U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 07:31 PM

8,055 posts, read 8,075,103 times

Advertisements

You might want to consider a Ruger LCR revolver. Quite a few variations & calibers in a lightweight package with with a nice trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 03:10 PM

13,698 posts, read 43,781,800 times
You know, OP, if you are otherwise satisfied with the Bearcat, maybe you just want a better holster for it?

If you want a centerfire, any of the S&W or Ruger gats mentioned already would work fine. I would note that first model Ruger LCR in 38 Special are usually available for good prices used. It is just 5 shots though.

If you are thinking anti-snake duty, you can "Dutch" load with a shot cartridge to come up first on any of these revolvers, including the Bearcat. CCI makes shot shells for .22 lr, for 9mm, for .38 Special (can use in .357 as well), and 45ACP.

Old 10-05-2018, 12:41 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,156,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
CCI makes shot shells for .22 lr, for 9mm, for .38 Special (can use in .357 as well), and 45ACP.
They also make shot shells in a .45 long colt caliber.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 10-05-2018, 04:27 PM

9,410 posts, read 10,529,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
They also make shot shells in a .45 long colt caliber.
There is also the Taurus Circuit Judge which is an alloy frame gun, but it's big and has mean recoil with a .410 shell. Taurus also made or makes a large frame revolver with a 2" bbl. in .45 Colt and .44 special.

Old 10-05-2018, 09:58 PM

4,815 posts, read 8,561,259 times
Do we know if the OP wants a .22LR revolver or just a revolver?

Old 10-06-2018, 02:12 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,375,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
"I love my .22 bearcat but I want a smaller/shorter barrel revolver..."

Close enough.
You first!!!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I (I live the the country and there could be rattlers, coyotes, and (very rarely) cougars). .

Happy got it right the first time.

...although I love my 317!

Old 01-31-2019, 10:56 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,390,399 times
If you want smaller and lighter, and since you already shoot a single action .22, the ultimate tiny revolver would be a North American Arms mini-revolver. You can get some models which are convertible between .22LR and .22 magnum, if you like noise. And if your problems can be solved with only 5 shots.

The above sensible suggestions for a S&W 43c or a Ruger LCR or LCRx involve larger guns which are more shootable, yet still pocket-sized.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:29 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,830,519 times
If you are really thinking about large animals, one might question a Bearcat.

The two guns that come to mind are the J frames (of various configurations) and the LCRs.

For a little more power than a 22 LR, your choices are:

22 Mag

Various 32s, from SW 32 Long,32 HR mag and 327 mag. The last is no slouch. However, for small gun, you are pretty limited to an LCR nowadays. There are older SWs around but expensive.

38/357 guns.

9 mm revolvers - LCR primarily.

Downsides - the smaller guns are not the easiest to shoot and the powerful rounds are quite a handful. I would recommend if you go that route, you need to train and practice with them. You need to see if you can handle the more powerful rounds.

Yes, people have used them successfully without training in point and pray mode, but you are better off knowning what you are doing.

Shrouded hammer guns are fine for pocket carry. If carry is belt oriented, then there are models with hammers and in various materials and weight. More weight helps with the more powerful guns.

Don't trust gun store 'experts' - read. If you want tips on smaller guns, Lucky Gunner and Claude Werner (google them) have a wealth of info on running the small ones.

The NAAs are bugs and not really for primaries.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:14 PM

4,377 posts, read 4,156,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
If you want smaller and lighter, and since you already shoot a single action .22, the ultimate tiny revolver would be a North American Arms mini-revolver...
A lady here in our 55+ community "gave away" her semi-auto mouse gun because she didn't have the hand strength to rack the slide. For hiking with her mutt solo, she wants a self-defense gun. She really needs a revolver, and wants a small, lightweight, pocket one. I've been looking at the NAA revolvers the past couple days with the intent of recommending one to her.

I decided that this is not the gun for her. I have no problem with only five shots or being single action. What scares me is the "safety" mechanism. While loaded, you have to half clock the hammer, move the cylinder to a notch between two rounds, then lower the hammer into the notch. I can even now see her 'fumble fingers' slipping and letting the hammer drop on a live round. For someone knowledgeable and experienced, no problem. Her? No way! I'm even reluctant to have one myself and trust that my finger won't slip one day and shoot off a round.

Too many people don't know how to lightly drop a hammer on a single action revolver without it getting away from them. I don't trust her to be able to do so.

p.s. the word "clock" substituted for the action verb used when manually moving the hammer on a revolver, actual four-letter word is censored.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 02-04-2019, 02:00 AM

6,118 posts, read 8,761,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
A lady here in our 55+ community "gave away" her semi-auto mouse gun because she didn't have the hand strength to rack the slide. For hiking with her mutt solo, she wants a self-defense gun.
Take a look at the Baretta TomCat (.32) or BearCat (.380). Both are tip-up models, so there's no requirement to rack a slide to load a round in the chamber, yet it's got a bit more punch than a .22. My wife has one of each. She can rack a .45 just fine, but the smaller guns have a smaller slide, which when coupled with the stronger spring needed because of the short throw of the slide, makes it almost impossible for her to operate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or