U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 03:34 PM

7,901 posts, read 6,472,299 times

Advertisements

I just read on another forum that he actually stole it while he was in the Marines.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 03:45 PM

12,623 posts, read 12,065,272 times
There is a lot more to this story, no way someone is getting seven years for that.

Yea, I guess technically there have been absurd sentencing, but I have a feeling there is much more to this.

Seven years for a non-modified auto, with the numbers scratched, and was not used in the commission of a crime? Doubt.

Someone also tipped, probably linked to the recent wife passing and probably a bit of an inter-family battle.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:48 PM

1,107 posts, read 857,097 times
I think it depends on where you're at for the offense. Some states are more harsh than some others.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:14 PM

585 posts, read 1,746,340 times
Are there any select fire M14 rifles on the market that can be purchased legally? I was under the impression that no select fire M14 rifles had been released for civilian purchase.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:08 PM

5,220 posts, read 2,375,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
Are there any select fire M14 rifles on the market that can be purchased legally?
Yes there are. Current prices are the $20,000 range.

Quote:
I was under the impression that no select fire M14 rifles had been released for civilian purchase.
Like most of the modern stuff, they were either released on the civilian market direct from manufacturers (rather than surplus military stuff) or they are converted semi rifles.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
I think it depends on where you're at for the offense. Some states are more harsh than some others.
This is a federal issue. Violation of the NFA ‘34 or GCA ‘68. The state where it occurred is pretty much irrelevant.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:27 AM

3,995 posts, read 1,774,084 times
They found drugs during the raid? His own daughter turned him in?
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/guns...rifle-purchase

I’ll bet there is still more to this story.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:34 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
They found drugs during the raid? His own daughter turned him in?
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/guns...rifle-purchase

I’ll bet there is still more to this story.
Something like this is what i was looking for. A few more details that indicate this wasn’t just some over zealous judge authorizing no ATF raid.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:41 PM

3,995 posts, read 1,774,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Something like this is what i was looking for. A few more details that indicate this wasn’t just some over zealous judge authorizing no ATF raid.
Yup, I kind of figured. ATF agents get their a$$ handed to them by federal court judges when they act presumptively or get sloppy; I’ve seen it happen.

I don’t think this guy, as an individual; is really representative of your typical gun collector. What I would be interested in knowing, is the history of that particular gun that had its numbers scratched out.

The ATF loves to hunt guns the way that the FBI hunts the perpetrators & they will execute long undercover operations as well as hand down multiple indictments just to find that one weapon, used in a shooting decades ago & traded about 5 times in between the cartels & neighborhood dope dealers.

Of course, anybody who was ever even in the same room as the gun, gets interrogated, threatened with the “conspiracy” charge & winds up with their name on a discovery (& later the “snitch lists”).

This guy’s gun story is a bit different in that it had been purchased at a gun show years previously & was not being tracked through multiple states by various criminals. I wonder if he is the one who scratched out the numbers?

Old 10-21-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Yup, I kind of figured. ATF agents get their a$$ handed to them by federal court judges when they act presumptively or get sloppy; I’ve seen it happen.

I don’t think this guy, as an individual; is really representative of your typical gun collector. What I would be interested in knowing, is the history of that particular gun that had its numbers scratched out.

The ATF loves to hunt guns the way that the FBI hunts the perpetrators & they will execute long undercover operations as well as hand down multiple indictments just to find that one weapon, used in a shooting decades ago & traded about 5 times in between the cartels & neighborhood dope dealers.

Of course, anybody who was ever even in the same room as the gun, gets interrogated, threatened with the “conspiracy” charge & winds up with their name on a discovery (& later the “snitch lists”).

This guy’s gun story is a bit different in that it had been purchased at a gun show years previously & was not being tracked through multiple states by various criminals. I wonder if he is the one who scratched out the numbers?

Good points.

Something that I'm curious about, has it actually been established that the gun in question is actually an M-14 (or a select-fire converted M1A)? News reporters are horrendous at getting gun facts correct, and they easily could have mis-reported this as a full-auto weapon, when in fact it isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or