U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 02:59 PM

195 posts, read 34,907 times

Advertisements

I'm looking mainly for a small / portable safe to keep a loaded Glock 19 in in my nightstand, and these days with the level of technological security and fingerprint recognition I'm just looking for any opinions or advice on what's out there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 04:42 PM

8,989 posts, read 7,079,711 times
I was recently informed that the neighbor down the lock had a break in the other day. He had one of those "safes", but it turned out it wasn't so safe.
The burglar stole the entire safe, with the pistol in it.
I wonder how long it took to open it, when they got it "home"?
As for which is "best", a fire-proof one would be ideal. Which one can you afford?
For me, that is always the first consideration.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:06 PM

5,285 posts, read 1,326,521 times
Redraven makes a good point. If the intent is to protect it from burglars, don't settle for just a box that locks -- get one that can be bolted to the floor or wall. On the other hand, if your intent is to simply keep it out of the hands of the kids, a cable lock, or a locking cabinet can do the trick.

I carry mine daily, so I just put it in the nightstand. I do need to get a locking safe at some point myself for those times I'm not carrying it, which is rare.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:10 PM

352 posts, read 267,786 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C2-UPEQDTo

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-...e-quick-access

https://thegunzone.com/best-nightstand-gun-safe-reviews

https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?C...istol%2520safe

Old 08-30-2018, 06:27 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
I personally use a big old Fort Knox safe for storage, and for overnight I just put the gat on the headboard. Been doing that for years.

Me, I wouldn't want to trust anything with batteries to "dispense" my gun if a break-in wakes me up in the middle of the night.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:11 PM

326 posts, read 88,427 times
I'd avoid fingerprint recognition.

I bought 2 different kinds to store my 686 and both were unreliable... and you certainly don't want a potential life and death situation coming down to a fingerprint lock that might not unlock when you need it to... and I'm someone who hasn't had a problem with Touch ID on my iPhone. It's not my fingerprint. I had this issue with multiple fingers.

In the end I went with a simple keycode safe that I have bolted down to the floor in my closet. My intent isn't really to keep a burglar from taking it... it's more to keep my gun out of the hands out of my autistic teenager. He claims he's terrified of guns but I'm still not going to test that. It's locked up when I'm not at home... and when I am it's in my nightstand.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:33 PM

5,866 posts, read 3,144,350 times
A small bedside lock box is useful if you have children in the house. Other than that, I wouldn't leave one in there while the house is empty. I prefer the GunVault, as it's easy to open by touch.

Old 08-31-2018, 05:29 AM

6,376 posts, read 2,582,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
I'm looking mainly for a small / portable safe to keep a loaded Glock 19 in in my nightstand, and these days with the level of technological security and fingerprint recognition I'm just looking for any opinions or advice on what's out there
You left out the part about kids in the home.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:03 AM

6,376 posts, read 2,582,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
Small safes are an impediment to the homeowner and will simply be stolen with the gun inside if ever discovered by a burgler.
My weapon stays with the clothing I shed before getting into bed. We all have our bedtime habits. No kids
Secondary weapons are scattered in various locations in cleverly disguised spots that would never be found by guests or their children.
All other weapons are in a safe inside a safe-room that wouldn't be discovered by normal criminals.
My wife's pistol is held in place with a super-magnet that keeps it up and out of sight. So many possibilities.
Never had a break-in or adverse encounter. Knock on wood.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:10 AM

11,564 posts, read 17,496,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
A small bedside lock box is useful if you have children in the house. Other than that, I wouldn't leave one in there while the house is empty. I prefer the GunVault, as it's easy to open by touch.
Yeah, it should be pointed out that a handgun/nightstand safes intention is to keep it secure from children, not robbers. If robbery is a concern, for just one handgun, it's probably more effective to just hide it somewhere (hiding doesn't work for kids, they WILL find it) or, if you have other weapons, to get a real safe bolted to the ground. Otherwise a handgun safe just advertises to a robber "please take, weapon inside".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting