Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:18 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times

Advertisements

Growing up, my kids were all taught about guns and gun safety. I also knew that there would be times they'd be exposed to guns (at friends houses, etc) when I wasn't around. Consequently, I drilled gun safety AND the Eddie Eagle program into their heads - I also booby trapped 'em.

I'd purposely leave guns out (yeah - I cheated - the firing pins had been removed) in a corner or on a table.....dusted with graphite powder. Wouldn't say a word, but when I got home I'd inspect the gun for signs of handling, then observe the kids' hands. It wasn't until they had their OWN kids that I pointed out what a b**** it was to remove graphite, especially when you weren't aware of it (most kids just don't notice it). They kids thought I had some kind of special vision - but more importantly, learned to NEVER handle a gun when I wasn't present.

Oh - and yeah, I had a safe. Have even more now......lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 10:46 AM

910 posts, read 1,082,519 times
Locks shouldn't be promoted. If you are going to own a firearm, you should be required to have a safe. No exceptions. I actually keep my guns, and ammo locked up separately. I have a locking cabinet for my ammo, safe for my guns. All of my kids have been taught to shoot, and all know how to safely handle a firearm. My personal defense gun is the only one not in the safe, and it is NEVER loaded. I keep a loaded magazine with me, my wife has another. IF we ever needed it, it only takes a couple seconds to pop in the magazine, and chamber a round.

There is no excuse for having loaded firearms within reach of a child.

They need to charge the Texas father with accessory to murder, the same with the Waffle House shooters father. People like them are risking firearms ownership for the next generations.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
No. It can't be used if it has a lock on it. I do plan on purchasing a small safe with fingerprint reader to put my handgun in for quick access, but for now it's with me 99% of the time, or next to my bed at night.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Locks shouldn't be promoted. If you are going to own a firearm, you should be required to have a safe. No exceptions. I actually keep my guns, and ammo locked up separately. I have a locking cabinet for my ammo, safe for my guns. All of my kids have been taught to shoot, and all know how to safely handle a firearm. My personal defense gun is the only one not in the safe, and it is NEVER loaded. I keep a loaded magazine with me, my wife has another. IF we ever needed it, it only takes a couple seconds to pop in the magazine, and chamber a round.

There is no excuse for having loaded firearms within reach of a child.

They need to charge the Texas father with accessory to murder, the same with the Waffle House shooters father. People like them are risking firearms ownership for the next generations.
Define "child", please. My teenage daughter knows how to use a gun, she knows gun safety, has taken a class, and has hunted with me. She's a down-to-earth, responsible kid that I have no doubt in my mind I can trust her.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:57 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
My personal defense gun is the only one not in the safe, and it is NEVER loaded. I keep a loaded magazine with me, my wife has another. IF we ever needed it, it only takes a couple seconds to pop in the magazine, and chamber a round.
Sorry I disagree. If you feel you need a self-defense gun, it should be loaded. Are you both deep sleepers? What if the perp is already in your home and looking down on you as you sleep? Do you think he'll give you time to load the weapon? That scenario won't happen, you say--think again.

If you have children in the house, you need to rethink your self-defense plans. Believe me, kids are very inquisitive. A big dog would be more dependable than an unloaded weapon.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:58 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why would a trigger lock be on a loaded gun with one in the chamber?
Why do people keep a round in the chamber when cleaning a gun? Some people are stupid, trigger locks just encourage more stupidity. You can load a weapon with a trigger lock on, you can also easily pry off trigger locks as well.

Take the advice left here and keep the guns in the safe if kiddies are running around.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:27 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Sorry I disagree. If you feel you need a self-defense gun, it should be loaded. Are you both deep sleepers? What if the perp is already in your home and looking down on you as you sleep? Do you think he'll give you time to load the weapon? That scenario won't happen, you say--think again.

If you have children in the house, you need to rethink your self-defense plans. Believe me, kids are very inquisitive. A big dog would be more dependable than an unloaded weapon.

I don't know. Of course what you say could happen but even a unloaded gun can be used to intimidate and stop a criminal armed with say a knife or crowbar and make him think twice.

Of course a unloaded gun could get you killed if you wave it around in public, the police won't double check before they use their loaded guns on you.

I still say guns should be locked up when not in immediate use by the owner or someone trained to safely handle them.
I can't help but think if a criminal broke into your home and took your unsecured gun loaded or not.

A gun should always be secured to prevent unauthorized use but this can be a difficult proposition to many who own guns for personal protection because that criminal that is banging on your door, climbing through a window he just broke or coming up the stairs to do you harm will not wait for you to unlock and load your protection.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:21 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
One other thing.....I've had access to loaded firearms since the age of 10. Have had one in my room (yes, with ammo) since the age of 12. Have never used a firearm illegally, nor even been accused of it. Each of my kids got their own gun at the age of 12 - and had access to it in their rooms. NONE of them ever misused the guns (and yes - I was very watchful).

I have 12 grandchildren, and all but one of them received a gun from "Opa" the Christmas that they turned 12 (.22 lever actions) except for one - my namesake - who received the semi-automatic .22 i received the Christmas I turned 12, complete with the original receipt and paperwork (Dad kept EVERYTHING in terms of receipts/paperwork, and I found it all when he passed).

The one grandchild - a boy - that didn't receive a firearm from me didn't for a very good reason - he's neither mature or trustworthy enough to own a firearm IMO. He's now 23, has had 3 children with two different women (he's actually with the one that has had two of his kids), but doesn't hold jobs long because he's "smarter" than any boss, and likes to dabble in drugs. Both my son and DIL understood - and supported - my decision, and honestly have little to do with him because they know he can't be trusted, and they don't want him "poisoning" their other two kids, who are both as good as you could wish for.

So, yeah - I have little or NO patience/empathy for a family member that has allowed a child access to a firearm that does wrong with it. If they're paying any kind of attention to things, the signs ARE there, they just have to be willing to act on them.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:27 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,582,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't know. Of course what you say could happen but even a unloaded gun can be used to intimidate and stop a criminal armed with say a knife or crowbar and make him think twice.

Of course a unloaded gun could get you killed if you wave it around in public, the police won't double check before they use their loaded guns on you.

I still say guns should be locked up when not in immediate use by the owner or someone trained to safely handle them.
I can't help but think if a criminal broke into your home and took your unsecured gun loaded or not.

A gun should always be secured to prevent unauthorized use but this can be a difficult proposition to many who own guns for personal protection because that criminal that is banging on your door, climbing through a window he just broke or coming up the stairs to do you harm will not wait for you to unlock and load your protection.
I get what you're saying, and of course, when not at home, all firearms should be in the safe, even the self-defense gun, unless you are carrying it.

As I said above, if you have children in the home, I really think you should rethink using a gun as a self-defense weapon at all. You wake up groggy and don't realize that the banging at your bedroom door is really your 3-year old who is afraid the monsters will get him. Do you really want to even take a chance you might accidentally shoot him? Your teenager is sneaking back into the house after visiting the boyfriend you say she should not be seeing. The lights are off, she's supposed to be in her room and you see a dark body moving through the living room? Again, want to take a chance on accidentally shooting her?

There are many non-lethal self-defense weapons available. I would want to have those in the home if I had children. And, as I said, I would definitely have a dog or two.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
I get what you're saying, and of course, when not at home, all firearms should be in the safe, even the self-defense gun, unless you are carrying it.

As I said above, if you have children in the home, I really think you should rethink using a gun as a self-defense weapon at all. You wake up groggy and don't realize that the banging at your bedroom door is really your 3-year old who is afraid the monsters will get him. Do you really want to even take a chance you might accidentally shoot him? Your teenager is sneaking back into the house after visiting the boyfriend you say she should not be seeing. The lights are off, she's supposed to be in her room and you see a dark body moving through the living room? Again, want to take a chance on accidentally shooting her?

There are many non-lethal self-defense weapons available. I would want to have those in the home if I had children. And, as I said, I would definitely have a dog or two.
My kid knows I have guns. She knows not to sneak back in at night without announcing herself.

Having said that, I would never shoot first without knowing who the target is and if he/she is intent on harming me--including someone in my bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting