Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 12:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Indeed it does. The serial number scratched off is a giveaway that it was stolen.
If this dude wanted an M14 as a collector you get one with a semi-automatic receiver if you didn't want to undergo the trouble of getting the proper licenses. I have an M16, retro late 60s vietnam-era Colt A2 all the way...except for the semi-auto receiver/lower.

Automatic weapons in the US have been regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934

I went through this years ago. I had several AR-15's. I wanted to convert one to selective fire. I learned I had to call the local ATF and they would send me the proper paper work. I called them about 4:00 one after noon. The next morning I had a large yellow package in my mailbox. That sort of surprised me getting it that fast. I guess they dont play around. Lots information they wanted, plus a form for my fingerprints. I assume take this somewhere to get fingerprinted and notarized.This was for the $200 stamp, to own a selective fire rifle. I could NOT legally get the parts and convert it myself. Strangely, I could own the parts, but they could not be installed on the gun.

Once the background check was done, and I paid and received the stamp. I could then show proof of the stamp to who ever was to concert it, be it a shop or individual that was authorized, sell the rifle to the shop / individual, that was authorized to purchase and install the parts on the rifle for selective fire. I then would buy back my converted rifle from the shop / individual. That was the process then to get one converted. I assume you could acquire the stamp and buy a selective fire rifle from an authorized dealer. Not sure about now. That was how it was done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 04:03 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
I went through this years ago. I had several AR-15's. I wanted to convert one to selective fire. I learned I had to call the local ATF and they would send me the proper paper work. I called them about 4:00 one after noon. The next morning I had a large yellow package in my mailbox. That sort of surprised me getting it that fast. I guess they dont play around. Lots information they wanted, plus a form for my fingerprints. I assume take this somewhere to get fingerprinted and notarized.This was for the $200 stamp, to own a selective fire rifle. I could NOT legally get the parts and convert it myself. Strangely, I could own the parts, but they could not be installed on the gun.

Once the background check was done, and I paid and received the stamp. I could then show proof of the stamp to who ever was to concert it, be it a shop or individual that was authorized, sell the rifle to the shop / individual, that was authorized to purchase and install the parts on the rifle for selective fire. I then would buy back my converted rifle from the shop / individual. That was the process then to get one converted. I assume you could acquire the stamp and buy a selective fire rifle from an authorized dealer. Not sure about now. That was how it was done.
I hear you brother. Whoever said gun controls in this country are lax never dealt with the ATF. I learned that trying to get my type 03 license, a mere collector of curios and relics. That alone took about a year, multiple mails (not emails, as the ATF still seems to have not comprehended electronic capabilities from this century) and phone calls dealing with little old ladies apparantly using typewriters and manual filing systems in Gathiersburg, Maryland.
I will tell you how tough ATF is - this Vietnam era M16 "clone" business is big with the collector crowd, AR15.com actually has an entire subforum dedicated to it. OK you don't want to have it original auto (or burst fire as the case may be) so build with original colt parts, or repro parts, and you change the lower to a repro semi auto, but the collectors want it to be as close to original looking as possible. My selector switch is able to switch over to the burst/auto fire setting, of course that's only cosmetic, there is no auto functionality. But the relic market is getting busted by ATF for not only letting the switch go over to that setting but also putting a cosmetic auto sear hole in the receiver. Some ATF guy apparently made a ruling that it's now been modified to fire auto. Crazy. These things CANNOT auto fire without a machinist boring out the lower.

Nothing to do with this guy, the topic of the thread, who apparently had it coming, but gives people an example of how tough ATF is.

Old 10-27-2018, 04:07 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:

That was pre 1986, right? In 1986 there was a ban on newly made, or imported full auto rifles unless for military, or law enforcement. That's why they are starting at $15K an up, because the supply is FINITE.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:04 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:

Since you’re talking about converting an AR-15, this must have been prior to 1986 (no way for it to be done legally post 1986). But there is a little confusion about the process.

You could have modified the receiver to accept a regular auto sear by filing a Form 1. You could have made a Lightning Link or a DIAS, also by filing a form 1, or you could have purchased a Lightning Link or DIAS by filing a Form 4. None of those options would have required an “authorized” individual to do the work, or to install the parts- you could have done it yourself. Prior to 1986, you would only need a NFA dealer to purchase an NFA item from out of state.

Old 10-28-2018, 04:37 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Since you’re talking about converting an AR-15, this must have been prior to 1986 (no way for it to be done legally post 1986). But there is a little confusion about the process.

You could have modified the receiver to accept a regular auto sear by filing a Form 1. You could have made a Lightning Link or a DIAS, also by filing a form 1, or you could have purchased a Lightning Link or DIAS by filing a Form 4. None of those options would have required an “authorized” individual to do the work, or to install the parts- you could have done it yourself. Prior to 1986, you would only need a NFA dealer to purchase an NFA item from out of state.

Yes it was the early 1980's when I was interested in this. The procedures I mentioned were given to me if I was interested. Glad I didnt get into that.
Right about this same time. I was at work one day, and my boss came up to me and said some one from the Department of Defense wants to talk to you, He's in the cafeteria, and what did I do. Im thinking oh chit! I go to the large cafeteria we had at the plant. Big room with lots of tables and chairs. One guy in the middle of the room, with a table full of paper work. But it wasnt about me. One of the guys I worked with that got out of the service the year earlier, had put in for a job with the Department of Defense. Interviewing me about him.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:54 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Indeed it does. The serial number scratched off is a giveaway that it was stolen.
If this dude wanted an M14 as a collector you get one with a semi-automatic receiver if you didn't want to undergo the trouble of getting the proper licenses. I have an M16, retro late 60s vietnam-era Colt A2 all the way...except for the semi-auto receiver/lower.

Automatic weapons in the US have been regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Again, no license required (under Federal law).

Thats not an M-16.
That and the A2 was not even around in the late 60's.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
That and the A2 was not even around in the late 60's.
My mistake, you are correct. Not sure why I said A2, maybe because even in Vietnam there were several different M16 releases. This as I remember being designed after the second major release of the M16 to resolve the frequent jamming and misfires experienced by the troops on the original model.

For those Captain Obviouses among us - Obviously it is not a government issue M16. Call it a vietnam-era M16 "clone" retro-build, call it an AR15 if you like, with the same features as the Vietnam era M16's - triangular handguard, 1/12 twist, long 20 inch barrel, fixed carry handle (A2's have the detachable handle), 20 round magazine, teardrop forward assist, etc. It's built with a retro (cosmetically period correct, except semi-auto) lower by Nodak Spud, popular with the retro build crowd.

On the name AR15 - let's not get caught up in that name. It's now entered the generic vocabulary but I think the term AR15 is still trademarked by Colt. Essentially, none of us have AR15's, we have "AR15 like" rifles unless it's Colt. But who cares....it's meaningless semantics. That's only for people that get stuck on terms such as "licensing", etc.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:58 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
My mistake, you are correct. Not sure why I said A2, maybe because even in Vietnam there were several different M16 releases. This as I remember being designed after the second major release of the M16 to resolve the frequent jamming and misfires experienced by the troops on the original model.

For those Captain Obviouses among us - Obviously it is not a government issue M16. Call it a vietnam-era M16 "clone" retro-build, call it an AR15 if you like, with the same features as the Vietnam era M16's - triangular handguard, 1/12 twist, long 20 inch barrel, fixed carry handle (A2's have the detachable handle), 20 round magazine, teardrop forward assist, etc. It's built with a retro (cosmetically period correct, except semi-auto) lower by Nodak Spud, popular with the retro build crowd.

On the name AR15 - let's not get caught up in that name. It's now entered the generic vocabulary but I think the term AR15 is still trademarked by Colt. Essentially, none of us have AR15's, we have "AR15 like" rifles unless it's Colt. But who cares....it's meaningless semantics. That's only for people that get stuck on terms such as "licensing", etc.
Actually the M-16A2 did not have a detachable hand guard. I would know- I trained with the older M-16 in basic training and several years later the first a2's were replacing them.

I believe the a4 variant was the first to receive the flat top and removable hand guard.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Actually the M-16A2 did not have a detachable hand guard. I would know- I trained with the older M-16 in basic training and several years later the first a2's were replacing them.

I believe the a4 variant was the first to receive the flat top and removable hand guard.
Yikes...another one I got wrong. Seriously, I used to know all this about a year or 2 ago as I was planning to build my own clone. I was the M16 expert - looking up the exact shapes of the forward assist, the slight differences in butt stocks between models, I was studying all this in preperation for the build. In the end I found a deal for one already built, much cheaper than I could do on my own. All that knowledge I flushed away out of my mind since then.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:55 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Meh it’s not hard to confuse these sorts of things. The only reason I even recalled it was because I recently built an upper using the A4 receiver and and a removable carry handle.

During my initial search for an upper I was waffling between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting