Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you keep a round in the chamber?
Yes 66 76.74%
No 20 23.26%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:07 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,339,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Glock 19 9MM, and I sometimes pocket carry a Ruger LCP II .380. And yes--I rarely take the round out of the chamber in either. Only to clean them. If I ever had to draw it and fire, I really don't need to be spending the time to chamber one.
It worked for Barney Fife, but doesn't work for us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 11:42 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
It worked for Barney Fife, but doesn't work for us
Reread the post.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:18 AM

3,867 posts, read 4,078,269 times
All my handguns that are in my current carry rotation, mostly Glock 19 and XDs .45......along with the M&P 9 stay chambered. AR is not, and the shotty stays in "cruiser" mode. No that doesn't mean my shotty roams the streets looking for action, shells in the tube, not chambered and safety off.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:33 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,955 times
I only carried for about 2 1/2 years for a temporary job, a G19 with RMR dual illuminated sight in a 5.11/BladeTech level 2 holster. We were all required to have a round in the chamber, regardless of type of firearm. If I could carry concealed in this state, I would also always have a round in the chamber.

For the night stand, I have the pistol with the mag partially inserted, no round in the chamber. I sleep hard and wake up slow and want to make sure I’m alert enough to know what I’m doing so it’s a little “test”. Yes, I know the risks.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:00 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,860,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Mike:.......
Would you please enlighten me regarding the "safety key" you reference in your post.
Is it a device that is only suitable for use with Rugers?, ....or is it applicable for use with: ..........
.....a Walther P99 AS.

I have this model Walther and my daughter (age 63), has shot it several times in the recent past and really likes the way it fits her hand and she is very comfortable shooting it, and has decided that it would be a good choice for her to have as a " night stand" home defense gun. They live out in the county with no immeadiate neighbors and they do not have a dog.

Her husband does a little bit of traveling on occasion, job related, and she likes the idea of having a home defense firearm next to her bed when she is alone.
Her husband is not a hunter or firearms person at all,
where as my daughter grew up in our house with all kinds of firearms.........She (in her younger years before marriage), on occasion would join me at the shooting range.......so she is familiar with hand guns in particular.
The only aspect of the Walther P99 AS, that she doesn't like, is that it doesn't have an external 'safety'.

Thus my question re the "safety key" you mention.
Thanks for your opinion and information.
Hello - Sorry for the late response, I've been out of town for a few days.

The term "safety key" is one that I came up with, or "external safety", as you referred to it. It's found on the Ruger P Series pistols, it's not an accessory you can buy and add to any other pistols. Below, I included a photo of the Ruger P-94, it's the item that I circled in the image, and it's accessible from both sides of the weapon. If you want the weapon to be safe, you push it down, and up to fire it.

Other Ruger models have that feature also.

The feature may also be available (in one form or another) on other brands of firearms.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:12 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Duh.

My carry guns are always chambered and ready to go. No safeties either.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-30-2018, 07:58 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Duh.

My carry guns are always chambered and ready to go. No safeties either.

That's why I carry a Glock. One in the chamber, no external safeties and it's as reliable as an AK-47. I've seen/heard enough stories about the SHTF and the intended victim trying to shoot without racking the slide or disengaging the safety. One particular situation sticks out. Victim had a 1911 in a holster, without one in the chamber. Victim and four others were surprised by a gunman, who ordered them into a room and put them face down on the floor. The gunman was very good about keeping his eye on everyone. The victim had surreptitiously removed his 1911 and when the gunman started to look for the victim's wallet, he felt the holster. At that time the victim attempted to chamber a round, but the gunman fired, hitting the victim in one hand. The victim finally managed to rack a round, but because he was wounded, he wasn't able to squeeze the grip safety tightly enough. By the time he finally did so, he had been wounded again, but did manage to return fire and end the threat. At least he didn't have the safety engaged, or he probably would have been dead. If he'd have had a Glock with one in the chamber, the outcome would have been much different.

A fool and his unchambered pistol are soon parted...at the hospital or the morgue.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 09-30-2018 at 08:07 PM..

Old 10-01-2018, 06:41 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times
When it comes to SHTF single actions is a no go unless it's cocked and locked. I prefer double action with a round in the pipe.

I carry a Beretta PX4 which is DA/SA so the first squeeze of the trigger is double action and the follow up is single action. This allows for very fast follow ups. It's loaded with Fenix FXP 9mm +P (Gold Dot in ShellShock casings). Excellent ammo for the money.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:47 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
When it comes to SHTF single actions is a no go unless it's cocked and locked. I prefer double action with a round in the pipe.

I carry a Beretta PX4 which is DA/SA so the first squeeze of the trigger is double action and the follow up is single action. This allows for very fast follow ups. It's loaded with Fenix FXP 9mm +P (Gold Dot in ShellShock casings). Excellent ammo for the money.
The best self-defense gun is the gun you have with you when you need it.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:28 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The best self-defense gun is the gun you have with you when you need it.
That's just generalization. In other words... horse s**t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting