U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 10:16 AM

806 posts, read 237,501 times

Advertisements

I use a safe. Also, in Maryland, it is illegal to transport a regulated firearm, except under very specific conditions, defined by law. When transporting, I always obey all Maryland laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 12:24 PM

8,711 posts, read 8,913,183 times
I have young kids, so I take gun safety very seriously. I built a room in the basement, with keypad access, with a safe inside, where guns are stored with bolts/cylinders/firing pins, etc removed and locked in a separate box, with cable locks installed to comply with MA law when I transport in a case. Ammo stored separate and locked. Overkill yes, but most of my collection is antique WW2 era firearms that I probably haven't even fired or handled in 2-3 years.

I do live in a decent area, where the most likely thing to go bump in the night are my 5 year old sons. I've often woken up to them stumbling around at night looking for snacks or going potty. As a result, my first instinct at night is to not reach for the one firearm I keep in my bedroom locked in a biometric safe...I just can't because the odds are it will most likely be one of my kids. To be honest, that one gun has been spending more and more time in the main safe.

I understand that teaching kids about firearm safety is a key aspect in getting them to respect guns and know not to touch them, but I still wouldn't leave a loaded gun sitting around and hope they got the lesson.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:26 PM

763 posts, read 478,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninvegas View Post
Sorry I disagree. If you feel you need a self-defense gun, it should be loaded. Are you both deep sleepers? What if the perp is already in your home and looking down on you as you sleep? Do you think he'll give you time to load the weapon? That scenario won't happen, you say--think again.

If you have children in the house, you need to rethink your self-defense plans. Believe me, kids are very inquisitive. A big dog would be more dependable than an unloaded weapon.

We do have 2 very big dogs, who are both very aggressive due to them being a breeding pair. We also have an alarm with every window and door covered. Our entire yard is fenced. So if someone did happen to jump the fence, and get past the dogs, as soon as a window or door is opened, the alarm will go off. It will tell me what door or window was opened. So there isn't any chance to wake up to someone in my room.

We keep our magazines on our person at all times when home. The pistol stays downstairs in the kitchen during the day. At night, it comes upstairs to the bedroom. I have reinforced the front and back doors, by adding a piece of steel to the door frame, so that the door can't be kicked in.

We have 4 kids, 5, 7, 10, and 12. So having a loaded firearm anywhere in the home isn't an option.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:05 AM

9,796 posts, read 7,106,581 times
Trigger locks, cable locks, locked gun cabinets, locked gun rooms, storing guns and ammo separately and firearms in pieces that will have to be reassembled are all good deterrents to unauthorized use.

Only gun owners can promote gun safety by securing their firearms.
The last thing we need is another school shooting where a kid is upset at his bullying classmates ,goes home to collect his dads gun and brings it back to school.

Such a scene is tragic and more ammo for those that would ban guns.

Keeping guns out of the hands of the unauthorized is a big start to stopping this rash of school shootings.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:16 PM

11,564 posts, read 17,496,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Trigger locks, cable locks, locked gun cabinets, locked gun rooms, storing guns and ammo separately and firearms in pieces that will have to be reassembled are all good deterrents to unauthorized use.

Only gun owners can promote gun safety by securing their firearms.
The last thing we need is another school shooting where a kid is upset at his bullying classmates ,goes home to collect his dads gun and brings it back to school.

Such a scene is tragic and more ammo for those that would ban guns.

Keeping guns out of the hands of the unauthorized is a big start to stopping this rash of school shootings.
We all agree I think (except that some security measures are better than others).

Although a couple months ago I had a thread about the dangers of keeping unsecured weapons in even a locked car (as most weapon thefts come from smash and grab car entry) and there was actually one person that disagreed and said it was not necessary.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:11 PM

7,824 posts, read 7,816,354 times
I have a safe but no kids living at home. My three sons all have their own safes to keep their guns in. None are left out when kids are around. When the grandkids visit here, the home defense weapons are locked up except for my EDC - which is on my person.

All are well educated about gun safety.... and keeping their mitts off until given permission.

Trigger locks? lol - a political sop, nothing more.
The big gun locks Ruger supplies with new purchases make good bike locks for the grandkids.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:00 AM

8,857 posts, read 4,826,319 times
Things vary.

The other week I was traveling across country for a weekend dance show. I had my 1911 which is my daily car gun, my USP as my preferred defense gun, and my rifle. Both the 1911 and the USP were armed and ready; the rifle was in one minute disassembled. That is, in under one minute, the rifle could be a ready platform. I disarmed at my hostess's house (better security than keeping them in the car) with a manual of arms.

Okay, that's an adult's house, their security, and no need for locks.

When I stay at my brother's house, gun load out is about the same and the locks go on after unloading (or other means of disabling) ....and the keys go around my neck and stay there.

In my own house with no children, there are ready pistols around, armed and loaded. The reason is simple in that a pistol out of the vault on "alert" (as oppose to one in the gun bag going to the range) has to be ready to be fired with one hand. As I've told one brother, if you find a gun in my house, treat it as loaded because it will be.

Finally, a thing or two about staying with relatives. I was packing the car to go home once and my nephew at the time (brother is now divorced from that family), years ago for he is now in the service, was surprised that I always travel with a rifle. Then there was another time when his mother told me she was not surprised for she expected me always to have something extra to my pistol.

Things vary.

EDIT: One other thing about how things vary.

One of my girlfriends has young children and she's sort of the assuming type when it comes to those who have money....like me. Given how I am frequently asked about expensive things, if she was passing through the region and wanted to stay at my house, I would probably say no.

Why? It's really not about the guns for they can go into the vault and the keys can go around my neck. It's about my pets, right now only cats. We are talking about animals that only live with an adult and essentially get away with murder. I know the limits but a small child, as the video shows,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkegY5WuHIQ
(IMHO, the parent was wrong for letting it occur)

perhaps does not and I won't put my animals at risk.

Others say it is better to have a dog for security but look at a dog this way. We are talking about a mobile security system with its own defenses and a programming that not only do we not have access to but also we may not understand completely.

Dogs are great and I hope one will eventually find the ranch, as in being lost or a stray, so adoption can occur. Dogs are great when everyone understands the score. When there is a human that does not, however, then protective measures, one direction or another, must be done.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 05-30-2018 at 03:33 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 04:49 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,745,861 times
I have cable locks on some of my guns and also in padlocked cases, I also have 3 gun safes with my long guns in them. I do have grandchidren living with me. Oh also all the guns except my bedroom gun, which is in a small gun safe, all the rest including the other gun safes are in a room with a deadbolt lock on the door. Lock is high on the door too and I have the key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or