U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 04:48 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,576,329 times

Advertisements

I've been through more EDCs than I can count. Right now I carry the Emerson snubby model:
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/EMC...ck-g10-handles

It has a 2.7 inch blade, so it's legal virtually everywhere. Despite the short blade length I believe it is very effective. The number one reason I carry it is the 'wave' feature which makes getting it out very quick--quicker than an auto (switchblade) w/out the legal issues.

There are several things about it that I don't like. It's very heavy for its size (5.3 ounces). It's not all that smooth opening--it really needs a pivot bearing system. I don't like the weird Emerson semi-chisel grind. I'd prefer S30V blade steel over 154CM. But so far for me, the negatives are outweighed. Mainly the wave feature, and the handle design (provides a pretty positive finger guard), and the concept of having a full size handle and stubby blade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:10 PM

3,583 posts, read 1,510,560 times
I carry a $30 or so folding lockblade knife, expecting to lose about one every two years to TSA when I forget it's in a pair of pants in my carry-on or something like that. The one I am carrying now has maybe about a 2" or 1 3/4" blade.

I don't expect to rely on a knife for self-defense, but if I did I would probably just carry a larger version of the same thing.

No Leatherman or equivalent multi-tools for me. As a daily user of tools, I can tell just how soft the metal and cheap the manufacturing quality is on those things compared to, say, Snap On tools or other actual tools. In my life I have never found a multi-purpose tool that works anywhere as well as a single-purpose tool.

But I suppose I am old fashioned as I have only been carrying a pocket knife every day of my life since I was 6 years old (50 years ago now!)

Old 02-23-2018, 10:42 PM

4,755 posts, read 8,380,470 times
For EDC I carry a Spyderco Dragonfly. It’s light weight only 1.2oz. I even use the clip as money belt. It’s probably won’t do any good for self defense but it’s handy & light so I carry it everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0050...L65&th=1&psc=1

Old 02-23-2018, 11:38 PM

10,943 posts, read 14,584,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I carry a $30 or so folding lockblade knife, expecting to lose about one every two years to TSA when I forget it's in a pair of pants in my carry-on or something like that. The one I am carrying now has maybe about a 2" or 1 3/4" blade.

I don't expect to rely on a knife for self-defense, but if I did I would probably just carry a larger version of the same thing.

No Leatherman or equivalent multi-tools for me. As a daily user of tools, I can tell just how soft the metal and cheap the manufacturing quality is on those things compared to, say, Snap On tools or other actual tools. In my life I have never found a multi-purpose tool that works anywhere as well as a single-purpose tool.

But I suppose I am old fashioned as I have only been carrying a pocket knife every day of my life since I was 6 years old (50 years ago now!)
I'm not sure what you expect to do with your multi-tool that would destroy it, but mine does what I need to. I tie **** and lures with the pliers, pull a pesky accessory fuse and replace it on my atv, pull porcupines quills from bird dogs, cut rope at camp, cut food, use the scissors for fishing line and assorted other tasks, the Phillips head has come in handy on numerous occasions- I use it all the time, and without fail- pretty much every day.

It's not like I'm trying to mash open old c-ration cans or trying to remove bolts from my old tractors with it, lol.

Kinda confused as to what constitutes 'edc' for people here?

Old 02-24-2018, 10:59 PM

10,943 posts, read 14,584,566 times
I'm serious.

What 'is' an EDC? What do people mean by that term?

For me just today, I went ice fishing at 6:30 a.m., I caught maybe a dozen fish- I kept 3 rainbows. I used my leatherman to remove hooks from all the trout (none on the perch), used the Phillips to tighten down my transducer to the base, cut some parachute cord to tie down my shack.. That was just today...

What's a 'EDC' to you all? What do you want from your carry tool?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:02 AM

4,755 posts, read 8,380,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm serious.

What 'is' an EDC? What do people mean by that term?

What's a 'EDC' to you all? What do you want from your carry tool?
EDC stands for “Every Day Carry”. What you’re asking is “What do use your knife for that you carry every day?”.

Obviously everyone has different needs therefore carry different knives to suit their purposes. For me, I prefer small, lightweight, knives. My needs are use it to cut open boxes, ropes, papers, etc. I am a fisherman myself but I carry “specialized” tools for my fishing needs, like a plier for cutting fishing lines, removing hooks, etc.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:05 PM

1,108 posts, read 857,097 times
Before you buy a knife, you need to know something about blade steel. It's easy to pay a bunch for a knife with mediocre steel like 420HC, 440A and AUS-8. 440C should be the lowest grade to consider but I prefer at least a D2 steel. Knives like Buck, Colt, Boker and Case are over priced.

There is one Colt knife that has D2 steel blade. It was $15, believe it or not. I got one.

I carry an HK Turmoil OTF knife with D2 steel, stupid sharp blade. It's made by Benchmade and discontinued. A good knife are going to be at least $100. Mine was $120 because it was a sell off stock.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:26 PM

32,524 posts, read 17,636,768 times
For years I've been carrying a Kabar Dozier folder 3" blade with thumbhole. Easy opening one handed with either hand.

Compact, light, holds an edge and inexpensive.

I use the darn thing constantly.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-KA40...+folding+knife

Old 02-28-2018, 06:38 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,701,155 times
I like D2 as well, but it's worth mentioning that it's a "semi-stainless" steel, so for practical purposes you need to treat it like a regular carbon steel, and it can be on the brittle side, so don't beat on it, or pry with it. Not that you should beat on or pry with any knife anyway. You may find that D2 is not the easiest to sharpen, but it does hold an edge quite well. Just don't get it really good and dull before you re-sharpen, or it may take you a while to restore the edge. Diamond grit sharpening rods or steels are what I personally like for sharpening D2.

My experience is that a good quality full size pocketknife is going to set you back most of $100 as well. You can get into semi-custom knives and spend several hundred.

Right now in my pocket is a small stockman, Schatt and Morgan (Queen) with 420 steel blades, on my belt a Victorinox Swiss Champ, I am not certain what kind of steel, probably 420 or something similar, and in my jacket pocket is a larger stockman made by Canal Street Cutlery (sadly, now out of business) for Ka-Bar, with D2 steel blades. I bought the Victorinox so long ago I think I paid less than $50 for it, but the two stockman knives each set me back between $85 and $110 IIRC.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:48 PM

1,108 posts, read 857,097 times
True the D2 steel are not destined for carry in the woods. You need softer steel for that as you can sharpen it on a stone as well as pry and dig. Mine are for street carry.

I have a Worksharp with 3 different grits on belts. Still it takes a while but so stupid sharp. Whew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting