U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 PM

10,445 posts, read 5,979,636 times

Advertisements

This is not a political debate question. As you know, there has been a school shooting in which an AR-15 was used. My understanding is that an AR 15 is no different than any other high-powered rifle that fires .223 Caliber bullets and above. And the only difference is that an AR 15 looks “cooler.” Is this accurate?

Old 02-15-2018, 11:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 699,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
This is not a political debate question. As you know, there has been a school shooting in which an AR-15 was used. My understanding is that an AR 15 is no different than any other high-powered rifle that fires .223 Caliber bullets and above. And the only difference is that an AR 15 looks “cooler.” Is this accurate?

Reasonable close, the AR-15 can be chambered in the .223 round; along with several other variations.

The .223 round is overall not a high powered round, at least not compared to a 30.06, a .308, a 300 Winchester magnum or larger caliber. It is for all essence a 22 caliber on steroids.

Part of the reason the AR-15 has become so popular as a sporting rifle, and I am not going into why it seems to be the weapon of choice for a nut case. But the AR-15 is a modular design, it allows you to configure the weapons to suit your needs, that it could include a forward grip to hold it, or optics of various designs, a laser or all of the above on the AR-15 at the same time.

It also has a relatively light recoil, so it is easier for a person to remain on target after each shot. The AR-15 can range in price from $650 - $3000 depending on what is done to it. The AR-15 can be accurate to several hundred yards making it a overall good sporting rifle.

I hope this has answered your questions.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:10 AM

11,564 posts, read 17,501,153 times
The .223 round itself is really inconsequential. It just so happens to have been adapted to the M16 (AR15) military rifle development in the late 50s, and then carried over to the civilian market. It's a relatively light rifle round as the previous poster mentioned - why the military did this was for logistical reasons - smaller rounds allow them to be more easily carried and resupplied to the field. Also the experience of WW2 showed that soldiers no longer needed these heavy rounds that reached out to 1,000 yards as combat was rarely engaged at those ranges. The M1 rifle in contrast used a large manstopper.30 caliber type round.

Nowadays, the AR15 variant/design is available in a variety of calibers - small to large (AR10) including adapted to shotgun designs. .223/5.56 remains the most popular because that was the original design.

The allure really is it's adaptability - the modular design which enables it to be a "Barbie doll" of sorts where you can add different uppers, lowers, scopes, hand rails, barrels, grips, stocks, etc. This enables it to be used for a variety of purposes - hunting, sport shooting, target shooting, self defense, collecting, etc. Looking "cooler" or looking "evil" is just subjective nonsense.

Treading carefully on the political/social issue as it's not really allowed to be discussed here:
That it got adapted by these nutcases as the mass-murder weapon of choice is not because it is more or less lethal than any other semi-automatic long rifle, actually compared to hand guns they are almost never used in crimes or murders. In my opinion these nuts see these previous media reports and simply repeat it along with grabbing the useless military tactical vests (which the media always seems to incorrectly label "bullet proof vests"), bayonet, and combat boots. It's become part of the nutcase uniform of choice to emulate the previous nut, and the one before that.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-16-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM

10,945 posts, read 14,593,711 times
The .223 (or 5.56) is a moderately effective game rifle. It is an effective varmint- small game round. There is a distinction between the two, generally speaking.

As stated- it has relatively mild recoil. In an AR platform the ability to stay on target is excellent. It was chosen for military use in large part because of the recoil/lethality combination.

The AR has developed into a robust rifle experiencing minimal failures. A quality AR offers trouble free, semi-automatic firing. It's a common platform for coyote and varmint hunting in Montana, but little else. It's generally not used for large game.

The 'coolness' factor is obviously subjective. I served in the Army entering back in the late 80's and frankly I hated my M-16. Having grown up on mid to large bore calibers it seemed like a 'pea-shooter' to me. I hated the feel of the rifle as well. Personally I have no love affair with the platform. However others love it, and the endless accessories and 'doo-dads' available for the platform are dizzying. It has earned the dubious nickname as the 'Barbie Doll' of the shooting world. You can accessorize them in a million ways.

It is a shame that this platform has become synonymous with mass killings, but frankly it is an effective platform for persons bent on that purpose.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:26 AM

8,990 posts, read 7,079,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
The AR-15 is (usually) black and scary looking.
I once had a .22 Long Rifle gun, made in the Philipines, that looked exactly like the AR-15. Mossberg makes a variant of their .22 semi-automatic rifle with a plastic stock and trim that makes it look exactly like the AR-15.
I was in the Army when the M-16 came out. I hated it then, I don't like the AR-15 now. I just can't understand the fascination for them. I would much rather spend the money on an M-1 carbine. In fact, in Viet Nam, I carried an M-1 carbine for various reasons.
I agree with others here, the 5.56/.223 round is definitely not "high powered". The .45-70 I used to have packed a heck of a wallop. So did my old .30-06 semi-automatic hunting rifle. The 5.56/.223, not so much.
But then, I am prejudiced. I don't like the weapon, and I don't much care for the cartridge.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:27 AM

5,163 posts, read 2,845,274 times
The Ruger Mini is essentially the same type of weapon. It's a semi-automatic rifle that accepts removable magazines and fires the .223 round.

This rifle would not be included under an assault weapons ban because it doesn't have a folding/telescopic stock, pistol grip, or bayonet lug. Yet it pretty much has the same firepower as an AR-15.

The problem with assault weapons bans is that they aren't fact based, but instead based on the way something looks.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:29 AM

10,945 posts, read 14,593,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The Ruger Mini is essentially the same type of weapon. It's a semi-automatic rifle that accepts removable magazines and fires the .223 round.

This rifle would not be included under an assault weapons ban because it doesn't have a folding/telescopic stock, pistol grip, or bayonet lug. Yet it pretty much has the same firepower as an AR-15.

The problem with assault weapons bans is that they aren't fact based, but instead based on the way something looks.
Yes- and it was known as the ranch rifle for credible reasons.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:33 AM

4,117 posts, read 3,863,127 times
"Hobbies and Recreation"

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting