U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 08:21 AM

4,117 posts, read 3,863,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Didn't care much for my P3AT - replaced it with an LCP.
The past half year, a P3AT with a Crimson Trace has been my main carry. I really don't like it either. Hurts my hand after about a half hour at the range. Probably because it is just so tiny. Way too small for my hand. But its small size is the primary advantage too. In its Uncle Mike's sleeve, it's almost exactly the same size and weight as my wallet and goes everywhere with me. Besides, it's only for dire emergencies, so a little discomfort woudn't be an issue. Accurate too with the Crimson Trace. Indoor that is. The laser is worthless outside.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 10:09 AM

4,756 posts, read 8,381,946 times
HA! I shot the LCP and it hurts my hand! The S&W bodyguard was much more comfortable in comparison.

So it depends on your priority, either carry a lot and pray that you will never need to use it, or carry and be prepared to use it if you need to.

Old 05-31-2018, 04:39 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,745,861 times
Question: is there any difference in the stopping power of a .38 Calibur between a pistol and a revolver?

Old 05-31-2018, 08:02 PM

4,756 posts, read 8,381,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Question: is there any difference in the stopping power of a .38 Calibur between a pistol and a revolver?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wFlWvdUboMM

Old 06-01-2018, 07:14 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
My friend had the best hollow point bullets of the time in his Walther PPK/S and the kill shot that eventually killed the perp hit the perps liver and tore it up, so more than deep enough, and several other shots hit the perp deep enough to kill him, the problem I was pointing out is, it is not whether the bad guy will die or not, it is about how fast the bad guy stops his attack, does he die or fall before he gets to kill us, or drop to the ground as close to immediately as possible, the larger and heavier the bullet that is traveling at a decent speed is, the more blood loss, thus the faster the person hit with it will cease his or her attack.

An ice pick will kill a person, only problem is that they may have plenty of time to kill the person who stabbed them with the ice pick before they die.

Hollow point ammunition (in all calibers) requires some thought as to when its actually better to use than say a FP or even ball. During Winter months when heavy clothing is being worn a hollow point can and will plug up in the cavity effectively making it into no more than ball. I use a 225 FP year round in 45 ACP. I think HP gets over rated a bit especially given circumstances that can be present. It's not always the best choice. Especially in smaller calibers like a 380.

I carry a full size 1911 or a 4 inch mod 66 SW, also a full size gun, and deal with a certain amount of discomfort keeping them concealed. I do carry open at times since I have that option. I didn't used to carry open at all because I didn't want to draw attention but the practice is now so common here nobody even looks sideways at it. Deep concealment not being an issue the 380 has never found a niche in my inventory.

Speaking for myself I do agree that a 380 is as it has been said is better than being unarmed. I would caution against being overconfident in it with HP ammo as I would with any handgun. Proper HP performance in any weapon is dependent on a few factors. A 380 is not my personal first choice but I won't rule it out as a viable one.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:08 AM

2,668 posts, read 1,668,301 times
A 9 mm is only .354 in inch measurements, so as others have pointed out, its about more than just projectile size, although that is a factor in the overall combination.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:01 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
A 9 mm is only .354 in inch measurements, so as others have pointed out, its about more than just projectile size, although that is a factor in the overall combination.

I carry 125 gr JSP in my 357 loaded at 38 +p. I don't use magnums when two legged predators are the threat. As I said earlier 225 gr FP in my 45. I don't put an inordinate amount of faith in HP stuff regardless of its ratings in stats. This is the real world not ballistic gel. Lot of variables.

The one time I have had to shoot at another human in self defense was with my mod 66. At that time I was using a 130gr SXT HP and it was Summer. It wouldn't have mattered between that and 150 gr ball anyway as the shot was placed in an instantly fatal spot. A 380 would have produced the same end result.

I have a really tough time making judgements on what someone chooses as a defensive gun. Not knowing anything about their skill or character makes it hard. I'm not Cooper who went on record as saying he'd rather have a tomahawk than a 25 ACP, though my experience with the latter round makes me lean his way.

I carry full size full house handguns for defense. I don't even own anything under 38/357. Shot placement is key as experience has taught me but I'd still rather have a fullsize pistol at minimum. I would have to personally say a 9mm minimum is my choice if I have to choose other than my own gun. A 380 is a fall back to me. Not a primary. However I am a large man and well experienced with handguns over a LONG period.

A 380may well suit another person far better than what I carry. No doubt about it actually. Splitting hairs about "stopping power" is the same to me as "what handgun should I carry for bear." The answer is none. Carry a 45 70. However practical street defense is a different story isn't it.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:17 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I would say they are in the same class for power, mostly. By .38 Caliber I think you mean anything with a .356 to .358 diameter bullet. There are a lot of different rounds for the automatic, the .380 being the least powerful of those commonly encountered. You go on up to 9mm (9X19) (Luger), then on to more powerful but less popular like the .38 Super, the .357 SIG, etc. I think the highest power 9mm automatic round is the 9mm Winchester Magnum. I have never seen a pistol so chambered. There is at least one .357 Magnum auto pistol out there, but it's sort of an oddball - the Desert Eagle. If you are big enough to conceal a Desert Eagle, likely no one will mess with you in the first place.

Most automatic handguns have just one barrel length available, although some options are out there. The Luger, mostly an antique now, came with from a 4" up to something like 10" (Artillery).

In revolvers, you mostly see .38 Special and .357 Magnum, and you can get, within reason, whatever barrel length you want. You may find a few single-action Ruger .357 Maximum revolvers out there, but like the Luger, these are more a collector's item than a gat for practical use.

So there is a wide field of different pistols and revolvers in this caliber group. The most commonly encountered revolver, bought new, would probably be the .357 Magnum, while the most common auto pistol is the 9X19. Between these, yeah, the .357 has a good bit more power, but particularly in a small easy to carry gat, it's sort of a handful. Almost all cops carry some sort of 9X19. With the better ammo out there, the 9X19 is probably "more than enough" for most situations. You can get high-capacity magazine 9X19 pistols, and a reload with these is way faster than a revolver, no contest.

In any case, hit them in the right place with any of these rounds, they are going down, but a peripheral hit is unlikely to stop the fight, although the .357 is probably the best round to take an assailant down with a poorly placed hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting