Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times

Advertisements

.....Remember several months ago, it may have been even over a yr ago, some guys were "stockin' up" on .22 L.R. ammo (and making the shortage even worse) at .10 to .15 cents/round (some even higher) 'cause they thought it would never again be priced any lower,........and the availability (lack there of) was the fault of our gov't etc, etc, etc.

Well, how 'bout 4 cents/round now?

I guess it takes us old foggies to show that 70 to 80 yrs 'under the belt' and a little 'patience' sometimes can save you some money in the long run.............No offense now, just a little wisdom acquired over many years.

Just similar to the stock market situation in 2008.............those that 'sold off' instead of sitting on their holdings and were patience were rewarded with where it is today...........again, "patience" in many situations, is the 'key' to success................Even works in "Marriages"!......

Think I'll take a Nap now................Can't wait for 'flame throwers' to get cranked-up!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Yep, even though I'm 73 and remember buying 50 count boxes of standard velocity Remington .22 LR at 39 cents each, the current prices aren't too out of line inflation-wise.

But it never ceases to amaze me to see the panic buyers get in a lather to rush out & load up when the prices shoot up prior to an election.

Old 07-14-2018, 10:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
The reason for the scramble for the ammo was political. Folks weren't sure that the US was going to survive and civil war break out. The forums were packed with these guys speculating doom and gloom. Consequently, people were buying anything they could in ammo with 22 being the pick of the litter. The "survivalist" choice of cartridge since you can carry so much of it. I already had more than I needed when it hit so I wasn't in on the scramble. I haven't bought any since either. I'll probably be looking for some sub sonic for target shooting by the end of the year but if it's high priced, I won't have it. If you have an older 22 rifle/pistol, you need to try sub sonic. The oldies like it a little slower than the hyper velocity stuff. It will run thru most any semi auto too. My bench 22 loves it over Eley Black label.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:54 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
I inherited my dad's ammo locker when he passed. He had over 17,000 rounds of CCI and Remington, most of them purchased from K-Mart. The CCI still have the sticker that shows $1.79 for a 100-round plastic box.

I still haven't used up all his old stuff.

Have to admit that I do purchase a box or two of shorts whenever I visit Black Sheep or Cabelas. Shorts have always been more difficult to find, in good times and bad. Seem to be a good supply these days.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-16-2018, 01:31 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I inherited my dad's ammo locker when he passed. He had over 17,000 rounds of CCI and Remington, most of them purchased from K-Mart. The CCI still have the sticker that shows $1.79 for a 100-round plastic box.

I still haven't used up all his old stuff.

Have to admit that I do purchase a box or two of shorts whenever I visit Black Sheep or Cabelas. Shorts have always been more difficult to find, in good times and bad. Seem to be a good supply these days.

Interesting that you find this to be true. When the worst of the shortage was going on around here (and I am not that far away from you), I could find Shorts, but not Long Rifle. Not a lot of Shorts, but could buy a few boxes.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:09 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Ah! At that time I lived in a state that was, and still is, doing everything possible to regulate/restrict private ownership of our "toys". Things are a lot different where I now live.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 07-17-2018, 01:57 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
^^^^ And that is why a lot of folks couldn't find any .22 at Wallyworld.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM

So how many of you are reloading their 22 ammo? It's not rocket science and if you are already casting bullets, all you need is the priming materials, mold, and die. So for about 150 bucks, you can reload your own and not sweat any shortages next time.
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...ollections/all

FWIW, you can get roughly 30,000 rounds out of a pound of common pistol powder like Unique. Using Clays powder, you can send a 38gr bullet down range at over 1700'ps out of a 22LR or use another powder and have velocity below 1000'ps. The priming they have available now is perfectly safe to use. It's no longer nitro based. While obviously labor intensive by comparison, if you think the Guberment is gonna get ya, you can pack everything needed in a very small space and not much money invested.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:39 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
So how many of you are reloading their 22 ammo? It's not rocket science and if you are already casting bullets, all you need is the priming materials, mold, and die. So for about 150 bucks, you can reload your own and not sweat any shortages next time.
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...ollections/all

FWIW, you can get roughly 30,000 rounds out of a pound of common pistol powder like Unique. Using Clays powder, you can send a 38gr bullet down range at over 1700'ps out of a 22LR or use another powder and have velocity below 1000'ps. The priming they have available now is perfectly safe to use. It's no longer nitro based. While obviously labor intensive by comparison, if you think the Guberment is gonna get ya, you can pack everything needed in a very small space and not much money invested.

Have you tried this? I have been looking at it, wondering about the primer - is it non-corrosive?

Old 07-17-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
is it non-corrosive?
No, it will be slightly corrosive. It won't be as bad as mercury but you'll need to clean after using within probably 2-3 days. The formulation is Antimony Trisulphide, ground glass as a dispersant, sulfur, and potassium chloride.The sulfur will leave a coating in the barrel that is hydroscopic. Thr potassium chloride will leave a salt after combustion. Depending on how many rounds you run thru the gun determines how corrosive it is. A couple of hundred rounds I wouln't worry about. All things considered though, if you can't buy the ammo, this is a great alternative. You can use the old timers trick of carrying a can of lube with you and give it a coat so you can clean when you have time. That's what the old muzzle loaders used to keep the barrels frm rot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting