U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:25 PM

865 posts, read 399,796 times

Advertisements

VeeGer, I have to agree with point about good enough. The knife industry has to renew people's incentive to purchase knives when they don't really need to add to their collection. So they market the latest metallurgic creations to knife nuts like me and we buy into it.

I have since sold off my small collection of ZDP-189, S110V, S30V, VG-10, 440C and 8Cr13MoV blades. 8Cr13MoV is the only steel that could not hold an edge to save its life. Maybe it has to do with quality control but I don't trust any steel with 8Cr13MoV etched on it.

After that, you're pretty much paying for cool factor. I would pay for another ZDP-189 knife. High end steel knives from certain makers have a strong secondary market, so if you don't think it's worth the extra cost you can always sell it for a small loss or break even in a couple years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 09:13 AM

1,112 posts, read 858,540 times
There is one thing you need to know. The type of steel makes a difference but the real important thing for steel is the heat temperament. If it's not done right then not any steel are worth a damn.

By the way, 8Cr13MoV is 1055 steel. They are mostly made for swords like my Cold Steel Heavy Duty sword cane. It keeps an edge pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhKM...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-02-2018, 12:22 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,843,095 times
Making a folder type pocket knife is a little harder especially if it's a lockback. The fitting of the lock means you'll be taking it apart and putting it back together a few times. I hone mine to absolute, like glass, perfection. There's no rattle, nothing loose and it's slick. I like to use copper sheaves between the blade and frame too so the blade comes out smooth and doesn't bind. Every knife I make I have the steel cryogenically treated to compact the molecules in the steel without making the steel brittle. Cryo is the only to fly if you intend to actually use the knife. It will stay sharper a lot longer. Here's the latest one:

If you've ever considered making knives, remember, even if you screw it up, you still have a knife. The first few I made from old files were pretty crud but I still have them in my shop and they work just like a thousand dollar knife. Lots of tutorials on the internet how to manage the steel so you don't make it too soft or brittle.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:22 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,739,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Very interesting steel on your knife, ATS-34. Sounds wicked.
Not at all schooled on metal grades, but have had no problems keeping an edge on it, VeeGer.

Old 03-02-2018, 05:35 PM

4,293 posts, read 6,398,941 times
I'm practical.. Leatherman Wave (the original) for 17 years now. And I mean the Same one, though I did send it in for a replacement pliers once. Not the "best" steel, but it sharpens well enough for my needs (and better than 99% of the knives others have on them).

I'm another Fenix (PD22) fan aswell, that's been my only light for about 6 years.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:15 PM

10,948 posts, read 14,593,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'm practical.. Leatherman Wave (the original) for 17 years now. And I mean the Same one, though I did send it in for a replacement pliers once. Not the "best" steel, but it sharpens well enough for my needs (and better than 99% of the knives others have on them).

I'm another Fenix (PD22) fan aswell, that's been my only light for about 6 years.
Yeah I had an older wave too. Maybe 10years. I lost it when I was ice fishing in my hut. Was sitting in my chair- the kind with a little side table that folds out, and one of my poles got a huge tanker trout on it, and as I jumped out of the chair to grab the pole I bumped the chair and my knife flew off and slid down the 2nd ice hole in my shack, lol.

Kinda watched it slow-mo too. 60ft down to the bottom.

And I lost the fish too, lol.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 PM

18,794 posts, read 13,583,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
VeeGer, I have to agree with point about good enough. The knife industry has to renew people's incentive to purchase knives when they don't really need to add to their collection. So they market the latest metallurgic creations to knife nuts like me and we buy into it.

I have since sold off my small collection of ZDP-189, S110V, S30V, VG-10, 440C and 8Cr13MoV blades. 8Cr13MoV is the only steel that could not hold an edge to save its life. Maybe it has to do with quality control but I don't trust any steel with 8Cr13MoV etched on it.

After that, you're pretty much paying for cool factor. I would pay for another ZDP-189 knife. High end steel knives from certain makers have a strong secondary market, so if you don't think it's worth the extra cost you can always sell it for a small loss or break even in a couple years.
another vote for zdp-189. Pre-internet, one of my hobbies was to clip articles out of newspapers and file them for future reference. Paper is made with clay binders, and is actually rough on a blade edge. Often I would cut two or 3 sides of an article, and then the blade would just start tearing the paper instead of cutting it. ZDP did not do that. I had a small William Henry w/ ZDP blade just for clipping articles.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:46 AM

1,112 posts, read 858,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I bumped the chair and my knife flew off and slid down the 2nd ice hole in my shack, lol.

Kinda watched it slow-mo too. 60ft down to the bottom.

And I lost the fish too, lol.
Need I guess which hurt more?

Old 03-16-2018, 05:43 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,660,316 times
These 4 generally find its way as my EDC.....

https://bucknbearknives.com/army-linerlock-folder.html

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/select-fire

https://kershaw.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/leek

https://www.leatherman.com/juice-s2-...-tools#start=1

Old 03-18-2018, 09:43 AM

13,374 posts, read 7,301,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
8Cr13MoV is the only steel that could not hold an edge to save its life. Maybe it has to do with quality control but I don't trust any steel with 8Cr13MoV etched on it.
A lot of Chinese knives use that steel because it is CHEAP. On a whim I bought a Chinese made Kershaw
Injection 3.5. I figured for $13.99 on sale, I couldn't pass it up. It is a high quality knife surprisingly. I haven't cut anything with it yet though. I will be interesting to see how the 8Cr13MoV holds an edge. In general Kershaw doesn't sell crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting