Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 07:22 AM

34,134 posts, read 18,389,708 times

Advertisements

Depending on what I am wearing, I rotate a CZ-75D PCR, HK P7, and Polish P-83.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:54 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,500,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I change the carry paradigm every few years, for no burning reason.
I used to do that too. I've had my current gun for over 3.5 years now, though. No plans to switch anytime soon. I think I've owned just about everything at 1 time or another in the past. Taking a break from that nonstop buying now.

Quote:
The only problem with HK is the higher cost of entry.

That has 100% been true in the past. But a year or more back, HK finally lowered their prices on most of their guns. Prices are much better now, unless you are chasing the USP and USPc models.

Quote:
PS: my former and forever carry is a semi-custom 1911 Commander built for me by Luke Volkmann.

Yes, he makes some awesome 1911s!

I have not owned one of those, but I have had two Ed Browns and a Springer Customshop gun in the past.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:32 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,092,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Yes, he makes some awesome 1911s!

I have not owned one of those, but I have had two Ed Browns and a Springer Customshop gun in the past.
If one "insists" on holding to the 1911 paradigm for EDC...and we're a strange tribe...I could not recommend anything else more-highly. All-steel Commander is a bit heavy, but not as much as full-sized. I sold a full-sized Springfield Custom Shop 'Professional' (the HRT gun) about seven years ago only because it was a bit big to actually carry concealed. On one's hip, sure. And it was great for pin shoots and similar, plus a 2K rounds in 3 day course I took with only a couple minor FTFs (tap/rack, problem solved). It's still going today, with another owner, and I bet he has 75K rounds through it at this point.

I didn't realize when I bought it would be worth as much or more than I paid for it, but there it was. Demand was pretty high, when I stumbled across one in 2002 I didn't hesitate to leap on it.

As for my Commander, I'm guessing it's the NP3 coating, which is permanently a bit slick, and Luke's tuning for reliability that has resulted in not one...not ever...FTF from my "Combat Commander." I should find that guy (instructor) who used to say he'd rebate the cost of a class if he ever encountered a student with ZERO FTFs in a 1911, over a weekend of his course(s). Obviously nothing but contempt for them, which is too bad, though I've seen them fail in bad ways myself. And the first class I took, 800 rounds in three days, was with a Glock 26 9mm that also never failed. That, and the G19, are legendary reliability.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:34 PM

I actually used to carry a fullsize Beretta 92FS for 3.5 years. BUt, I can't do the weight anymore.

I have an SI joint that comes out of place all the time (low back/hip), and anything too heavy on my side makes my whole right side hip hurt. That HK P2000 is the heaviest gun I can comfortably carry now. So, no way I can carry a 1911 again. I did so in the last 1990s, though.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:42 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,873,980 times
I am a revolver guy.

S&W 638

Old 10-18-2018, 08:20 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,771,348 times
Ruger LC9S 99% of the time. Used to carry Glock 19 w/2 extra magazines, but the hip and SI joint pain forced me to the lighter pistol. I already had a good gun belt, so I began using belt suspenders with a looser belt to move the weight and pressure off the hip and SI joint. It has worked out very well. I do have to wear a covering garment over this rig in order to carry concealed, but that is not a problem in the summer, since I hardly ever tuck in my shirts anyway.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 PM

34,134 posts, read 18,389,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
I actually used to carry a fullsize Beretta 92FS for 3.5 years. BUt, I can't do the weight anymore.

I have an SI joint that comes out of place all the time (low back/hip), and anything too heavy on my side makes my whole right side hip hurt. That HK P2000 is the heaviest gun I can comfortably carry now. So, no way I can carry a 1911 again. I did so in the last 1990s, though.
Shipwreck is that you? Where is the "Wheel 'O Berettas"?

Old 10-18-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Shipwreck is that you? Where is the "Wheel 'O Berettas"?
Yes, it is I. I don't have a computer with me right now, so I can't post my Wheel-O-Berettas. Maybe on Monday.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:30 PM

10,392 posts, read 5,524,127 times
Quote:
I change the carry paradigm every few years, for no burning reason.

My life does not include a strong threat of deadly violence day-to-day. I do take mass transit and that is a threat, but considering it starts and ends in million dollar neighborhoods, I don't feel at-all unsafe.

So, answer as of last summer is this: a striker fire HK VP9SK. They compete and compare w/Glock 26. I had a G26 twenty years ago and traded in for good money on something else. The HK is marvelous to both carry and shoot.

The only problem with HK is the higher cost of entry. They make absolutely *superb* pistols, and always have, and I'd never had the proper chance to own one. Well, the VP9 and VP9SK solve that via less moving parts, thus cheaper to build while still maintaining their sky-high quality. I have no problem with striker-fire guns, personally. No safety, hammer, and "ready/not" state (two and only two) bothers some, but note I always carry loaded and unlocked, 1911s to VP9SK, so I'm used to all that.

It's light enough and with advances in 9mm ammo, packs a major wallop anymore. I shoot 9mm quite well, and practice ammo is cheap again, much more so than 45ACP, my real favorite (it's a toss up these days in terms of favorites for me).

Two ways to carry:

1. My Indy Bag from Saddleback leather. Can't be more obvious. But I usually have a DSLR mirrorless camera in there too, with my wallet, cellphone, and a very few other many-needs. Great convenience, if a small canvas man-bag is your thing.

2. I have a neat deep conceal body holster, draw right and mag on left. Comfortable and safe. Didn't use much this summer, and boy is it great for winter and times when I want no one to know a thing about what I'm up to!

My baton is by-far the more interesting non-lethal I almost always carry. Great for dogs, though it's highly intimidating to deploy on anyone. Haven't had to, lately. My previous baton, the smaller size, I did. I now have a 10" that extends to about 24", on my desk, and *no one* is the wiser because it just doesn't look like much. That will get me out of 90% trouble, I figure. I've walked or jogged the streets a hundred times with that thing in my hand, it looks like an umbrella, Maglight, or nothing at all and people just don't ask. Lay hands on me = broken wrist, immediately. The HK is last-extremis, of course.

PS: my former and forever carry is a semi-custom 1911 Commander built for me by Luke Volkmann. The 1911 that always, 100%, goes *bang* when needed, in part due to the highly excellent NP3 coating that self-lubricates the gun. It's a tad heavy so mostly sees safe time these days, which is okay too. I'd love to have a Cabot Arms Southpaw and learn to shoot left...kind of spendy, though, for a lark and the whole two-gun thing is mostly a Hollywood trope.
Am I reading that correctly? You carry a 1911 without the safety on?

Old 10-20-2018, 01:50 AM

300 posts, read 326,524 times
Glock 20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting