U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2018, 04:50 AM

284 posts, read 159,591 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, have the current productions of Kimber pistols declined in quality? What would be a better 1911 pistol? Sig Sauer?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 06:57 AM

805 posts, read 553,072 times
I've never owned nor even fired a Kimber , but I've never heard anything good about them either . The only person I knew that had one spent a lot of money on it to make it run better .

Old 01-02-2018, 08:23 AM

7,823 posts, read 7,813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
In your opinion, have the current productions of Kimber pistols declined in quality? What would be a better 1911 pistol? Sig Sauer?

I've heard that Kimber has had problematic QC issues for years, but don't know what their current state is.

Colt had its QC problems during the 80s & 90s. The production quality since the turn of the century has been excellent for the most part. There have been some changes in finishes on the 1911 models, but the best is still available through the Custom Shop.
Their standard production SAA revolvers are top notch in fit & finish. Unfortunately the ONE gunsmith who is assembling & finishing the venerable 1873 Model P will be retiring soon, and no replacement is being trained.

Colt will soldier on with the 1911, however.

Springfield Armory would be another good middle of the road choice.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:25 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,725,059 times
I have a micro 9 that I purchased this past year. No problems so far, I've had about 200 rounds through it. I'm not using it for competition, but it is for self defense so it needs to run good.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:31 AM

7,823 posts, read 7,813,981 times
Those micro 9mm guns look intriguing.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:06 AM

5,586 posts, read 11,831,318 times
Got several Kimbers. Kimber is kinda iffy in quality but worse than that, the moron they have in charge of customer service has no clue how to treat a dog let alone a human. The POS needs to be fired. I have a Kimber Grand Raptor, that's one of their best, that you couldn't hit your truck with it at 50 yds. I sent it back expecting it to come back and shoot reasonably- it didn't. I took it to my local gunny and said "A complete idiot can see what's wrong with it". He took it in the back, came back 10 minutes later and said-"It'll shoot now". It now shoots 3/4" groups at 25yds from bags. So there's Kimbers "quality". I also just traded for a Kimber 9mm but haven't had the time to shoot it so I have no clue about it. The biggest gripe I hear about Kimber besides their "customer service dept" is the MIM cast parts that supposedly don't hold up. I've never had issues with the parts breaking but in a Kimber, you need to keep a handful of springs around. They are real sensitive to the springs in the slide or it doesn't run right. FWIW, Smith & Wesson makes their barrels now.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 AM

798 posts, read 234,862 times
The two that seemed to hold up the best at a local range where I worked were a Springfield Armory Range Officer 1911 and a Sig Spartan 1911. The kimber seemed about average to me.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:42 PM

1,408 posts, read 699,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post

I can not speak to their current quality control; I have owned through the years several Kimber's; I have never been dis-satisfied with their product.

I have owned the Smith & Wesson E-series in 1911; and I have owned a Sig 1911, all were good. For me now in quality and price, I will buy the Metro Arms American Classic II; it shoots as well as a Less Bear, or Springfield Armory TRP, or any Kimber; and it comes in new for around $750 - 850. In many cases that is half of those other prices.

I have always though Kimber was a little over process for new, but I think that for most firearms, I almost always buy used. And in some cases I have gotten Kimber's at reasonable prices. But as I have said, they have always worked for me.

Here is one of the other links hear in City-Data about the Metro Arms:

Metro Arms American Classic II

Old 01-04-2018, 05:31 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,814,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Got several Kimbers. Kimber is kinda iffy in quality but worse than that, the moron they have in charge of customer service has no clue how to treat a dog let alone a human. The POS needs to be fired. I have a Kimber Grand Raptor, that's one of their best, that you couldn't hit your truck with it at 50 yds. I sent it back expecting it to come back and shoot reasonably- it didn't. I took it to my local gunny and said "A complete idiot can see what's wrong with it". He took it in the back, came back 10 minutes later and said-"It'll shoot now". It now shoots 3/4" groups at 25yds from bags. So there's Kimbers "quality". I also just traded for a Kimber 9mm but haven't had the time to shoot it so I have no clue about it. The biggest gripe I hear about Kimber besides their "customer service dept" is the MIM cast parts that supposedly don't hold up. I've never had issues with the parts breaking but in a Kimber, you need to keep a handful of springs around. They are real sensitive to the springs in the slide or it doesn't run right. FWIW, Smith & Wesson makes their barrels now.
Interesting.

They had a rep in the 2000s for making dodgy guns, unf. The whole MIM thing didn't help, either.

I had an original, well-used, from c. 1996. Owned and carried by LEO, it shot great for what it was: a used 1911 to cut my teeth. I enjoyed it then sold it to a buddy for $400.

I bought a Y2K micro Kimber, the two tone. Many of those were problematic. Weirdly, mine was not, and I don't recall too many if-any times it failed to run. Never took it to a class, though, which brings out the worst and best in guns after a couple hundred hot rounds. Traded away in 2011, which I sometimes regret.

Watched one actually break in a class (Intensive Handgun) in the early 2000s. Broke so bad it was done, right on the frame. Damndedest thing. I don't remember what the student did. I was running a Springfield Professional at the time, which never broke and had occasional FTFs, all minor.

Read the (other forums about 1911s) for more that, and draw your own conclusions. I'd not own another, but that's mostly because I went semi-custom.

Problem with 1911s some smart ass pointed out: you usually need to spend beaucoup bucks from a base gun to make it highest-quality and reliabile. That is true, I do believe: the detractors seem to be mostly right, though there are exceptions. If you want a tight Les Baer, it will FTF on ammo it doesn't like but shoot great groups. Something loose will usually work, and shoot OK groups.

Bought an off the shelf 9mm HK six months ago, to test a theory. It hasn't slowed down now in 500 rounds without cleaning. I'll probably clean it this weekend. 9mm just go bang, in various guns.

My semi-custom Volkmann Commander 1911 has never, not once, FTF'd or given other problems, but given the cost (built to my specs from the base model), is it "worth it". YMMV!

At long last, I'm starting to reach the conclusion that for *carry*, grab a modern compact or sub 9mm with the most-modern ammo you can find, which apparently is more-lethal than ever. That can be done for less than a grand, in fact less than $500, maybe lots less! I personally am fond of HK, but there are tons of options.

For real fun, if you can afford it, trick out a 1911. Your wallet will scream. Mine was "worth it" but only to me; could have bought three HKs for that money.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:06 AM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Kimber is and always has been the standard. Les Bear and other specialty gunsmiths compare in fit and finish, but Kimber is the factory quality standard. You get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting