U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 07:00 PM

65 posts, read 40,147 times

Advertisements

Does the shape of the pellet matters for imparting energy and accuracy with guns that shoot less than 500 fps?

I know that for air guns around 1000 fps, accuracy changes a lot with higher speeds. For imparting energy, the flat headed pellets destroy the targets the most at high speeds.

But does the pellet shape really matter at around 300 to 500 fps with close range shots?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 07:06 PM

13,556 posts, read 43,307,255 times
For a close range, say 10 to 30 yards, shot, probably a flat point or "wadcutter" pellet will work better than a pointed pellet.

300 to 500 FPS for a .177 pellet, or even a .22 pellet, is not a lot of energy, so you are going to be restricted to rather small pests like birds.

You may want to check which shape your particular air rifle shoots best.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:03 AM

5,586 posts, read 12,147,848 times
x

Last edited by TrapperL; 08-02-2018 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-02-2018, 10:25 AM

5,586 posts, read 12,147,848 times
I've shot a lot of air rifle over the years. I've worn out more air rifles than most people. Any air rifle at 500'ps of velocity using a 10'gr bullet isn't going to kill a black bird if you hold the barrel against his body. There's only 9ft lbs of energy there by my ballistic calculator. At 25 feet you won't do anything but MAYBE knock a few feathers out of him. I've found over the years that using a .177 is pretty much a waste of time for any serious hunting. Respect the game you are shooting, use enough gun for a clean kill. That makes the 22 caliber King of the Hill. And it's no game killer either. My current setup has the scoped 22cal air rifle shooting at 1100'ps with a 10.8gr bullet. Kills on black birds at 15 yards is not 100%. A squirrel at 50 ft is not going to kill the squirrel. It'll knock the crap out of him but no kill. Energy is only 22'lbs.

So I'm going to ask, why do you think your pellet rifle only shoots 500 'ps? That's mighty weak. I have .177 pellet pistols that shoot 800'ps with lead bullets. They are great for plinking but worthless to try to kill a black birds at 15 feet. None of them will knock the feathers out of one. But they do make a cracking sound that the birds don't like so it's a non-killing "weapon" to get rid of them.

I just looked, are you by chance using a BB gun? A BB gun is around the velocity of 3-500'ps. I'm not aware of any type of projectile other than a round ball for a BB gun.

Old 10-22-2018, 12:06 PM

107 posts, read 18,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I've shot a lot of air rifle over the years. I've worn out more air rifles than most people. Any air rifle at 500'ps of velocity using a 10'gr bullet isn't going to kill a black bird if you hold the barrel against his body. There's only 9ft lbs of energy there by my ballistic calculator. At 25 feet you won't do anything but MAYBE knock a few feathers out of him. I've found over the years that using a .177 is pretty much a waste of time for any serious hunting. Respect the game you are shooting, use enough gun for a clean kill. That makes the 22 caliber King of the Hill. And it's no game killer either. My current setup has the scoped 22cal air rifle shooting at 1100'ps with a 10.8gr bullet. Kills on black birds at 15 yards is not 100%. A squirrel at 50 ft is not going to kill the squirrel. It'll knock the crap out of him but no kill. Energy is only 22'lbs.

So I'm going to ask, why do you think your pellet rifle only shoots 500 'ps? That's mighty weak. I have .177 pellet pistols that shoot 800'ps with lead bullets. They are great for plinking but worthless to try to kill a black birds at 15 feet. None of them will knock the feathers out of one. But they do make a cracking sound that the birds don't like so it's a non-killing "weapon" to get rid of them.

I just looked, are you by chance using a BB gun? A BB gun is around the velocity of 3-500'ps. I'm not aware of any type of projectile other than a round ball for a BB gun.

Well, I have an Umarex Morph 3x co2 powered bb gun. In its longer barrel, carbine set up, it shoots a bb at a 620 fps consistently. It easily blows through a full soda can covered by a one inch thick piece of foam at 15 yards. I certainly do not recommend trying to hunt anything with it, but its not to be underestimated either. I also have a Gamo Bone Collector Bull Whisper pellet rifle that shoots 1100 fps and is extremely accurate. One problem, I cannot keep a scope on it, it destroys every scope I have tried, even expensive scopes designed for use on gas piston pellet rifles. I have had it with this rifle, Do you know of any type of after market open sights I can put on it?

Old 10-26-2018, 09:55 PM

268 posts, read 100,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer10X View Post
Well, I have an Umarex Morph 3x co2 powered bb gun. In its longer barrel, carbine set up, it shoots a bb at a 620 fps consistently. It easily blows through a full soda can covered by a one inch thick piece of foam at 15 yards. I certainly do not recommend trying to hunt anything with it, but its not to be underestimated either. I also have a Gamo Bone Collector Bull Whisper pellet rifle that shoots 1100 fps and is extremely accurate. One problem, I cannot keep a scope on it, it destroys every scope I have tried, even expensive scopes designed for use on gas piston pellet rifles. I have had it with this rifle, Do you know of any type of after market open sights I can put on it?
You need to buy a scope that is rated for a spring piston gun. Regular scopes are not designed to withstand the force the recoil because that type of rifle recoils forward. Will tear non rated scopes up fast. I would not put too much importance on velocity. I did when I was new, but foot pounds of energy is more important. A heavier pellet traveling at a bit slower velocity will hit the target harder and do more damage. Buy a PCP air rifle and you can put any type scope on it since they have low recoil, and kick back the same as a firearm.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:08 PM

14,324 posts, read 7,692,079 times
For humane varmint, or small game hunting I would want more than 500 FPS.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:11 AM

107 posts, read 18,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfangle9 View Post
You need to buy a scope that is rated for a spring piston gun. Regular scopes are not designed to withstand the force the recoil because that type of rifle recoils forward. Will tear non rated scopes up fast. I would not put too much importance on velocity. I did when I was new, but foot pounds of energy is more important. A heavier pellet traveling at a bit slower velocity will hit the target harder and do more damage. Buy a PCP air rifle and you can put any type scope on it since they have low recoil, and kick back the same as a firearm.

All the scopes I tried were rated for HP pellet rifles. All broke the reticles after a hundred shots or so. I am not investing any more money in this rifle, unless I can find some after market, open sights to install.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:57 PM

25,173 posts, read 60,471,934 times
We bought a single shot break away spring powered pellet rifle for about $60. Basically you break it in half to **** the spring, load in a pellet and shoot. I cannot remember the numbers, but it is, as, or more powerful, in terms of FPS than most air rifles. The thing has lasted over ten years with continual use and still kills whatever you hit. Even raccoons most of the time. We had also had a number of air guns bought and broken during this same time. They really do not compare to this thing. We use peep sights. We found a scope to be too slow to find the target and aim - by that time they got bored waiting and left. Peep sights work fine.

Old Today, 02:52 PM

315 posts, read 106,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
For humane varmint, or small game hunting I would want more than 500 FPS.
Gamo Whisper, Quiet and deadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting