U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you keep a round in the chamber?
Yes 53 80.30%
No 13 19.70%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,737,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
When you refer to "state laws", to enhance your credibility please give the state and the statute number.
It is easy to say "It is the law!", but if you state Montana Code Annotated 45-3-103 (MCA 45-3-103) your readers can look it up and know exactly what the law is.
AFAIK, The State of Montana has no child protection law. Actually, according to a google search, very few states do.
Last updated November 16, 2017.
Florida law states that any person who stores or leaves a loaded firearm on premises under his or her control, and who knows or reasonably should know that a person under age 16 is likely to gain access to the firearm without the lawful permission of the minor’s parent or person having charge of the minor, or without supervision required by law, must do one of the following:

Keep the firearm in a securely locked box or container;
Keep the firearm in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure; or
Secure the firearm with a trigger lock.1
This requirement does not apply when the adult is carrying the firearm on his or her body or within such close proximity that he or she can retrieve and use the firearm as easily and quickly as if he or she carried it on his or her body.2

However, Florida law only makes the person who fails to store a firearm in this manner criminally liable if a minor gains access to the firearm without the lawful permission of his or her parent or legal guardian and possesses or exhibits it either: 1) in a public place; or 2) in a rude, careless, angry or threatening manner.3

For information regarding the warnings that retail establishments that sell or transfer firearms must post and provide to firearms purchasers regarding the safe storage of firearms, see the Florida Dealer Regulations section.

See our Child Access Prevention policy summary for a comprehensive discussion of this issue.

Child Access Prevention in Florida | Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 05:41 PM

8,987 posts, read 7,076,226 times
"1. Fla. Stat. § 790.174(1). Minor is defined as a person under age 16. Fla. Stat. § 790.174(3). ⤴︎
2. Id. ⤴︎

3. Fla. Stat. § 790.174(2). See also Fla. Stat. § 784.05 (holding an adult culpably negligent for storing or leaving a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a minor, if the minor obtained the firearm and used it to inflict injury or death upon himself or herself or any other person, unless: 1) the firearm was stored or left in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would have believed to be secure, or was securely locked with a trigger lock; 2) the minor obtained the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person; or 3) the injuries resulted from target or sport shooting accidents or hunting accidents). ⤴︎"

It is interesting that the actual statutory reference is only in the fine print footnotes. One could almost infer that they don't want people to know the law, they just want people to take their word for it.
Many states do not have such laws. Montana doesn't, for sure.

Check this out:

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/scorecard/

Florida and Montana both get an "F" in their rankings.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 PM

9,184 posts, read 10,125,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"1. Fla. Stat. § 790.174(1). Minor is defined as a person under age 16. Fla. Stat. § 790.174(3). ⤴︎
2. Id. ⤴︎

3. Fla. Stat. § 790.174(2). See also Fla. Stat. § 784.05 (holding an adult culpably negligent for storing or leaving a loaded firearm within the reach or easy access of a minor, if the minor obtained the firearm and used it to inflict injury or death upon himself or herself or any other person, unless: 1) the firearm was stored or left in a securely locked box or container or in a location which a reasonable person would have believed to be secure, or was securely locked with a trigger lock; 2) the minor obtained the firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person; or 3) the injuries resulted from target or sport shooting accidents or hunting accidents). ⤴︎"

It is interesting that the actual statutory reference is only in the fine print footnotes. One could almost infer that they don't want people to know the law, they just want people to take their word for it.
Many states do not have such laws. Montana doesn't, for sure.

Check this out:

Gun Law Scorecard

Florida and Montana both get an "F" in their rankings.
I wonder how many children will die because they can't get to a gun to defend themselves. Many people much younger than sixteen have successfully defended themselves with guns.

Old 09-13-2018, 03:17 PM

585 posts, read 1,746,340 times
We carry and keep several handguns/long guns in different locations. All have a cartridge in the chamber.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:48 PM

51,046 posts, read 29,133,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
What pistol do you use and do you believe in keeping a round in the chamber, whether by carrying or keeping at home, or do you rack the slide before using the pistol?
I carry mostly a Ruger .40 S&W, sometimes a Colt 1911A .45 ACP, or a Ruger P-89 9mm. all concealed in a small and tough carry bag on my belt, I do keep a round in the chamber just in case, both of my Rugers have a safety key that can easily be switched to "Fire" very fast upon need. I also keep a full magazine in the weapon I carry, along with an extra magazine that is loaded and I keep it in the same carry belt bag.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:10 AM

7,823 posts, read 7,813,981 times
What, no magnums?

Old 09-14-2018, 06:36 AM

2,317 posts, read 2,098,597 times
Yes.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:42 AM

1,107 posts, read 857,097 times
Best analogy I've heard all week.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:27 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,168,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I carry mostly a Ruger .40 S&W, sometimes a Colt 1911A .45 ACP, or a Ruger P-89 9mm. all concealed in a small and tough carry bag on my belt, I do keep a round in the chamber just in case, both of my Rugers have a safety key that can easily be switched to "Fire" very fast upon need. I also keep a full magazine in the weapon I carry, along with an extra magazine that is loaded and I keep it in the same carry belt bag.
Mike:.......
Would you please enlighten me regarding the "safety key" you reference in your post.
Is it a device that is only suitable for use with Rugers?, ....or is it applicable for use with: ..........
.....a Walther P99 AS.

I have this model Walther and my daughter (age 63), has shot it several times in the recent past and really likes the way it fits her hand and she is very comfortable shooting it, and has decided that it would be a good choice for her to have as a " night stand" home defense gun. They live out in the county with no immeadiate neighbors and they do not have a dog.

Her husband does a little bit of traveling on occasion, job related, and she likes the idea of having a home defense firearm next to her bed when she is alone.
Her husband is not a hunter or firearms person at all,
where as my daughter grew up in our house with all kinds of firearms.........She (in her younger years before marriage), on occasion would join me at the shooting range.......so she is familiar with hand guns in particular.
The only aspect of the Walther P99 AS, that she doesn't like, is that it doesn't have an external 'safety'.

Thus my question re the "safety key" you mention.
Thanks for your opinion and information.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 PM

7,646 posts, read 5,402,223 times
An empty chamber is useless.

My EDC is a G19 Gen 4 (also sits next to bed)
Home defense G22 Gen 4 next to my TV chair
MrsMs Sig P238 next to stove
Her EDC is a G43

All loaded with one in chamber and several spare mags with each
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or