Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 02:24 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

I honestly don't know if it's happening or just my personal perception but going to the range these days feels an awful lot like it did back in the '90's for me. I guess "fudds" are the slang of the day but it seems like "they" are a growing majority these days...just like they were when I was a kid.

I'll make no excuses... my interest in guns has always centered on military weaponry since I started shooting in the early 90's and it feels like I've been around long enough to see the trend come full circle.

Am I right or wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 03:02 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
I don't know about where you are, but here in Eastern WA, shoot whatever you want, AK, AR, Garand, whatever. You might get some reproachful looks if you are shooting "full house" .50 BMG rounds in a rifle with a muzzle brake or comp - but just because you are making way too much noise.

Me, personally, the last thing I am going to do is look down my nose at what another guy is shooting. If the shooter follows Uncle Jeff's 4 Rules, and in general acts like they know what they are doing, I have no beef with them.

I personally have some nice, valuable old guns, but I see no point in being a snob. [mod cut]

Last edited by volosong; 01-02-2019 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: no politics

Old 01-02-2019, 04:52 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,587 times
Hopefully this can stay in the Guns and Hunting section instead of being moved to the Politics and other Controversy section.

I have never looked down on what someone is shooting. People buy guns for a variety of reasons, price is always a consideration, and what works for me, may not work for you. I have large hands so I tend to gravitate towards the larger guns in the first place.

But from what I can gather at the local gun store, the AR-15 style is still very popular. With prices ranging from $600 - $3000.

One of the guns that I own is the Metro Arms "The American Classic II", brand new it is around $800, this is one of the smoothest shooting 1911's that I have ever shot. It will keep pace with 1911's that are at least twice it's price tag. It is not as good a say a NightHawk Custom, but it is 1/4 of the price of a NightHawk Custom.

Many would look down on the Metro Arms because it is made in the Philippines. I think it is well made, and more than a reasonable 1911 for $800 or less, especially if you get one used.

I can speak from experience with the Metro Arms, I have run it side by side high end Kimber's, a Springfield Armory TRP, and my NightHawk Custom, it is not quite as good as the TRP or Nighthawk customer, but then again it is half of the price of a TRP and as I said 1/4 of the price of a NightHawk Custom. So it is a good overall combat type of 1911. You know you can hit the target with it. And when it comes down to it, that is all that matters.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:20 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
"Am I right or wrong?"
probably right. there is pushback, as you call it, to the military "style" RIFLES.
i have not noticed any pushback against the pistols. basically, if it is black
with a big magazine, some shooters at our range will move to another
lane to get further away. this is not frequent at all, but i have seen it.
it might be the bullseye shooter (firing once per 10 minutes) is put off
by the emptying of a 30-round magazine in 10 seconds. we had to
build a new .22LR range for the the children, since their mothers did
not like to be beside (or close to) tactical reloads while their
children are just learning the basics.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:34 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,726,169 times
Personally I've seen nothing but smiling faces when I haul out my small collection to the range...most guys run ar's or some AK variant anyhow and If I take the K98 or G43 I get lots a smiles and good comments or questions depending on the age of the person.... Funny but it seems the younger guys recognize the scoped G43 faster then some of the oldsters....Benefits of video games I guess.....

Old 01-02-2019, 07:24 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
No pushback here.

I've even carried mine to range outside the bag

No one has said a thing

Old 01-02-2019, 09:38 PM

603 posts, read 442,588 times
I haven’t noticed it if anything the opposite... there is certainly a pushback against people using super loud and concussive brakes at local ranges...but that’s more a common courtesy thing.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:10 AM

19,041 posts, read 13,959,968 times
I'm from NYC where very few people can legally own ARs, AKs, etc. The closest thing to a "black rifle" that most can legally own is the ARES SCR.

So often, I do get some pushback at my range. Most of the regulars known me by now and don't care since I always offer to let them shoot mine. Most have over the years. Also there is a lot of "look the other way" amongst gun owners here because we are so under attack constantly we only have each other to support ourselves.

We did have one range officer who caused a lot of problems for a while until the issue was brought up at a monthly meeting and the club president laid down the law: whatever is legal for that particular person is legal at our range, period.

Unfortunately, no one can load more than 5 rounds in a rifle magazine regardless. That's a range policy which mirrors NYC's ridiculous law.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-03-2019, 10:16 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I haven't been to the range in many years but I remember that most of the members that enjoyed their military styled rifles were veterans or law enforcement officers that wanted to keep up with their shooting skills.

Nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:27 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
The last few range visits that got me thinking about this were with "high end" guns so maybe the sneers were more about dissing the fool who was parted from his money (me ) but I don't rapid fire or play "tacticool" otherwise.

I don't know... could just be me but I've gotta wonder if the continuous B.S. media blitz against so called "assault weapons" is taking it's toll even within the wider gun community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting