as keeping the weapon in a rack... No.

Do what I do with my truck guns.

I have Cable locks. I found a great spot to hide them #1, and #2 there are grommets in the floor that I removed to run a cable lock through around the frame rail back through the floor, through the lower receiver and upper receiver. with the bolt locked back.
In a pump action or semi auto shot gun just lock the bolt back. Double barrel... maybe through the trigger guard and open the breech and go around the receiver under the barrels... Unless all it takes is a screw driver to remove the trigger guard.

A thief will have to be hard at it for a while to get a weapon out of either of my trucks...
First they have to find it. Then they have to mess with 1/2 inch steel cable...

Old 12-19-2017, 09:38 AM

5,171 posts, read 3,601,668 times
Ah, for the good old days. In the late 50’s when I went to high school, every kid that was lucky enough to have a pickup to drive to school had a rack with a rifle or shotgun visible.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:58 AM

33,843 posts, read 41,958,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Ah, for the good old days. In the late 50ís when I went to high school, every kid that was lucky enough to have a pickup to drive to school had a rack with a rifle or shotgun visible.
Yeah. I've had the over the seat racks in my trucks for years and don't use them. In Maryland I could be cited, and my shotgun(s) confiscated if I get stopped and the guns aren't cased. Even then they'll get me for not having the shells in a separate locked box.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:38 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,863,760 times
As a 16-year old, you cannot legally possess (as in keep in your truck without an adult also in the truck) a shotgun at all. If you are out hunting, I guess it would be okay, but remember, a drive to your relatives home does not constitute a hunting trip. Also, I'm assuming you are in school, it is illegal for anyone to have a gun on school property anywhere in the US as far as I know (some colleges excepted where concealed carry is legal).

Old 12-19-2017, 12:23 PM

766 posts, read 1,841,285 times
Possession on school property laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, so a blanket statement cannot be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting