Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 12:59 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times

Advertisements

I'm currently carrying a Ruger LCP 2. I'd like to upgrade to a Glock 9MM. Not sure which one--just an easy to conceal, smallish, but not sub-compact. I am a bit confused by the numbering system. It seems as if the lower numbers should indicate a smaller gun size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 01:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Quote:
North American Arms Ranger II .22 magnum
North American Arms Sidewinder .22 magnum

You know how to live dangerously.

Quote:
Remington R1 Commander .45 ACP
No, you don't want one. I have a Remington R1 in 10mm. I've had to spend another hundred bucks on just parts only to get it to run right and I'm waiting on more parts as I post this. I'll have another 200 in it just to get it to function right by the end of the week. NO, you won't send it back to Remington for repair or parts as those that have are still waiting for their guns to HOPEFULLY come back to them. It's a bad thing when a company is in bankruptcy. No, the guns that Remington took in for repair will be fixed. The guns coming back will still have issues, IF they come back at all. So now you know, no, you don't want one. FWIW, the R1 is just a Para clone and Para's were not noted for reliability. Considering mine shoots about 12" high at 25 yds, I'll also have to buy new sights as the sights are not standard cut 1911 sights. The slide will have to be milled for 1911 sights and then buy the correct sights. Hard to believe that any company could turn out crap like the R1.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:52 PM

10,738 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm currently carrying a Ruger LCP 2. I'd like to upgrade to a Glock 9MM. Not sure which one--just an easy to conceal, smallish, but not sub-compact. I am a bit confused by the numbering system. It seems as if the lower numbers should indicate a smaller gun size.
Look at the G19. It’s one of, if not the most popular Glock models for good reason.

The Glock numbering system has nothing to do with size, it’s the order in which they where patented. The G17, Gaston Glocks first pistol, wasn’t named because of the 17 round magazine capacity, but rather because it was his 17th patent. Subsequent pistols are numbered sequentially.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:09 PM

12,949 posts, read 13,339,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You know how to live dangerously.

No, you don't want one. I have a Remington R1 in 10mm. I've had to spend another hundred bucks on just parts only to get it to run right and I'm waiting on more parts as I post this. I'll have another 200 in it just to get it to function right by the end of the week. NO, you won't send it back to Remington for repair or parts as those that have are still waiting for their guns to HOPEFULLY come back to them. It's a bad thing when a company is in bankruptcy. No, the guns that Remington took in for repair will be fixed. The guns coming back will still have issues, IF they come back at all. So now you know, no, you don't want one. FWIW, the R1 is just a Para clone and Para's were not noted for reliability. Considering mine shoots about 12" high at 25 yds, I'll also have to buy new sights as the sights are not standard cut 1911 sights. The slide will have to be milled for 1911 sights and then buy the correct sights. Hard to believe that any company could turn out crap like the R1.
I like the North Americans just for the quality made little novelty items they are. Already have an old one that I don't like to shoot - and never carry.

I have an R1 government that is a good gun for the cheap price ($399). It's a reliable shooter - but just a gun to have, not to carry. Already had a nice stainless Colt Series 70 Government (but gave it to my DIL). My brother has the Commander and likes it just fine. Again, I'd want it as a plinker/paper killer, nothing more. If Remington goes teats up, no big financial loss.

My actually carry rotation guns are a Kahr CW9, a CW45 and a Ruger SP101 .357 - also A Kahr CT380 and an original LCP for pocket carry. Just depends on the weather. Have a new 3" SP101 in .327 federal that might work its way into the rotation.

I don't buy top of the line hardware like Ed Brown or Korth, am just a poor old retired schoolteacher.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:52 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Here is my list in this particular order:

1. CZ SP-01 Tactical (Decocker version) in 9mm.
2. CZ 550 American in .308
3. CZ P10C in 9mm
4. Glock 42 (Until CZ starts making single stack sub-compact pistols. My CZ RAMI 2075 D is too bulky to carry IWB).
5. CZ 805 Bren S1 Carbine in .223/5.56
6. CZ 1911 A1 (Dream gun, almost impossible to find. I heard, there are about only 1000 of them in the country).
7. CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1 Carbine in 9mm. (Don't really need it, just want it for fun.)

I guess, you could tell I sold my soul to CZ.

Yeah, same here, having bought a CZ Ultra Lux .22 rifle, just love it, am thinking about a CZ 97 .45 ACP. Maybe even a CZ 550 Magnum in .375 H&H. I have no real need for any of these, I just like them!

Old 06-05-2018, 11:03 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
My wife keeps me in Czech.
She makes sure you won't go Hungary buying all those guns.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Look at the G19. It’s one of, if not the most popular Glock models for good reason.

The Glock numbering system has nothing to do with size, it’s the order in which they where patented. The G17, Gaston Glocks first pistol, wasn’t named because of the 17 round magazine capacity, but rather because it was his 17th patent. Subsequent pistols are numbered sequentially.
Just paid for a Glock 19 yesterday. In my communist state they require a 3 day wait, so I can't pick it up for a couple days, yet, but I'm looking forward to some time at the range.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Just paid for a Glock 19 yesterday. In my communist state they require a 3 day wait, so I can't pick it up for a couple days, yet, but I'm looking forward to some time at the range.
Excellent! I think you’ll be very pleased.

Consider adding a set of night sights. I like Trijicons, but there are other good options as well.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Excellent! I think you’ll be very pleased.

Consider adding a set of night sights. I like Trijicons, but there are other good options as well.
Thanks! I saw a video review of it and that seems to be the thing people complain about with it. I've been wanting a Glock for awhile. I've shot both the 19 and 26, and liked the 19 more--I was a lot more accurate with it. Now I just need to wait for the holster to arrive before I begin carrying it, and I need to get some range time.

Old 06-06-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I saw a video review of it and that seems to be the thing people complain about with it. I've been wanting a Glock for awhile. I've shot both the 19 and 26, and liked the 19 more--I was a lot more accurate with it. Now I just need to wait for the holster to arrive before I begin carrying it, and I need to get some range time.
What kind of holster did you get?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting