U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 04:33 PM

13,456 posts, read 42,961,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
If its not grouping from a lead sled, Id first try a different properly mounted scope. My Tikka grouped horribly (read all over the damn place) and I had a used Weaver Grand Slam on it. I put my old trusty Leupold on it and voila- it grouped. Still not GREAT groups- best I got was 1.5 at 100yds..

If that doesnt work call Browning ASAP. It could be a warranty issue.

This sort of thing can be just loose scope mounting screws. Have seen it a few times. If you have a cheap, no-name scope, the scope itself could be the problem.

Also check bedding screws, if the barreled action is moving around in the stock, it won't shoot consistently.

Consider the shape of the groups - are they more or less round, or are they vertical or horizontal, mostly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 04:42 PM

10,993 posts, read 14,690,971 times
Doesn't matter any longer- I gave up the Tikka. That little piggy is going to market. It was a little too heavy for my tastes.

I did get it to group with a Leaupold, and I'm sure it was the Weaver- I mounted it with a DNZ one piece scope mount, lapped the rings, torqued to spec. A local guy that knows checked the bedding mounts- they spec'd fine. He recommended two additional beds near the rear lug and the front of the stock to reinforce it all- but that's just more $$ spent going through a trail by error to make it work.

The Tikka was long in the throat too.. so I prob. hadn't found the happy load that would work best.

All in all I figured I could throw more $$ at it, or just buy a Browning. I like the 6.5lb weight of the Browning- makes for a nice carry package chasin mulies around.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:50 PM

You know, I have never owned a Tikka, but, from what I read, they are usually good shooters.

Rounds like the 7mm Rem Mag sometimes will shoot say 1.5 inch at 100 but will be under 2 inches at 200. Or so I have read. The idea being that the big long bullet at high velocity does not completely stabilize in the first 100 yards.

Regarding that last, it is my experience that 1" at 100 does not necessarily mean 2" at 200. Sometimes better but usually worse.

That said, from what you posted, that Browning shoots damn well, it's lighter, so go with it I guess.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:56 AM

The gunsmith I spoke to said the Tikka composite stocks are consistently very accurate, and a big part of that is the fact there is literally no deviation from stock to stock to stock. The tolerances are insanely tight. What he has seen is that a number of laminate stocks can have inconsistencies in them, and like a wood stock from Tikka or Saco they can often benefit from some work.

But yup this Browning is a shooter, and it’s definitely a better optioned rifle.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:16 PM

11,604 posts, read 17,597,783 times
Quote:
The gunsmith I spoke to said the Tikka composite stocks are consistently very accurate, and a big part of that is the fact there is literally no deviation from stock to stock to stock. The tolerances are insanely tight. What he has seen is that a number of laminate stocks can have inconsistencies in them, and like a wood stock from Tikka or Saco they can often benefit from some work.

But yup this Browning is a shooter, and it’s definitely a better optioned rifle.
Sometimes you gotta adjust the stock to get the barrel more free floating. Barrel vibration has an impact to accuracy.
Take it apart, make sure it's properly bedded so that the barrel isn't touching the fore-end. The internet might show you a few tricks. In extreme cases you might have to replace the stock or modify it.

Old 10-16-2018, 01:25 PM

3,466 posts, read 2,860,953 times
Quote:
One thing I will add- I also had an opportunity to personally compare the Burris Veracity 5-15 50mm first focal plane scope against the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14 50mm.

To my 51 year old eyes the Leupold was clearly better. The shop owner agreed. We tested them both outside, looking up an object on a hillside (no trees) about 200 and 300 yards away. The Burris was a much darker image, and the FPP reticle is darned near useless unless you are at 9x mag or higher. The Leupold was clear as a bell and the reticle clearly seen at 5:30pm- still ample light. Didn't matter the magnification.

I'd say scopes are one of those things that I really need to 'see' before I'll leap..
That's one thing keeping me from trying long-range shooting: I have no time for mediocre optics. Based on statements in second paragraph above, wondering if that Burris fails at two crucial times of day: dusk and dawn. That would be typical of non-premium optics.

My eyes will be 51 in two weeks, btw.

I have Zeiss binoculars bought 11 years ago that will be with me until the day I pass, they're real spiffy in dodgy light. Glass a Civil War battlefield with those and wonder what Gouverneur K. Warren was thinking as he observed enemy positions from the summit of Little Round Top on Day 2, e.g.!

I have a Zeiss short-range scope not sure what to do with quite yet, a 1.1x5 with illuminated dot: it's FAST for short range, dangerous game and will likely go on a 'Scout' rifle build, for sub-300 yard stuff, also likely at dawn when deer are active near treelines and weird shadowy light. Problem? Kinda spendy!

To buy something of similar power to that Burris, thinking one might wish to go NightForce 3.5-15x50 NXS Tactical Riflescope w/ Illuminated Reticle to do it right. For (cough) a bit under two grand.

Expensive sport, to do 'right' though if the Leupold does similar for half that, in what they call their 'mid range tactical scopes" line, hey: power to you.

Old 10-19-2018, 10:18 PM

Tried some more loads today. Moved bullet seating to .030 off the lands, 68grs H1000 with a 140grn GameKing produced .559” at 100yds.

Sticking with that for a hunting load.

My other loads and bullet seating trials resulted in .644” and .642” at 100yds. Seems whatever it gets fed it spits them out fairly well.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Tried some more loads today. Moved bullet seating to .030 off the lands, 68grs H1000 with a 140grn GameKing produced .559 at 100yds.

Sticking with that for a hunting load.

My other loads and bullet seating trials resulted in .644 and .642 at 100yds. Seems whatever it gets fed it spits them out fairly well.

That ought to be good enough! Latest American Rifleman has an article on the X-Bolt, an interesting gun, from what I read they all tend to be tack drivers. Made by Miroku.

What the heck, enjoy!

Old 10-24-2018, 10:06 PM

Yup- Japanese, lol.

Last Sunday at 200yds - grouped .775” off sandbag rests.

I lightened the trigger when I got home. Gonna roll some 160gr GameKing rounds and see how heavier bullets do...

Old 10-25-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Yup- Japanese, lol.

Last Sunday at 200yds - grouped .775 off sandbag rests.

I lightened the trigger when I got home. Gonna roll some 160gr GameKing rounds and see how heavier bullets do...

Like I posted earlier - 7mm Rem Mag frequently produces more impressive groups at 200 than at 100 yards.

Me, I would try some Nosler Partitions - they probably won't group as well as what you have tried so far, but they have a better terminal effect on game, and from a field position, if you can really shoot with more practical accuracy with a .5 MOA rifle than 1.5 - you are a damn site better shot than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting