U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
Old Today, 08:04 PM
Location: Cooper Maine
548 posts, read 597,859 times
Reputation: 497


Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
I recently spoke to a BATF agent about this, and he confirmed that transferring handguns to an out of state relative must go thru an FFL in that other state. There are no "private, face to face transactions" across state lines.

Same rules for gifts, sales, and inheritances. I didn't ask about long guns.

No FFL is required for inheritance firearms to cross state lines. Note inheritance means it was LEFT TO YOU BY NAME IN THE PERSONS WILL. If say your dad dies and everything goes to your mom and she gives you his shotgun that is NOT inheritance. Also the person who receives the inheritance must insure the item is LEGAL in their state of residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top