Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:52 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times

Advertisements

I have read, BTW, that Browning himself intended the 1911 to be carried in Condition 1, although it seems that the Army was bigger on a flap holster and carrying in Condition 3.

If one carries in a proper holster, and strictly follows Rule 3 (finger away from trigger, until sights are on the target) I really do think Condition 1 is not only faster, it's safer. Safer in terms of less chance of a negligent discharge, or failure to manipulate the piece properly so it will fire (drawing in Condition 3 and having to rack the slide)

To me it's ironic that various police forces didn't want officers carrying in Condition 1, went over to the Glock, which has no safety other than the "secondary trigger" or whatever you want to call that. I am not seeing how that is "safer". Best follow Rule 3 very strictly and carefully when shooting a Glock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 05:01 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,017 times
Glock has a firing pin block. The trigger has to be squeezed to fire.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:24 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,858,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
You got a point there so I'll say the 9mm Glocks. I really meant all Glocks but I realize all that just tipped the scale over. 380, 9mm, 40sw, 357sig, 10mm and 45acp.

Though the 1911 is iconic the 45acp are what made history like the 9mm (Luger, 9x19, Parabellum).

Then there's the Colt 45. Now that's history.
For those of us who load/reload our ammo, brass cases fired through Glock semi-auto pistols have what's called Unsupported Chambers, and they are notorious for creating the so-called Glock Bulge in the bottom of the brass cases. It's not a problem if the cases are going to be fired once and discarded, but for us reloaders, we have to take an extra step in the resizing process to get rid of the bulge. If I collect range brass, I look for signs the cases were fired in a Glock, the obvious bulge, and a unique triangular shape on the fired primers.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:49 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I have read, BTW, that Browning himself intended the 1911 to be carried in Condition 1, although it seems that the Army was bigger on a flap holster and carrying in Condition 3.

If one carries in a proper holster, and strictly follows Rule 3 (finger away from trigger, until sights are on the target) I really do think Condition 1 is not only faster, it's safer. Safer in terms of less chance of a negligent discharge, or failure to manipulate the piece properly so it will fire (drawing in Condition 3 and having to rack the slide)

To me it's ironic that various police forces didn't want officers carrying in Condition 1, went over to the Glock, which has no safety other than the "secondary trigger" or whatever you want to call that. I am not seeing how that is "safer". Best follow Rule 3 very strictly and carefully when shooting a Glock.
Quote:
Glock has a firing pin block. The trigger has to be squeezed to fire.
Time changes minds in strange ways.

The 1911 got the strap safety pretty much right off the bat--I think it was added before the army accepted it--and it got a pin safety at some point after that. It's always been as safe from dropping as the Glock. Cocked and locked, it's safer than the Glock.

The only trick to that is training the thumb to sweep off the safety as its being drawn. That takes a fairly minimal amount of training, but it's more training than most police forces want to invest in their officers.

And then, there was the fact that once the safety was off, you had that single-action trigger under an itchy finger.

Double action was familiar to police forces, so that's what hey preferred in a semi-auto.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,017 times
Double action trigger has a cushion. While you squeeze the trigger you can change your mind and back off. With a single action it's instantaneous.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:24 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
Quote:

Then there's the Colt 45. Now that's history.
Colt 45, it is so good that they named a beer after it

Old 04-26-2018, 08:40 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I suspect it is not the USP. I used mine at the range the other day and know why I love it over the years. It's an excellent combat pistol and even at the decock, the trigger is relatively easy (you do have to squeeze through it but once use to it). Come up on target and shoot!

BUT, I am feeling it in the joints after practice, it is BIG, and.....it is expensive. So I don't expect that it is the winner.

The 1911? Possibly but it is made by so many different people, so many different countries. So if it is the winner, is there a maker who is the winner?

The advertisers would probably say Glock, but that is a maker and not a particular pistol. Is it possible that there is a particular pistol, model, that is more common, than a particular kind of Glock?

So what is it?
Interesting question. I'm still thinking bout it. There are a lot of categories to consider. Home/self defense, LE, a plethora of competitive disciplines, plinkers, etc. Each category is going to show its own top pistol. Competition wise I would hazard that the 1911 I oe form or another is top dog. LE and defensive wise striker fired Tupperware is probably king. So I guess if one aggregates and averages those sets of numbers therein would lie the answer.

I don't think that the lions share of new shooters is buying 1911 type pistols, and with all other considerations taken into account it seems logical that pistols like the Glock take the top slot. That includes HK,SW,SA etc with their own entries into this pistol type.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:45 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,604 times
Based on LE, defensive carry, home defense, and general gun ownership, I suspect the Glock pistols as a group win, and within that genus, I would hazard a guess that the Model 23 or 22 is the top contender. Currently, the .40 seems to be en vogue with PD's, and also with a lot of gun owners, probably because a lot of people use the maxim thatbif the cops use it, it must be good. My own experience is local to my AO, so I may be totally off base. I have owned a lot of different pistols over the years, and all I have now are Glocks and 1911's. Revolvers, just S&W and Ruger these days.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:38 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,953,866 times
I appreciate all Glock fanboys thinking it's the most produced of pistol in the U.S., but I still think it's hard to beat 1911s.

From my previous post, the 1911 production predominately by Colt from 1912 to 1981 (ironically; Glock takes off in the 1980s to present day), that's almost 70 years of production with WW I, WW II, Korea, and Vietnam war production ramped up. It's hard for me to imagine Glock, though popular as is, can beat this record with half of time in history and was never a "war issued" gun.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:31 PM

28,663 posts, read 18,768,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I appreciate all Glock fanboys thinking it's the most produced of pistol in the U.S., but I still think it's hard to beat 1911s.

From my previous post, the 1911 production predominately by Colt from 1912 to 1981 (ironically; Glock takes off in the 1980s to present day), that's almost 70 years of production with WW I, WW II, Korea, and Vietnam war production ramped up. It's hard for me to imagine Glock, though popular as is, can beat this record with half of time in history and was never a "war issued" gun.
For most of the history of the 1911, revolvers were the preferred handgun outside the military. By the time semi-autos became the supreme choice, the Glock was on the scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting