U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 10:59 PM

576 posts, read 462,321 times

Advertisements

Put your dog in a kennel that the coyotes can't get through. That's what saved my dog from a mountain lion. We have lots of them. I was just thinking about how we used to have lots of wild house cats here and now I don't see any. People with security cameras have them recorded jumping fences and running away with cats in their mouths. Local dogs have disappeared also.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 01:31 AM

6,187 posts, read 3,341,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
Put your dog in a kennel that the coyotes can't get through. That's what saved my dog from a mountain lion. We have lots of them. I was just thinking about how we used to have lots of wild house cats here and now I don't see any. People with security cameras have them recorded jumping fences and running away with cats in their mouths. Local dogs have disappeared also.

Your dog doesn't sleep with you in your bed?!

Old 10-13-2018, 04:09 PM

3,518 posts, read 2,906,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesvitch View Post
Cheap night vision will not work for a week. I bought some first gen Russian crap. It would not last. I sent it back and got a replacement several times and same thing.
I doubt anyone but Spetsnaz in Russia or FSU receives anything close to state of the art night vision, and they certainly don't use bulldust Gen 1 which went obsolete about the time the US pulled out of Saigon. Modern gear, which the US makes via various companies domestically for military and law enforcement: Gen III and Gen IV. If you can find it used, not easy to do, expect to pay $3K-8K. Best used with IR illumination and similarly equipped weapons.

Not some goof on the roof spying coyotes (chuckle). Or, build out a 300 AAC Blackout AR, add suppressor, and work on precision shooting at night. Lot of work, and sketchy I'm sure. I'd expect to see the cops arrive within about an hour.

Most of those buying the above are on missions to eradicate enemy personnel, preferably as quietly as possible, with Gov't budgets. Not a domestic mission most of us have to worry about.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:12 PM

47 posts, read 8,396 times
I also have problems with coyotes and wild dogs. To see at night, I use LED flashlights: a Dewalt 20V LED rechargeable flashlight & a Cree LED flashlight that uses 3 AA batteries. Both are like spotlights, easily casting light across 40 acres. You can mount the Cree on the barrel of your gun.

When you use your flashlight, keep it near your head or in line with your eyes and what you're looking at. That way, you'll be able to see their eyes light up (or glow) when you locate them.

My neighbor grazes cattle, and two weeks ago, he eradicated a pack of wild dogs. The good part is they no longer bark at my house. The bad part is it attracted crows and buzzards. The crows decided to use my horse troughs as a watering hole.

The coyotes still howl at night. In my neighborhood, the coyotes are scared and shy. It's the coyote-wolf hybrids that worry me. US government introduced Mexican Grey Wolves, and in former times, the wolves ate coyotes. In modern times, the wolves would rather mate with coyotes than eat them. These hybrids look like coyotes but bigger, hang around in packs, and they aren't afraid of people. Coyotes will spook and run off. Hybrids will stop and look at you curiously, even approach.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:09 PM

1,274 posts, read 435,343 times
"Any ideas?"

yes.
they're all expensive.

eradication is futile.

best solution is to Build A Wall or adequate fence
which extends at least one foot underground.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:39 PM

7,042 posts, read 12,498,861 times
https://www.amazon.com/Fi-Shock-Elec...electric+fence

"The garden & pet electric fence energizer from Fi-Shock is designed to help gardeners & homeowners to keep unwanted animals out of gardens, flowerbeds & ponds. Powered by two d-cell batteries, this fence charger is easy to install & operate. It's also perfect for areas that need protection from pest animals yet have no electricity. Under optimal conditions, this Fi-Shock energizer electrifiesup to one Mile of fencing & can protectup to five acres. The power output measures 7.5Kv +/- 20% open circuit voltage. "

Scroll down and see what is usually sold with this to help keep the critters out...and yours in after that first or second ZAP, for around $65.
Under "Frequently Bought Together

Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM

8,443 posts, read 4,618,852 times
the question wasnt about shooting them but how to see them at night

Old Today, 04:55 PM

2,474 posts, read 1,838,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsa View Post
there's kids airsoft "night vision" goggles that (sort of) work to show you where you're walking and sub $200 passive IR goggles that show you live targets (or hot engines)

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...t+night+vision

https://www.google.com/search?q=pass...hrome&ie=UTF-8
I have two pair of night vision googles that I bought from a toy store for under fifty bucks a piece they work very well but you don't wear them they are more like binoculars. I use them for Ghost hunting and they have lasted me many years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or