Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:18 AM

1,129 posts, read 470,245 times

Advertisements

I am a non resident with property in Florida and looking for a little advice

I spend 4 to 5 months a year at my home in a nice area with low crime but in the last few years there have been instances of armed home invasions not that far away and my wife reads the news and does worry.

We have been to many markets where handguns are openly for sale and have spoken about the possibility of having a gun for our own safety if the worst happens, our house has cameras around the exterior and thankfully nothing happens but if it was to, we would know before anyone could get in so having a deterrent in this situation is worth exploring.

I know you have to be a US citizen to buy and own a gun legally but have also read that there are exceptions to this like obtaining a hunting licence which would then allow you to buy a gun and keep it at you residence.

I am really looking for advice from anyone with experience of this first hand ?

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 09:50 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Good idea is to hit up google for the Florida law enforcement laws. If someone here tells you something, you're the one held accountable if it's wrong. Not some guy posting on a web site from another state. If that doesn't work, call the local police dept and just ask.

I did a quick google search, and this looks like an official site. I believe it says you have to be a resident to purchase a handgun, but it seems that you can purchase a long gun if you're a US citizen. If you're a legal non-citizen living here, you can apparently still purchase one with the proper ID. Again...it's a bit confusing and if it were me I'd call them to simply ask.

FDLE - FAQs2

Old 07-27-2018, 10:49 AM

Thanks, we have discussed calling into the police Dept for a chat when we are back over.

We are not US citizens which is why I was asking if anyone had first hand knowledge of anyone owning a gun on this basis particulary in Florida with such a large number of non US citizens owning a vacation home.

Don't worry we will take all advice as that and will make sure 100% whatever we do is perfectly legal, just interested to see if anyone is in my situation.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Thanks, we have discussed calling into the police Dept for a chat when we are back over.

We are not US citizens which is why I was asking if anyone had first hand knowledge of anyone owning a gun on this basis particulary in Florida with such a large number of non US citizens owning a vacation home.

Don't worry we will take all advice as that and will make sure 100% whatever we do is perfectly legal, just interested to see if anyone is in my situation.
Ahh...didn't catch the "Non US" part of the subject line at first--was thinking you were from another state. Didn't occur to me you weren't in the US now. In any event, it looks possible, but you'd really better check with the authorities.

Just curious...if you're in Europe...do you use guns there? Do you have experience with them? Might not e a bad idea to seek out some training. If you don't have a friend to take you to the range, I'd recommend finding a self-defense instructor, or someone to give at least some basic instruction.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:45 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Ahh...didn't catch the "Non US" part of the subject line at first--was thinking you were from another state. Didn't occur to me you weren't in the US now. In any event, it looks possible, but you'd really better check with the authorities.

Just curious...if you're in Europe...do you use guns there? Do you have experience with them? Might not e a bad idea to seek out some training. If you don't have a friend to take you to the range, I'd recommend finding a self-defense instructor, or someone to give at least some basic instruction.

Indeed. One is no more "armed" because they possess a firearm, than they are a "musician" because they possess a violin. Particularly for handguns, there is a lot more to using them effectively, than a person with little or no experience would think.

I agree, too, that a call to the local Sheriff, or PD, ought to be a good starting point to find out what exactly you need to do, to be a legal gun owner. I think most states do have provisions for non-citizens to own guns, but I don't know the particulars of Florida.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:55 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,420,226 times
There are also state firearm advocate groups, usually headed up by lawyers and leo/ex-leo people. I'm not a FL resident, have no affiliation, just posting a few links that came up when I searched:

https://floridagunrights.org/

SACFLA | 2nd Amendment Coalition of Florida

While these are more of a "US citizens" type thing for defending the Constitution, they tend to be well versed in all aspects of firearm law. And, as always, it doesn't matter if you're "technically right" when confronted with law enforcement, follow their lead. I also highly recommend taking some sort of class each and every time you come to FL (if allowed to own while in FL, I assume you will be able), but I'm an NRA/USAS certified coach, so I'm biased...

Old 07-27-2018, 03:58 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,214,145 times
I would agree in contacting a lawyer in your state hear in the USA.

But even if you are able to buy a gun in the USA; I don't think you would be able to take that same gun to France or Spain. That would be even a bigger legal hurdle; it could also mean when you are out of the country for extended period's of time; not sure what would happen with your firearm, as to where it should be stored.

Lawyers would be able to answer those questions better than the Local Law Enforcement. Under ideal circumstances they should both be equal in their knowledge, but as much as I would hate to admit this, I would have to give the edge to the lawyer over the police officer as to knowledge of the law.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:20 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
bear spray is much better than a gun.

I have guns for hunting. I carry bear spray for personal protection, both from bears and humans.

Old 07-28-2018, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I live in Spain and you can’t own an handgun here and I have no intention of trying to bring one here, know body else has guns so theres no need

I will speak with the police when I am back and if there is a legal way to own a gun for protection, then take some lessons at a gun club or range before buying, if we do go down there this route the gun would be locked in a gun safe at all times and only be bought out on that million to one chance we are alerted by our cameras to someone outside our home trying to get in, I’m pretty level headed being an ex firefighter and do not see a gun as a toy and would not put anyone at risk by owning one.

Interesting comment about the bear spray, we have also seen similar sprays for sale but would expect you would need to be pretty close up for that to be effective so dismissed this ?

Old 07-28-2018, 06:27 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,254,506 times
I used to own a gun and pawn store in Florida, the law back then and apparently now is that a nonimmigrant alien who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, could posses a hunting weapon for hunting with a hunting license, something to check into, federal law says they can. A pump shotgun with a long enough barrel to be considered a hunting weapon would be a good one to keep for home defense, some shotguns come with interchangeable barrels so you could put a shorter barrel on for home defense and the longer barrel for hunting.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-...immigrant-visa

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-own-a-gu...-on-study-visa

One of the problems I see is where do you store the firearm while you are not vacationing in Florida so that it does not fall into the wrong hands and also making sure you have a valid hunting license at all times while in possession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting