U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 06:55 AM

3,499 posts, read 2,885,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Am I reading that correctly? You carry a 1911 without the safety on?
No. That is crazy talk , but I'm sure there are all kinds who drift through CD forums.

I may not have been clear enough . Using Col. Cooper's nomenclature , I carry my 1911 Condition Three . This is also known as Israeli carry , apparently . Please examine Colonel Cooper's five conditions of carry for 1911's , and if curious: why someone would carry Condition Three and train that way . I am not suggesting or implying it is better or worse than, say, Condition One carry. People write books on the subject and I don't care to bring it up here and now .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 07:00 AM

13,975 posts, read 7,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Yes, it is I. I don't have a computer with me right now, so I can't post my Wheel-O-Berettas. Maybe on Monday.
Love the wheel! Go Flyers!

Previous to my CZ, I carried a Browning Hi Power which is single action only. I still carry it, but not as often. Round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on. Same when I have carried a 1911.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:11 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,442,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
No. That is crazy talk , but I'm sure there are all kinds who drift through CD forums.

I may not have been clear enough . Using Col. Cooper's nomenclature , I carry my 1911 Condition Three . This is also known as Israeli carry , apparently . Please examine Colonel Cooper's five conditions of carry for 1911's , and if curious: why someone would carry Condition Three and train that way . I am not suggesting or implying it is better or worse than, say, Condition One carry. People write books on the subject and I don't care to bring it up here and now .

Crazy talk? No, it's what you said:

Quote:
but note I always carry loaded and unlocked, 1911s to VP9SK,

I'm very familiar with Condition 3, but it's not apparent from your post that you are doing that.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:33 PM

4,779 posts, read 7,596,954 times
Any special suggestions for an everyday carry specifically for a woman? Specifically one whose never had a gun in her hands before? Also, I have a small frame, small boned so, small hands.

Something that is easy to carry, easy to conceal, easy to lock for safety purposes, and easy to shoot.

I will be signing up with my local concealed carry permit class shortly.

Thank you for any suggestions from women here on the board, or perhaps from some guys who have helped their wives or girlfriends select a handgun.

Old 10-20-2018, 03:43 PM

13,975 posts, read 7,550,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Any special suggestions for an everyday carry specifically for a woman? Specifically one whose never had a gun in her hands before? Also, I have a small frame, small boned so, small hands.

Something that is easy to carry, easy to conceal, easy to lock for safety purposes, and easy to shoot.

Thank you for any suggestions from women here on the board, or perhaps from some guys who have helped their wives or girlfriends select a handgun.
This is a great site, written by a woman, for women. It will answer a lot of questions.

Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

That being said, easy to carry, easy to conceal, and easy to shoot are often at odds with each other. Something small, and light will have harsher felt recoil. It often discourages new shooters. You may want to look, and rent/shoot a sub compact 9MM like an S&W Shield, Springfield XDM Compact, and Walther PPS to start. Have an NRA instructor shoot with you, and give you some instruction as you are testing out any gun at a range.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:10 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,442,860 times
Quote:

Most women carry off body, and that opens up a lot more options.

Be very careful of small guns (both revolvers and semi0-automatics), as they tend to recoil quite harshly. It would be hard to go wrong with a 3" K-frame revolver, chambered in .38 special or .357 mag. If you get the magnum chambering, stick to shooting .38 special ammunition. A 3" or 4" S&W Model 10 or Model 13 (among others) would be ideal.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:22 PM

1,096 posts, read 374,023 times
old school...J-Frame Smith...used to scare off dinosaurs back in the day.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:08 PM

1,468 posts, read 723,854 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
This is a great site, written by a woman, for women. It will answer a lot of questions.

Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

That being said, easy to carry, easy to conceal, and easy to shoot are often at odds with each other. Something small, and light will have harsher felt recoil. It often discourages new shooters. You may want to look, and rent/shoot a sub compact 9MM like an S&W Shield, Springfield XDM Compact, and Walther PPS to start. Have an NRA instructor shoot with you, and give you some instruction as you are testing out any gun at a range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Most women carry off body, and that opens up a lot more options.

Be very careful of small guns (both revolvers and semi0-automatics), as they tend to recoil quite harshly. It would be hard to go wrong with a 3" K-frame revolver, chambered in .38 special or .357 mag. If you get the magnum chambering, stick to shooting .38 special ammunition. A 3" or 4" S&W Model 10 or Model 13 (among others) would be ideal.
I have not gone to that site, but before you buy a gun, one of the biggest things to do is go to a range, or gun shop, the GUN has to fit your hand first and foremost. If you cannot hold it properly or manipulate it properly, you will not be able to shoot it properly. Once you find a gun that fits your hand, that is when you can go to the range and rent the same type, see if that is even anything that you can actually use. I have bought gun's only to find I did not like how they would shoot and got rid of them.

As other have said, smaller guns are easier to conceal, but their reduced size and weight means more felt recoil when you do shoot it. More weight means a little harder to hold steady, also means less felt recoil as the gun it's self takes up some of that recoil, before transferring the rest of the recoil energy to you the shooter.

So what works for me, most likely will not work for you, as I have large hands. Good luck in your search. And be careful

Old 10-20-2018, 09:52 PM

5,494 posts, read 4,612,753 times
Learn to let the recoil surprise you.
I have trained folks with air guns first .

getting accustomed to the trigger and response is a lot to absorb to start with . Some folk start with .22 caliber being very mild . the air gun allows one to practice realistically out side the range environment . There is an air gun (CO2) for almost every single fire arm design. Some copies are better then others, basically you get what you pay for.

I had a friend that was talked into a smith and Wesson feather weight .38 special revolver, and it hurt to shoot even me with my tough hands . that kind of pain will be a problem in a real time event .one cannot afford a moments hesitation.
Another gun she was talked into was an M&P 9MM good gun but hard to load the magazine .need an assist each time.

things to consider .

Old 10-20-2018, 10:46 PM

11,075 posts, read 14,746,774 times
S&W model 13-4 FBI special with .357 mag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or