U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:09 PM

557 posts, read 601,970 times

Advertisements

My Beretta 21A Bobcat is small reliable and mine is pretty quiet and fits in my pocket quite easy. But I do love my old Bearcat revolver.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 09:32 AM

8,055 posts, read 8,075,103 times
As far as the NAA Mini 5 shot goes, if you don’t trust the safety notches, then just carry it with four rounds. Better than nuthin’.
Don’t leave out the NAA Guardian .380. Or the Ruger LC380.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 AM

15,001 posts, read 8,025,482 times
I sold all of my revolvers except my single action, USFA SAA in .45 Colt. For hikes, etc, I carry a semi auto 9MM, but also on occasion a .22LR Ruger, MKII era 22/45 with a four inch barrel. It is compact, and relatively light and easy to carry. Very accurate, and reliable.

Old 02-15-2019, 01:34 PM

814 posts, read 1,767,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I love my .22 bearcat but I want a smaller/shorter barrel revolver that would fit in a pocket for when I'm walking the dog (I live the the country and there could be rattlers, coyotes, and (very rarely) cougars). I need something that fits my small hand.

I bought a used S&W 60 for my daughter but never gave it to her. She wouldn't perform the necessary training, so I wouldn't transfer the gun to her.

It's a remarkably accurate little gun. .357 mag/.38 Spl caliber, 2" barrel. We have shot it at ranges over 100 yards and it's more than accurate enough there.

For snakes, you can buy shot cartridges. For coyotes, 125 gr. +P .38's. For cougars, 158 gr. +P or 125 gr. .357's. You can put some of each in the cylinder but you'll need a second or two to get the right ammo under the hammer, or carry a speed loader with the ammo of your choice.

I personally would not choose this gun to take on a cougar but if it's all you have, it's better than nothing.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:10 PM

4,815 posts, read 8,561,259 times
I am a fan of S&W J-frame. I would’ve gotten a M60 if it wasn’t so darn expensive. Instead I opted for a Taurus J frame 357 magnum but wish I’d spend the money to get a S&W. The Taurus trigger was not as smooth as S&W and the cylinder release is a little tight. Other than that it’s a fine pistol for the money.

I also have a S&W 638, an alloy frame.38+P but my wife complained the kick was a little sharp so I think the steel J-frame M60 would be perfect for her.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:34 PM

4,815 posts, read 8,561,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation CJ4 View Post
I know I'm going to get tagged for saying this, but I don't approve of revolver technology for street level self-defense purposes in this day and age - especially where there are good semi-auto platform options available. At the same time, this always comes with the disclaimer that anyone using a firearms for self-defense must always do what they feel is appropriate for them and no one else.

Personally, I just can't see it - unless there were no other viable (better) options. Oh, gwad. I feel the heat building up on the back of my post already. Flame suit fully adorned.
OK flamethrower coming

Not really. Thereís a lot of good things to be said about semi-auto. Mainly capacity, ease of concealed carry, faster reload, etc. But it does require MORE training in handling a semiauto, how to clear jams in a fight, etc.

Just speaking for my wife and majority of women iíve Spoken to, they donít like semiautomatic. Not sure the reason but I suspect they donít like the idea the slide moves toward them and ejecting spent casings toward them.

Revolvers are inherently MORE intuitive to understand and handle, intrinsically more reliable. The down side is bulky cylinder and a longer time to reload. But its grip naturally fit your hand like a glove. As to limited capacity of 5~6 rounds, statistics show majority of gun fights finished with 3.5 rounds fired. Not counting unreported ďpotentialĒ gun fights avoided by pointing the gun at bad guys.

Many people ďimagineĒ gun fight is like a shoot out at the OK Corral and the paranoia of not having enough rounds. Take a look of Semiautomatic designed for pocket carry, they donít carry more than 7-8 rounds so not much more than a revolver capacity.

Finally itís all about what you shoot best. Confidence matters in concealed carry. If youíre comfortable with semiautomatic and thatís what you shoot best in, that what you should carry. But if itís a revolver, then carry a revolver.

I am a revolver guy. I shoot well in both but I choose to carry revolver. It makes sense for me and my lifestyle.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:52 PM

1,310 posts, read 393,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
I love my .22 bearcat but I want a smaller/shorter barrel revolver that would fit in a pocket for when I'm walking the dog (I live the the country and there could be rattlers, coyotes, and (very rarely) cougars). I need something that fits my small hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You might want to consider a Ruger LCR revolver. Quite a few variations & calibers in a lightweight package with with a nice trigger.
X2
I was impressed with the Ruger LCRs we had at the range....very light and, for DAO, a pretty nice trigger.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_LCR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or