U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 10:36 PM

4,755 posts, read 8,380,470 times

Advertisements

I installed one of these below in my gun storage room. This could be my bed room walk-in closet, or under the staircase storage room, any rooms I don’t want to have easy assess yet I can get in reasonably fast. It is one more layer of security in case of break in “snatch & grab” drug addicts looking for something valuable. It is also “child-proof” in case you have children at home. It offers more than a small “safe” to store your gun. It turns a room into a “gun room” for storing ammo & guns. In the case of my bedroom walk in closet , I can have fast assess if I hear strange noises in middle of night. I also have my choice of handguns and shotguns.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-...-ACC/100608049
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 11:32 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,139,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
A small bedside lock box is useful if you have children in the house. Other than that, I wouldn't leave one in there while the house is empty. I prefer the GunVault, as it's easy to open by touch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Yeah, it should be pointed out that a handgun/nightstand safes intention is to keep it secure from children, not robbers. If robbery is a concern, for just one handgun, it's probably more effective to just hide it somewhere (hiding doesn't work for kids, they WILL find it) or, if you have other weapons, to get a real safe bolted to the ground. Otherwise a handgun safe just advertises to a robber "please take, weapon inside".

That's why I said you shouldn't leave a pistol in a lockbox while the house is empty. It's for when there are small children in the house overnight. When it's empty, I just leave the GunVault open. That tells any thief there is no point in taking it. When I leave the house, any firearm not on my person is locked up in my gun safe.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:01 AM

799 posts, read 236,133 times
I have 2 of these. I donít like portable because, well, itís portable. These are very heavy, have bolt hole for attaching to fixed surface from the inside and use a Simplex locking mechanism so doesnít rely on batteries.

https://www.ftknox.com/shop/original...cate-included/

Old 09-01-2018, 03:48 PM

5 posts, read 646 times
A lot of these safes or lock boxes can be easily beat. Hide the gun. There are a lot of ways to hid a gun near the bed.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:59 AM

5,285 posts, read 1,324,609 times
Crazy how a little box costs half of a new gun.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:01 AM

215 posts, read 89,439 times
I spent ~$30 on a 3-digit lock safe from Walmart for my Glock 26. Works great. Downside is that it can be cracked if you have 90 minutes to kill, but I think it gets the job done. It has one of those metal loops that you can hook to your bed to secure it.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:49 PM

5,934 posts, read 8,496,020 times
Avoid the fingerprint-type mechanisms at ALL costs. There are too many situations in which they don't work reliably, and the LAST thing you want to be doing in the middle of the night as someone's breaking down your door is fighting to gain access to a firearm. All the kids are grown and gone, but the collection is fairly extensive, so I have several safes in the house. Even so, there's at least a half-dozen about the house in case I need one in a hurry.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:05 PM

3,419 posts, read 2,814,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Redraven makes a good point. If the intent is to protect it from burglars, don't settle for just a box that locks -- get one that can be bolted to the floor or wall. On the other hand, if your intent is to simply keep it out of the hands of the kids, a cable lock, or a locking cabinet can do the trick.

I carry mine daily, so I just put it in the nightstand. I do need to get a locking safe at some point myself for those times I'm not carrying it, which is rare.
(Minor segue to OP's question):

I enjoy my Liberty Lincoln, which has pretty good fire resistance plus enough room for a couple rifles, a few handguns, and lots of other stuff you don't want ripped off or burned up. "Cost effective," not really, unless over a 15 year horizon in the same location.

I keep a carry gun w/Fenix flashlight handy each night and if needed would try and shoot my way to the safe. Hope it doesn't come to that, and fortunately I don't have *that* dedicated enemies...I don't think. Not ideal, though. Hope it works out for OP if smaller=better.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:40 PM

5,285 posts, read 1,324,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
(Minor segue to OP's question):

I enjoy my Liberty Lincoln, which has pretty good fire resistance plus enough room for a couple rifles, a few handguns, and lots of other stuff you don't want ripped off or burned up. "Cost effective," not really, unless over a 15 year horizon in the same location.

I keep a carry gun w/Fenix flashlight handy each night and if needed would try and shoot my way to the safe. Hope it doesn't come to that, and fortunately I don't have *that* dedicated enemies...I don't think. Not ideal, though. Hope it works out for OP if smaller=better.
Heh...wow, you're in the wrong line of work if you DO have *that* dedicated of enemies. Wow.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:26 AM

195 posts, read 34,490 times
Thanks for the input and feedback, I'll refer back to this thread when I'm closer to making a final purchase decision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting