U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 10:54 PM

576 posts, read 468,712 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear your game plan for how you approach packing out deer or elk. How you transport to your vehicle and get it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 AM

11,416 posts, read 14,925,260 times
If we're really far from trucks- game never leaves the ground- quarter, debone, bag it, pack it.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:02 PM

5,693 posts, read 1,475,132 times
I hunt public ground, so I use a game cart. Because I recently sold my old 4x4 truck and now drive a little Ford Escape, I bought a $50 cargo carrier that attaches to the trailer hitch on the back.

To get it back to the Escape, I use a game cart. But because I also use a climbing tree stand, there is limited room in the vehicle, so I just purchased a Sherpa game cart converter to convert my Summit Titan SD to a cart. It is basically a set of wheels to attach to my tree stand. Works pretty slick to pull my tree stand into the woods. I haven't had the opportunity to put a deer on it yet, so that'll hopefully come as early as this afternoon.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:07 PM

4,694 posts, read 5,538,318 times
I usually use horses for Elk. Black Bear and Deer I can usually quarter and pack out. May take a couple trips, but I usually don't hunt more than a few miles from the truck when on foot. For trips deep into the back country, it's horses all the way.
Antelope are small enough and you hunt them far enough from the road that I usually just bone them, everything into one game bag and into the pack.

I've started using a plastic tote sled to carry loads in the snow since my hip surgery. Small loads my dog can pull, Larger loads I can handle. Doesn't take much snow to skid a pretty good load. Where I hunt, downfall, brush, narrow trails and mud make a cart pretty useless, but a skid goes right over them, and will work on dry ground too, not as well, but it does work for short hauls.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 AM

754 posts, read 564,239 times
On 15 minute hikes from the stand, I use my deer cart. For those remote spots, like 30-45 minutes deep? Always quarter and pack out the deer. I have an old aluminum pack frame that someone threw out. I simply roll out my tarp, place the bagged quartered parts on the tarp. Close up the tarp best I can, and strap it to the pack frame with ratchet tie downs. Easy hike out.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I usually use horses for Elk. Black Bear and Deer I can usually quarter and pack out. May take a couple trips, but I usually don't hunt more than a few miles from the truck when on foot. For trips deep into the back country, it's horses all the way.
Antelope are small enough and you hunt them far enough from the road that I usually just bone them, everything into one game bag and into the pack.

I've started using a plastic tote sled to carry loads in the snow since my hip surgery. Small loads my dog can pull, Larger loads I can handle. Doesn't take much snow to skid a pretty good load. Where I hunt, downfall, brush, narrow trails and mud make a cart pretty useless, but a skid goes right over them, and will work on dry ground too, not as well, but it does work for short hauls.
An ice fishing sled is really valuable. Last year my friend shot his mulie in a finger ravine that led WAAY down into a coulee. Thank god it dropped in its tracks where it did- we could manhandle him up the finger ravine in about 5 yard increments resting the carcass on sage bush as we went up. Once on top it was in the sled and a 1.5 mile pull to the truck.

Had he gone down into the coulee it would’ve been a debone, bag and haul operation.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
An ice fishing sled is really valuable. Last year my friend shot his mulie in a finger ravine that led WAAY down into a coulee. Thank god it dropped in its tracks where it did- we could manhandle him up the finger ravine in about 5 yard increments resting the carcass on sage bush as we went up. Once on top it was in the sled and a 1.5 mile pull to the truck.

Had he gone down into the coulee it would’ve been a debone, bag and haul operation.
My brother and I shot 2 elk in a ravine one time. They weren't all the way to the bottom which helped, but it still took 2 horses hooked to each to drag them to the top. Once there, the rest of the pull over to the trucks was easy, but it was all those saddle horses could do to get them up that incline.

Last year my brother took an elk that we couldn't get horses down into, lots of deadfall and close packed timber. we had to use a block and tackle to pull it up to where we could hook chains to it and use a tractor to get it the rest of the way out. We still had to cut our way in with chainsaws to get the tractor down close to where we could get with the block and tackle.

A couple years ago I shot a cow elk in tight conditions like that, but it was all steep downhill with snow, so I could move her by myself. I got her to the bottom of the hill and my hunting partner brought a quad runner in, but it couldn't get enough traction to pull her up the other side of the valley, so we cut her in half, loaded her 1/2 at a time on the 4 wheeler, and while he spun, I pushed and we got her out. Ice under the snow, he couldn't get any traction even with the added weight.

Elk are nothing but work!

Old 10-16-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
My brother and I shot 2 elk in a ravine one time. They weren't all the way to the bottom which helped, but it still took 2 horses hooked to each to drag them to the top. Once there, the rest of the pull over to the trucks was easy, but it was all those saddle horses could do to get them up that incline.

Last year my brother took an elk that we couldn't get horses down into, lots of deadfall and close packed timber. we had to use a block and tackle to pull it up to where we could hook chains to it and use a tractor to get it the rest of the way out. We still had to cut our way in with chainsaws to get the tractor down close to where we could get with the block and tackle.

A couple years ago I shot a cow elk in tight conditions like that, but it was all steep downhill with snow, so I could move her by myself. I got her to the bottom of the hill and my hunting partner brought a quad runner in, but it couldn't get enough traction to pull her up the other side of the valley, so we cut her in half, loaded her 1/2 at a time on the 4 wheeler, and while he spun, I pushed and we got her out. Ice under the snow, he couldn't get any traction even with the added weight.

Elk are nothing but work!
This was the drop off. Dude fell just on a little ledge. 5 steps forward and he would’ve been down that coulee..
Attached Thumbnails
Packing out game-6e904599-250b-455f-a994-f404865a7ea9.jpeg  

Last edited by Threerun; 10-16-2018 at 04:06 PM..

Old 10-16-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
This was the drop off. Dude fell just on a little ledge. 5 steps forward and he would’ve been down that coulee..
Nice Mulie Buck!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Nice Mulie Buck!
We had a lot of fun last year. My old neighbor from WV came out with a friend of his, and 4 of us spent 10 days in a 20' RV during that cold snap that hit in November last year. They were a little weather shocked to experience 0deg and 20mph winds, lol.

We all got mulies, and one of the WV guys got a real dandy.

I spent most of time playing 'Camp Cookie'- cooking, cleaning and scouting. 4 guys in a 20' RV- that place got hogged up QUICK, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting