U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 12:34 PM

7,650 posts, read 5,409,513 times

Advertisements

5 Best Guns for Home Defense (Glock, Ruger and Beretta Make the Cut) | The National Interest Blog

I do need to get a shotgun

Old 01-27-2018, 02:44 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,909,247 times
I'm still stuck on my 1911 for an auto and my mod 66 SW sees a lot of carry use as well. I have a Mossberg 930 for a shotgun. 18.5 inch barrel. I like the autoloader platform because it just comes to point well for me but in bang for the buck I think the Win mod 12 Defender is one of the best going.

Old 01-27-2018, 04:41 PM

1,408 posts, read 700,650 times
I prefer a Sig Saur to Glock, for me it just fits my hand better, but all of the guns were good.

And for a shotgun, after owning a Benelli M1 it is very hard to go to any other shotgun; but then again that is just for me.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:58 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,850,350 times
Here we go again with yet another Rambut that thinks he has a clue about self defense yet has never been there. Come on, an AR platform....inside of a house. If you brought one to my house for self defense you'd be sleeping outside. How stupid can a person get and still breathe. An AR platform in any chambering is going to go thru walls, lots of walls. I wonder what the body count would be after Rambut cleans a 30 round mag? And why not just have your location sent up in neon lights with that "tactical" flashlight. Might as well just turn on all of the lights with you wearing a blaze orange vest. Then there's the shotgun. If you think racking the slide is going to intimidate Johnny Badboy, you're an idiot. All you did was tell him where you are. I can only hope you survive the hail of bullets coming your way. Then consider how clumsy any long weapon will be in any form of self defense. The only gun he suggested with any relevance at all is the Glock. At least it goes off. You probably won't hit anything which might be a good thing. And then the PC Carbine with a red dot sight. Hey Rambut, if you ever were in a self defense position, the absolute last thing you'll see are sights of any kind. And then I saw that Rambut is from San Fransisco. Then I realized what a joke this article really is. No wonder Kailfornia is so screwed up.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:57 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,909,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Here we go again with yet another Rambut that thinks he has a clue about self defense yet has never been there. Come on, an AR platform....inside of a house. If you brought one to my house for self defense you'd be sleeping outside. How stupid can a person get and still breathe. An AR platform in any chambering is going to go thru walls, lots of walls. I wonder what the body count would be after Rambut cleans a 30 round mag? And why not just have your location sent up in neon lights with that "tactical" flashlight. Might as well just turn on all of the lights with you wearing a blaze orange vest. Then there's the shotgun. If you think racking the slide is going to intimidate Johnny Badboy, you're an idiot. All you did was tell him where you are. I can only hope you survive the hail of bullets coming your way. Then consider how clumsy any long weapon will be in any form of self defense. The only gun he suggested with any relevance at all is the Glock. At least it goes off. You probably won't hit anything which might be a good thing. And then the PC Carbine with a red dot sight. Hey Rambut, if you ever were in a self defense position, the absolute last thing you'll see are sights of any kind. And then I saw that Rambut is from San Fransisco. Then I realized what a joke this article really is. No wonder Kailfornia is so screwed up.

While I think it's obvious to serious shooters that the article was written by someone who isn't exactly an expert in the field I didn't see any reason to disparage him with terms like "Rambut." The firearms he mentioned including the AR see duty as home defense weapons on a fairly large scale.

Personally I'm not a fan of the idea of any centerfire rifle of carbine inside of a dwelling, but there is ammunition available for it that is constructed for just that. Hornady TAP comes to mind. Just about any centerfire rifle or handgun will go through multiple layers of wall board as will a shotgun loaded with heavy shot or slugs. But in terms of an effective defensive firearm that can be operated effectively under stress I'd have to give the advantage to a shotgun.

As to a tactical flashlight, guilty as charged. I keep one with my handgun on the nightstand. Its some ridiculous brightness level (like 1800 lumens) and if you shine it it someones eyes for ust a second or two they will be blinded, and most likel they will attempt to shield their eyes and or turn away from the light. Thus giving me the advantage as they won't be focused on me. Yes, there is concern about giving your position away I suppose, but I think I'll keep my light handy regardless.

So yea, the guy who wrote the article isn't Massad Ayoob, but there is basis for rational discussion there. His picks aren't mine, but everyones situation is different. Rural vs city dwelling, apartment or house with grounds, mobil home or stick house, individual floorplans all go into looking at any defensive preparation.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:53 PM

4,756 posts, read 8,385,905 times
I agree this is a biased & opinionated article by the writer. It would’ve been better if he said this this his opinion only but he did not. It’s also clear this article was written for those who have little knowledge of guns & self defense.

For example, I would’ve like it better if he had written a semiautomatic 9mm mid-size gun such as the Glock 19... or the S&W M&P 2.0, or the FN-FNS9, or the Sig Sauer P-229/ SP2022, or the CZ-75/P-07 .. and the same for The semiautomatic shotgun & the GP100 revolver. The writer also failed to emphasize the importance of ammo selection for home defense. The selection of hollow point (HP) ammunition is good not only for a “better” stopping power (now don’t argue with me if there is suc things), but also in avoiding over-penetration through the perp or the dry wall into next room.

A writer like this one does a disservice to novice/ beginner gun buyer who’s looking to buy his/ hers first home defense weapon. Having said that, I can’t argue his opinionated choices will work as well as others he has not mentioned, but I believe giving readers a balanced choices will serve a greater good.

Old 01-28-2018, 03:01 PM

4,114 posts, read 3,406,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
How about a short barrel ar chambered for 9mm in subsonic?

Old 01-28-2018, 04:41 PM

806 posts, read 554,132 times
How about a .30 cal Carbine with a 20 rd mag ? Don't laugh . Hornady makes a 110 gr Critical Defense round for it . More practical than an AR .

Old 01-28-2018, 11:40 PM

5,221 posts, read 2,380,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I agree this is a biased & opinionated article by the writer. It would’ve been better if he said this this his opinion only but he did not. It’s also clear this article was written for those who have little knowledge of guns & self defense.

For example, I would’ve like it better if he had written a semiautomatic 9mm mid-size gun such as the Glock 19... or the S&W M&P 2.0, or the FN-FNS9, or the Sig Sauer P-229/ SP2022, or the CZ-75/P-07 .. and the same for The semiautomatic shotgun & the GP100 revolver. The writer also failed to emphasize the importance of ammo selection for home defense. The selection of hollow point (HP) ammunition is good not only for a “better” stopping power (now don’t argue with me if there is suc things), but also in avoiding over-penetration through the perp or the dry wall into next room.

A writer like this one does a disservice to novice/ beginner gun buyer who’s looking to buy his/ hers first home defense weapon. Having said that, I can’t argue his opinionated choices will work as well as others he has not mentioned, but I believe giving readers a balanced choices will serve a greater good.
Go back and read it again. His descriptions for the Glock 19, GP100, and the shotgun could be applied to ANY semi auto, DA revolver, and semi auto shotgun. He didn’t address the specifics of the particular weapons at all.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:23 AM

11,572 posts, read 17,506,588 times
I think we can all agree that the OP's link is click-bait garbage, particularly in it's list in brands (likely it prompted by advertiser dollars). Forget this "glock vs. ruger vs. beretta" nonsense.

The real debate is what type of is best for home defense:
-Shotgun (autoloader in this case)
-Semi-automatic handgun
-AR-15 variant
-Revolver
-PDW (pistol caliber carbines)

Everyone has there own preference and needs but for me it's a double stack 9mm (or larger) semi-automatic handgun. The size just gives it more versatility and easier to manage in a house.
I have various weapons in the house - shotgun too heavy and hard to maneuver in my opinion, AR again too long and overkill in terms of caliber. They have various uses besides home defense. However I realize for many they only have one weapon and must compromise - if you carry you might only own a single stack in a smaller caliber, if you are a hunter it just might be a shotgun or another long rifle. Or you live on a ranch or a big property - for that an AR makes a perfect ranch weapon for both varmits and bad guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or