U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:05 AM

2,810 posts, read 1,961,495 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have bought guns in 3 states, NH, MA, and WV. In all three I of course had to go through the background check etc. But in none of the states did I have to register the guns in any way.
My question is if I wish to give any of those guns to family members do I have to somehow transfer them, and How does that work? I now live in WV if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2018, 11:36 AM

9,307 posts, read 7,402,416 times
AFAIK, there is no Federal law requiring a background check for a gift.
I know nothing about your state laws regarding the issue. In my state there is no problem. In Washington, ANY firearms transfer requires a background check, according to State Law. I haven't heard of any enforcement action of that law. I have relatives in the Seattle/Tacoma area, so I'm sure I would have heard about it if it took place.

Old 07-08-2018, 11:42 AM

8,034 posts, read 8,028,239 times
If your family members reside out of state from WV, then you have to do a transfer through an FFL. If you send the guns to an out of state FFL for transfer, make sure that FFL will accept a gun shipped from a non-FFL. If not, then you would have to have a WV FFL ship the guns to the out of state FFL for you. (usually a nominal fee of $30-$50/gun).

If they live in WV, check your state laws to see if you can just hand it to them. I'd guess there would be no problems to do so, since WV is a "free state" (no permits necessary for eligible adults to purchase and/or carry a firearm concealed or openly).

Just make sure your relatives are eligible to own a firearm (not a felon, addict, mentally ill, etc...)

Again, check your state laws, as anonymous Internet posters are not the ultimate authority on anything..... particularly the law. Neither are your local police.

Last edited by ScoPro; 07-08-2018 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-08-2018, 01:09 PM

1,193 posts, read 354,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Hi, I have bought guns in 3 states, NH, MA, and WV. In all three I of course had to go through the background check etc. But in none of the states did I have to register the guns in any way.
My question is if I wish to give any of those guns to family members do I have to somehow transfer them, and How does that work? I now live in WV if that helps.
Depends on the state you’re in. In Maryland, ANY regulated firearm must be transferred through an FFL to be a lawful transaction. Note that in Maryland, regulated does not necessarily mean registered. I’d check with your local state police barracks.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:54 PM

He said he's in West Virginia now - which is a "free state".

Old 07-09-2018, 12:54 PM

5,720 posts, read 1,499,423 times
Quote:
Go by your current state's laws. If WV doesn't require it, don't worry about it. You cannot be held accountable to those other states if you are not living there.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:42 PM

2,810 posts, read 1,961,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
He said he's in West Virginia now - which is a "free state".
JFYI that would be She

Old 07-13-2018, 04:26 PM

10,592 posts, read 7,570,048 times
I don't know about WV but in MA the person that owns the gun needs to be properly licensed to possess that gun.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
JFYI that would be She

Oops! Pardon me, young lady.

FWIW - At least four women in my extended family have concealed carry licenses (and do carry), plus my granddaughter is planning on doing the same. Unfortunately my wife does not like guns and has never fired one, but she doesn't mind my hobby of accumulating them.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,381,425 times
I recently spoke to a BATF agent about this, and he confirmed that transferring handguns to an out of state relative must go thru an FFL in that other state. There are no "private, face to face transactions" across state lines.

Same rules for gifts, sales, and inheritances. I didn't ask about long guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting