Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 01:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Villages Guy View Post
What is the best online place to buy 9mm ammo, both bulk target ammo and smaller quantity hollow point 147 grain defensive ammo?

This is for a Glock 19 Gen 5.

Thx much in advance.
For hollow point, I go with the Hydra-Shok and since I don't buy them that often, I shop locally for them.

For bulk target, often it is cheaperthandirt (although my range cringed when I said that), sometimes Midway, sometimes another company that turns up cheaper. Right now, cheaperthandirt's often free shipping has had my attention.

I do read the reviews and while it has guided me at times, it also has recently confuse me such as with bad reviews on S&B which from experience I know is darn good stuff.....at least past.

There is, however, that question of why one is shooting a particular company such as is it the name, is it "the reputation" (such as it's Israeli), or is it the cost? That is a question that may vary between firearm and location used.

For example, my AR-10 had the bolt lock forward at the range on, I believe, Malaysian surplus ammo, and it took 3 range people with a tool that hooked into the bolt assembly to pull it open. Since I don't want my range to declare that I can't use the -10 there or must use their high price .308 ammo, I now only use first run, high reputation .308 (and .223) ammo at the range.

Using that once bitten example and coming back down to 9mm, if I'm shooting a pistol, I probably won't be as concerned about the ammo, the reasons why I am using that particular brand, as I might be if I'm shooing at the range an Uzi carbine.

One final thing about on line ammo buying. A short while, a few years, back, someone was selling German .308 ammo at a fantastically cheap price. The one particular item to this ammo was that they had brushed the stamp markings off the base. Researching this issue, I found Net remarks that the brushing could cause extraction failures due to the weakening of the case......and hence, I passed by the offering.

Moral of the story is that if it sounds too good to be true, there may reasonable reasons why it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Yes, you should ... But make sure you a fair amount of your planned personal protection ammo through your firearm. Many firearms like certain kind of ammo more than they like others, (both jam-free cycling & but also accuracy). Find what works well in your firearm and get comfortable shooting it. I would also suggest using the same weight projectile for your practice ammo.
It is good advice especially if one only has one gun. I also agree with cycling the protection ammo through to make sure that if that time comes, it will work. Then again, however, there is that question against heavy winter clothing.......

My personal philosophy, however, is to be able to use a wide range of guns and caliber so I am not at a loss for whatever is handed to me.

One can't cover everything, of course, but with me, the more I have experienced, the more I can derive from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
........ I'd be looking at getting to know your local gunshop owner. Once you develop a relationship with them, you can get them to bring in bulk orders with their stock items and they can cut you a great deal. My local guy beats any deal I can find on the net and I don't have any shipping charges or haz mat fees to pay. I've been doing business with him for over 30 years now. When I buy guns, it comes from him. Sometimes he can be the same as the best deal I can find on the net, sometimes he's higher. But he always gets the business. If there's a problem, he takes care of it. That's worth something to me right there.
I remember those days with mine.......but then the old man died and his son took over the business.

I cannot stress the importance of having a good relationship with one's merchants. With my ammo dealer, it probably came about from the time when after purchase but still walking around the gun show, I found they had only charged me half. I went back to them (dad & mom), pointed out the error, and paid the remaining amount. After that, before he got sick, he gave me bargains and advice (don't buy Indian) for years.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 02-23-2018 at 02:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 09:41 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Tamara,

Federal HST is an improved version of hydro-shock. It has a higher muzzle exit velocity and a greater expansion at terminal velocity. For example, in the latest Lucky Gunner ammo test, the 124 gr hydro-shock has a group average velocity of 1,053 ft/sec and expanded diameter of 0.43”, where as the HST has 1,135 ft/s and expanded diameter of 0.61”. This represents a 21% and a 72% expansion from original diameter, quite a bit of difference.

In the 147 gr 9mm, the difference is even greater, 7% vs 72%. Hydro-shock just didn’t expand well in 147 gr.

Both ammo were fired out of the same gun, S&W M&P 9c with 3.5” barrel.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:56 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Although the selection may be a bit limited, for everyday stuff my local WallyWorld seems competitive with many online deals.

Federal 9mm Brass Case FMJ 115 grain: $18.97/100 rounds

Old 02-25-2018, 04:16 PM

197 posts, read 184,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Although the selection may be a bit limited, for everyday stuff my local WallyWorld seems competitive with many online deals.

Federal 9mm Brass Case FMJ 115 grain: $18.97/100 rounds
Yep, same here. Winchester brass 115g fmj same price as yours.....200 rnds less than $30.00. My local Wally's is only about 10 minutes from my house so no shipping to worry about.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:17 PM

28 posts, read 22,955 times
Check out https://www.laxammo.com/. I know they don't ship in CA anymore, but they still ship to other states that allow it. They even offer special online prices for people purchasing from other states and the prices are a lot cheaper than their in-store prices which sucks for us LA locals smh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting