U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 01:30 AM

287 posts, read 160,232 times

Advertisements

In the 1990s, I'd visit the gun shows. They did have things worth buying and browsing.

It seems as the years and decades gone by, the shows have vendors pretty much selling junk. Surplus items. Military surplus clothing. Books with information you can easily find by googling.

The guns were overpriced last time I attended, which I believe was three years ago. The guns we buy now are usually cheaper on the internet, even brand-new. One can buy a pistol off a website and have it shipped to a FFL holder, and the pistol is picked up. A few websites including auction gun sites, and ordering guns off a site similar to Amazon sells lower-priced guns and ammo.

Do you still attend gun shows?

I've also noticed some gun shows today require admission fees. Back then, they were free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 04:23 AM

721 posts, read 298,764 times
It's true they sell too much junk and many repetitive weapons. If I see 500 shotguns I would hope to get a bargain or find something I haven't seen before. But the firearm accessories can be found cheap. I don't go unless I go with cash and a specific gun in mind to purchase. I think for an average purchase u can just go to a pawn shop and get the same deal. Gunshows I seen are mostly a parade to see many things under one roof, with an occassional vendor who would work with u on a price. I swear I only care to talk to the individual sellers, not the companies.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:32 AM

806 posts, read 237,501 times
Haven’t been in a long time but the last time we went was with something specific in mind, a used Ruger GP100 .357. There were a couple we checked (I took a bore light with me). The first one must have had a gazillion rounds through it because the throat looked completely eroded. We did finally find a nice one, chamber and barrel looked new, clean cylinder and just clean overall and got a decent price compared to new.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:02 AM

5,285 posts, read 1,326,521 times
Never been to one. To do so, I'd want to have money to spend, and I never seem to have $500 extra in case I want to buy something.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:10 AM

2,808 posts, read 2,235,910 times
I used to go monthly, have not bothered in a long time since there is nothing I want to buy. IMO they are worth going if you seek out an item or want to see and touch the new guns that are on the market after seeing them online.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:30 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,726,556 times
The gun shows here in Las Vegas charge about $14 to enter and usually $5 to park. So between my wife and I, we're into the show for $33 before we even look at anything. So there has to be something really much cheaper for us to buy there to even make it worthwhile to enter.

Mostly, there are a bunch of sellers with new guns at MSRP or guys with old used guns not worth buying at highly inflated prices. If you know your prices before entering, you will stay away from the gun sellers. What they are hoping for is to find a bunch of newbies who don't know prices and sell to them. That happens frequently enough to keep the dealers happy.

Sometimes we go just to be entertained, to look at stuff with no intention of buying. Occasionally, we've found an unusual piece that was worth taking a second look at and in a rare moment, have purchased something that we couldn't find anywhere else. Doesn't happen often.

What we do look for sometimes is unusual ammo. For instance, I've got a Savage 99 in 250-3000. Very hard to find ammo locally for it. If I'm buying five boxes or so, it's worth paying the entry fee to get them. Less than that, it's cheaper to find it online and buy that way.

As for the other "stuff", the books, camo gear, lamps made out of steer horns, eyeglass cleaner, massage therapy, etc., I just walk by and ignore it.

Old 09-08-2018, 04:33 PM

5,273 posts, read 8,219,571 times
Not interested in gun shows anymore. I haven't been in 15 years; seemed like it was all overpriced garbage.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:43 PM

5,937 posts, read 8,500,331 times
Go pretty regularly - and I'm actually partners in a gun shop. If nothing else, it's a good chance to see a lot of guns under one roof. And every once in a while, I find something worth bringing home.

There's a reason I'm waiting delivery on a 5th safe right now......

Old 09-09-2018, 09:39 AM

7,824 posts, read 7,816,354 times
Havenít been to a gun show in several years. Donít need to buy any jerky, jewelry, or old books.

Old 09-09-2018, 11:22 AM

4,756 posts, read 8,381,946 times
Gun shows are being replaced by online shopping. Before the internet where information is hard to come by, gun shows is a good way to see everything under one roof and the prices are cheaper than bricks & mortar shops. Not anymore. Between online shops and gun broker sites, itís hard to compete with those prices, even for gun shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or