U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 12:23 PM

229 posts, read 90,773 times

Advertisements

Anyone use the new colt cobra? Was thinking about getting one as my first revolver, but now I'm wondering if a cheaper ruger or SW would be a better choice for the money. I almost want to own one just for the sake of its place in US history (Ruby's gun) and noir.

There's a new cobra variant just out too, featuring a bobbed hammer. But it's way too much for me.

Can anyone compare colt vs its competitors? Is the price worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 02:16 PM

2,756 posts, read 1,741,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Anyone use the new colt cobra? Was thinking about getting one as my first revolver, but now I'm wondering if a cheaper ruger or SW would be a better choice for the money. I almost want to own one just for the sake of its place in US history (Ruby's gun) and noir.

There's a new cobra variant just out too, featuring a bobbed hammer. But it's way too much for me.

I think the original Cobra was the first light weight 2 inch .38 special.
Hard to measure this against other light weights because it is a 6 shot revolver and most of the others are 5.
I had a S&W model #36 that I sold to get the Cobra for the extra round and light weight. This was in the days when small guns were mostly revolvers.
In your case the value would be in the features you want to be carrying.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:09 AM

7,838 posts, read 7,823,523 times
Find a Ruger Six Series revolver in good shape, or go with an SP101.... or GP100.
If not, a clean S&W k frame.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:13 PM

18,127 posts, read 16,461,608 times
Taurus 856 at half the price. Or a Charter Arms 44 special if you want notoriety( Son Of Sam). Maybe look at the Kimber K6s for a similar price point and size.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:27 PM

783 posts, read 1,948,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
.......... There's a new cobra variant just out too, featuring a bobbed hammer. But it's way too much for me.

The answer to your question really depends on the use you wish to put the handgun to.

The Colt series (used Cobra) is a fine revolver, a bit larger than the five shot S&W J-frame models. The triggers are very different between the two models of handgun, which may or may not be important for you.

If the handgun is for pocket carry, the a hammerless J-frame would be best (S&W 642). Less chance to snag on the pocket as it's being withdrawn for use.

Again, depending on final use, you'd likely be best off searching for a used revolver. Prices vary with condition and model, so I can't add much there.

Another model you might consider is the Ruger LCR. Weighs about 15 ounces, wonderful trigger, and a reliable handgun for a reasonable cost.

Good luck!

Rich

Old Today, 07:15 PM

643 posts, read 232,921 times
three things about previous mentioned revolvers....

1. i had a Cobra but sold it (ridiculous money for snake guns). it was good, but too big for concealed carry for me.
2. my wife carries a Charter .44 special. it was her Daddy's gun, so it is going nowhere.
3. i carry a 642 no lock. yes, my wife carries a bigger gun than me. bought a new holster for the 642 since old one gave out.

Old Today, 09:01 PM

4,758 posts, read 8,387,504 times
I carry the S&W 638, a j frame with shrouded hammer. It won’t snag on clothes but gives me a single action capability on those times I want it. I have Alien Gear IWB holster with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting